New battery - worth it? - Ariel Rideal

S

Saluki

I have an Ariel Rideal e-bike, bought new in Nov 2021. I used it during the 2022 season but the battery was dead when I tried it this spring. I contacted the manufacturer and sent in the battery for eval. They said it couldn't be repaired and a replacement would cost me $400. My question is why my battery failed and if one can only expect to get less than 6 months use out of a battery before a new one is needed! I'm debating whether the e-bike is worth it !

If a discharged battery is exposed to sub-freezing temperatures during the "off season", it can do permanent damage to the battery.
Most people charge the battery to 60% of full and store it inside during the winter.
Also, leaving a battery in a discharged (or fully charged) state (long term) shortens its life as well.

So, just got the bill for a new replacement battery from Ariel - $432 ! That's almost 50% of what I paid for the bike when purchased brand new! Is there any alternative? Does anyone make an after-market battery that would fit my Ariel Rideal at say $200 or so? It's hard to justify spending 50% of the total cost of the bike on a battery - the original of which lasted only @ 5 months.

So, just got the bill for a new replacement battery from Ariel - $432 ! That's almost 50% of what I paid for the bike when purchased brand new! Is there any alternative? Does anyone make an after-market battery that would fit my Ariel Rideal at say $200 or so? It's hard to justify spending 50% of the total cost of the bike on a battery - the original of which lasted only @ 5 months.
They are out there, you just have to really look.
See if you can match your battery then find a good vendor from ebay perhaps.

Hope that helps :)

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
or try here..look througbh the menu and possibly email this guy: support@jag35.com

Ariel not only was charging $432 for the new battery, but then proceeded to add in the tax twice and charge another $85 for shipping to bring the grand total to $535! I only paid $899 for the bike - delivered. So next question - where can I find a after-market replacement battery that will plug right in to my bike?

Ariel not only was charging $432 for the new battery, but then proceeded to add in the tax twice and charge another $85 for shipping to bring the grand total to $535! I only paid $899 for the bike - delivered. So next question - where can I find a after-market replacement battery that will plug right in to my bike?
They are out there, you just have to really look.
See if you can match your battery then find a good vendor from ebay perhaps.

www.ebay.com

48v ebike battery for sale | eBay

Get the best deals for 48v ebike battery at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

www.ebay.com

Hope that helps :)

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If you dont decide to buy a battery for your bike. I would be interested in buying the rear wheel assembly & the electronics.

It's a hard lesson - but YES - leaving charger connected to a eBike battery all winter Kills that battery

Randy was one of the 1st Rideal Adopters.... back in 2021 he blogged link below - note the Sales Contact is old/old.

48V Hailong Battery - dimensions in the blog post - you can source on Amazon - eBay - aliexpress.

CLICK HERE RANDY RIDES BUYS 2ND RIDEAL BATTERY

First you say Nov 2021. I used it during the 2022, then only lasts 6 months, Nov 2021. I used it during the 2022 is more than 6 months ?

It took less than 10 seconds to find a replacement, under $200. Amazon.

Did it occur to you to actually lift one or more of your own fingers to solve your problem? What exactly have you been doing other than whining to others to solve your problem for you? I am amazed.

When you get the new one, R T F M

Well decided that I will go ahead and purchase the new battery. There really wasn't an alternative. I did enquire as to how to treat the battery over the winter off season as far as charging/storage/etc. It's been an expensive lesson.

It took less than 10 seconds to find a replacement, under $200. Amazon.

Did it occur to you to actually lift one or more of your own fingers to solve your problem? What exactly have you been doing other than whining to others to solve your problem for you? I am amazed.

When you get the new one, R T F M

WOW what an A*****E, American ??????????

Thanks, but no thanks. I've never had such response to a question on any forum before. I'm out of here.

EIHegpah,

Although I agree with your facts, you must know by now that Europeans prize tact over raw information.
These days, many go through life, and have never had a nose bloodied in a fisticuff confrontation.
(Okay, maybe not the Irish, but then, you cannot erase your essential nature).

Back