Battery won't hold charge

S

Saluki

I purchased an Ariel Rider Rideal in November2021. I used iv last season - May thru October. This year I got the bike out , charged the battery and went for my first ride. In less than 15 minutes the bike conked out, even though 95% of the ride I was using minimum to no electric assist. I thought perhaps I hadn't charged the battery enough. Did an overnight charge, plugged in - charge read "full". But again, in 10 minutes it went dead. So what to do now? New battery - at $250 a pop and lasting one season that seems a bit much. Anything I'm missing?

How long did it sit thru winter and how was it charged during that time period?

Most likely, your BMS killed the parallel group it was attached to and your battery is seriously damaged. You need to periodically charge during long term storage.

I had it charging much of the winter. The charger indicated that it was/is fully charged, tho the small lights? on the battery itself do not light up.

I had it charging much of the winter. The charger indicated that it was/is fully charged, tho the small lights? on the battery itself do not light up.
I think that may be your issue. Long term storage anything over couple of weeks these batteries like to be stored at about 70% charge.

By you keeping the charger on it most of the winter months and possibly over charging it may have damaged the battery pack beyond recovery. Have you tried using a volt/ohm meter in DC volt setting to measure the voltage at the connections points on the battery pack? Thats the first thing I would do.

Also you stated in your post that a new battery is $250.00 which is extremely low for any pack. Are you sure of that price if so how big in Watt hours is the battery pack. You should be able to find that information on the battery itself. BTW the cheapest replacement battery Ariel Rider offers is $480 and go up to $750 on their site under replacement parts.

They dont like being stored for long periods of time fully charged and that will kill their charge capacity very quickly. its best to never have them more then about 70 or 80% charged if you're going to be going for more than a few days without using them. they also don't like to go for long fully discharged either or to be fully discharged often. all of which can drastically shorten their life spans and will drastically reduce their charge capacty

I agree with the others, you got a bad battery. At least you can actually still get one and your eBike maker is still in business. Probably worth the investment of a new battery

Back