Help Buying New Ebike

DSal

Local time
6:55 AM
Hello! I'm looking for some guidance and suggest as to which ebike I should buy. I'm male, 5'9 and roughly 220 lbs. I'm looking for an ebike that will mostly be roads/commute. Some trails would be nice, but won't be the reason for buying. I would like a powerful ebike, maybe even with throttle, but it has to be a step-over frame. I would like it to go over 28mph and have a good range, but it's more important to me to have the right style and power. Here's a list I'm sorting through.

Giant Explore e+2
Aventon Level2 commuter and soltera
Ride one up 700 series
Specialized turbo vato sl4.0 (eq)
Ariel Rider Kepler
Gazelle Medo t10+ HMB
Juiced Crosscurrent X
Denago City Model 1 Top-Tube Ebike

If anyone could give me their input and suggestions to help me make a decision I would greatly appreciate it! I'm also open to hearing other suggestions as well!

Not as a person with ebike experience, but as someone in a similar boat trying to make choices. My total real life experience is a test ride of the Aventon Pace 350.2 and Pace 500.3. I have been focused mostly on Aventon models.

My first question would be whether or not you have a strong preference about riding position, and whether or not saving a few bucks is an important factor. The Pace series is nice if you like to sit more upright. The Pace 500, having the articulating stem, can allow you to sit even more upright. If you want to be better positioned to maneuver then the Level2 I think would be better suited. When I rode the Pace 500, which was my first upright ride in a very long time, I found it to be very comfortable and really liked it a lot.

The Pace 350.2 and 500.2 have cadence sensors. The 350.3 and 500.3 have torque sensors. I really preferred the torque sensor, and would recommend that unless trying shave as much $ as you can. The 350 is limited to 20mph. The 500 can be unlocked to provide up to 28mph. But again, if you like a more aggressive riding position, the Level2 seems like a great choice.

ecrawler has some good points.

I have the Aventon Level.2. It's a very nice bike, but you have to be OK with a forward lean. (I'm 5'8, 190#) On an hour-long ride, my hands are numb at the end. I'm getting a new stem fitted tomorrow to bring the bar up and back.

I bought the Level.2 over the 500.2 because it came with the rack & fenders and also had torque sensing, which the 350 and 500 models didn't at that time. It IS a more natural feeling; just boosts what you're doing instead of accelerating me to a set speed when I start pedaling. I've had this up to 33 mph, but that takes some work as it's only assisted up to 28, and even getting to 28 with full assistance takes some work.

I picked the Level.2 partly because it has street tires. My previous Class 3 bike had fat knobbies, and it REALLY saps the power, between pulling the knobs through the air and the high rolling resistance of 20 psi tires. I took a pass on the Kepler for that reason.

The $pecialized looked nice, but too rich for my blood.

I purchased a Dost Drop Chain (dostbikes.com) last fall and loved riding it. It is a mid-drive 750w motor which is a requirement for around where I live with hills everywhere. The 9 speed chain drive SRAM allows the mid-drive motor to give it 120nM of torque (think hill climbing power) with pedal assist 0-5 or 0-9 cadence sensing controller and has a throttle. It's a solid rugged design and comes with a rack on the back to put a bag to carry any necessities. I'd advocate for checking their various models out, including carbon fiber belt driven e-bikes. BTW I have mine up for sale if interested (as I am upgrading to a carbon fiber belt Enviolo transmission) if you or anyone else is interested. Contact me directly if you have questions on it. Good luck on your quest!

......but it has to be a step-over frame...... ......it's more important to me to have the right style and power........

DSal,
I forgot to ask previously. Is the reason for the step-over frame about looks/style or strength or both? I'm just curious because in our case we're focusing mostly on step-throughs, even though the intent is for us dirt-bag males in the family. I want to have the flexibility for my wife to ride it as well. My understanding is that the idea that step-throughs being only for girl's bikes isn't necessarily true any more, especially for ebikes. I read somewhere that step-over frames are a little stronger for mountain bikes with less flex, and can be a little lighter since less reinforcement needed at the bottom of the V shape. And I've noticed that on some step-throughs the color selections aren't my first choice. But a step-through is still our first choice if it works out.

I have a Lectric XP 2.0 step thru......love the bike.....I like the step thru because I am 6'.4" 230 lbs.....I have a new right knee and hip.....the step thru makes it much easier to get on/off. Good luck with your search.

I ORDERED A METACYCLE 2 YEARS AGO
SONDORS SUPPORT KEEPS TELLING ME
"IT WILL DELIVER NEXT QUARTER DUE TO SUPPLY CHAIN ISSUES"
SO IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT ORDERING A METACYCLE, THINK ABOUT OTHER OPTIONS!!

Storm Sondors doesn't seem to be a great businessman, from what I've read.

Did you watch the review on it from the Canadian guy? Famous motorcycle channel. Tall, Polish-looking man.

Back