Hub vs mid drive??

B

blakeman62

What are the pros and cons of these both systems on a commuter ebike?
Is one better than the other in urban and rural riding? How much power is adequate for a commuter ebike?

I've been commuting on a eBike since 2013. For commuting in traffic I recommend at least 6000W. You can get by with as little as 1500w which will do about 35 mph, but your range will be more diminished from the need to run at full throttle most of the time. I like at least 50 mph capability so that cruising at 35 to 40 doesn't deplete my battery so fast. Mid drive or hub drive doesn't matter, but if you don't want to be working on your bike all the time, get a hub drive. Make sure your bike has pedals, they're helpful in situations where legality becomes an issue. Most police officers will consider pedals a dividing line between eBike, or motorcycle. Expect to spend about $5000, and up for a good commuter bike. consider yourself lucky, prices have come down a lot. I had to spend $10,000 for mine back in 2013. Imo the best E commuter bike right now that's readily available is an Onyx.

Sur Ron seat number 1 rs.jpg

The answer to your question depends on what your commute consists of. Flat ground or hilly areas. What distances are you planning to travel? What is your budget? Height and weight or rider.

A little of both type of areas, most times under 30 miles a day, $2000 or so, 5' 9" and 168lbs

Welecome - one of the great things about this forum is the wide range of owners/enthusiasts here for different pointd of view.

For a Casual Commuter (comfort) available now - I might suggest the Juiced Cross Current X at $1,399 could be a Solid Fit for you.

1. Jucied is a very solid/established eBike "brand"
2. Juiced does "engineer" each of their models - and there are aspects oof each Juiced model that Juiced can have where most others don't
3. Torque & Cadence Sensor for smoother Commuter shifting under pedal assist
4. Solid 52V Battery - excellent performing Bfang Rear Hub motor

I bought a Juiced RipCurrent 3mos ago to add to my eBike "Fleet" (with the Juiced makes 7) - and frankly starting with the unpacking (Juiced uses FULL internal foam packaging - where others use more zip ties and cardboard - received my Juice with zero scrathes/mars) ) - assembly - charging - 1st and successive riders I was impressed measured by my other eBikes - super solid eBike.

CLICK HERE JUICED CROSS CURRENT $1399

I wanted to change my Thumb Throttle to 1/2 Twist - called Juiced Customer Service (Michelle) ordered the part I needed - boom - 3 days later at my door - no drama !

On my RipCurrent : added FlatOut to ther tires (great thing) - added HyperShot 350 lumen tailight (greatest road safety thing 24/7) - added 2600 lumen rechargable handlebar mounted LED light bar (great night riding thing) - Comfort seat (great 24/7thing for me) - ArcLight city pedals (really cool - really doesn't add additional safety on top of the Hypershot tailight).

There are plenty of choices - that s my suggestion - decide soon to maximize our riding time befor emN snow !

Welecome - one of the great things about this forum is the wide range of owners/enthusiasts here for different pointd of view.

For a Casual Commuter (comfort) available now - I might suggest the Juiced Cross Current X at $1,399 could be a Solid Fit for you.

1. Jucied is a very solid/established eBike "brand"
2. Juiced does "engineer" each of their models - and there are aspects oof each Juiced model that Juiced can have where most others don't
3. Torque & Cadence Sensor for smoother Commuter shifting under pedal assist
4. Solid 52V Battery - excellent performing Bfang Rear Hub motor

I bought a Juiced RipCurrent 3mos ago to add to my eBike "Fleet" (with the Juiced makes 7) - and frankly starting with the unpacking (Juiced uses FULL internal foam packaging - where others use more zip ties and cardboard - received my Juice with zero scrathes/mars) ) - assembly - charging - 1st and successive riders I was impressed measured by my other eBikes - super solid eBike.

CLICK HERE JUICED CROSS CURRENT $1399

I wanted to change my Thumb Throttle to 1/2 Twist - called Juiced Customer Service (Michelle) ordered the part I needed - boom - 3 days later at my door - no drama !

On my RipCurrent : added FlatOut to ther tires (great thing) - added HyperShot 350 lumen tailight (greatest road safety thing 24/7) - added 2600 lumen rechargable handlebar mounted LED light bar (great night riding thing) - Comfort seat (great 24/7thing for me) - ArcLight city pedals (really cool - really doesn't add additional safety on top of the Hypershot tailight).

There are plenty of choices - that s my suggestion - decide soon to maximize our riding time befor emN snow !

Does this bike give an upright riding position? Can you get an adjustable stem to customize your riding position?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Are you looking to purchase an ebike or a conversion kit?
There are many utube videos addressing the pros and cons of each system. I recommend the videos by johnnynerdout. He installs and advocates mid drives but does a fair comparison of the two.
I don't have an ebike yet but have decided to get a mid drive conversion kit. For me, I need the torquey output of a mid drive because I reside in a hilly area. The other selling point for me is ease of tire and wheel swaps. Nothing changes with a mid drive. It becomes a bit more hassle with a hub drive when changing tires.
Mid drive units are more complicated to install. They require more tools and if you don't set up your chain line right, the chain can come off. But once set up properly, a mid drive will be as trouble free as a hub drive.

Back