throttle or no throttle? that is the question?

B

blakeman62

The reason I'm asking this question is because I'm looking at buying an ebike in the future. How important is having a throttle on an ebike? Does anyone who bought a ebike with a throttle wishes they had not bought an ebike without a throttle or vice versa? Please list of pros and cons to a throttle.

Thye They come in handy.
Some places won't let you ride with a throttle.
If you get one be sure to check local laws and be sure to be able to remove the throttle and put it in a waterproof place, make sense?

Welcome to the forums :cool:

Like HP says. I would add that a bike with a throttle is more flexible than one without one. You can choose not to use it or actually remove it. A bike with no throttle there generally no way to add one in the future. I can tell my experience is I would never have an e-bike without a throttle.

If you are asking about "Pedal-Assist-Only" and "Throttle Control No Pedal Assist Required" - as far as I know (and in this plitical enviorment all is subject to change) there is no Minnesota State restriction for the use of throttle equipped eBikes.

Is there a local/city regulation that you are concerned about ?

Absolutely would have a throttle. They are a safety feature in so far as being able to start from a standstill and maintaining balance or maneuvering in tight spaces or turns at low speed. I would not have an ebike without a throttle.

I'm a non throttle guy. I like to pedal. I ride mostly for exercise and recreation though, If I was commuting or something I expect I would want one.

As far as getting going quickly without a throttle all you have to do is kick it up a couple of levels and you can zoom with barely pedaling.

I have bafang mid drive bikes and can add or remove the throttle as I please, If I was to buy an ebike I would probably get one with a throttle but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either way.

I am all about pedaling on an ebike. If I wanted a motorcycle I'd go buy a real one. With that said, All of my bikes have throttles, and I would not buy or build one without a throttle (I did have one that was pedelec-only and I sold it).

As noted above, throttles come in handy. You just don't use it when you don't want it, but its there for you in case its convenient to use the thing. But there are a zillion little situations where it can be really helpful to have one available.

Coming up off of a stoplight is usually the only place I use one. The simplest way to get going is to do a 2-second throttle blip. Leave your PAS settings alone and just give the bike a short bump that goes away in an instant.

A good example of where I really need the throttle is when I first get on the bike after taking it out of the shed where I keep it. I have to make a hairpin turn around and between some shrubbery and then up an incline to access the trail. I have to creep up the incline and look to make sure I'm not pulling out on someone coming down the trail as my line of sight is blocked both ways until I'm right up to the trail. Bumping the throttle a bit as I maneuver around and onto the trail makes this a lot easier and safer. Yes, I could just walk the bike up to the trail but I kind of like doing my little maneuver and getting a feel for the bike just starting out. I'm still on an incline as I pull out onto the trail so the throttle gives me that little boost to get going without struggling to pedal and maintain balance at the low speed uphill start. My bike is big and heavy (70# KBO Breeze step over) and I'm 72+ years old so a little help from a throttle is very nice in some situations.

Thats an interesting example, as I've found a similar use. In dead-slow, ultra-sharp turns, usually starting from a stop and often in some kind of very cramped area (like a u-turn on the bike path in the pic below), I will need absolute balance control, and pedaling throws that off. Hitting throttle on the front wheel motor (which is set to have a slow-slow-start) lets me concentrate entirely on balance and just use my thumb for momentary throttle blips to get me gently around in a circle so slow and so tight its barely navigable in the first place. This is a cargo bike that is 8 feet long so balance with a load in the cargo box and maybe in the panniers as well is a big level of difficulty up and over a normal bicycle.

I could dismount and walk it but its a hell of a lot more convenient to do it this way.

20230813_182655-EDIT.jpg

A sharp Packster - Respect. Is that a Rottnest misty morning in the background mate ?

I am new to e-bikes but an old mtb rider, and I don’t think I would enjoy my new RipRacer without the throttle. On smooth surfaces and level ground I could manage, but I intend to also ride hills and trails with it, a throttle keeps this manageable. At 65 I don’t have the same strength and agility I had when I was a young knucklehead, more practice with pedal and throttle for me to overcome the slow single speed starts in the rough. Good luck.

I ride forest service hiking trails which have some really steep sections. I can ride most of them but when it gets too steep to keep the front wheel down or I don't have enough traction to keep going, or a root or rock stops me and I end up walking/pushing the bike I find the walk mode is woefully inadequate. My full suspension Felt weighs fifty pounds and is a B---- to push up a hill like that. I am going to have to go ahead and give a throttle a try for this.

I don't know anything about throttle setting as I haven't had one, I need to study up on it to figure out what would work best for this kind of use.

Thats an interesting example, as I've found a similar use. In dead-slow, ultra-sharp turns, usually starting from a stop and often in some kind of very cramped area (like a u-turn on the bike path in the pic below), I will need absolute balance control, and pedaling throws that off. Hitting throttle on the front wheel motor (which is set to have a slow-slow-start) lets me concentrate entirely on balance and just use my thumb for momentary throttle blips to get me gently around in a circle so slow and so tight its barely navigable in the first place. This is a cargo bike that is 8 feet long so balance with a load in the cargo box and maybe in the panniers as well is a big level of difficulty up and over a normal bicycle.

I could dismount and walk it but its a hell of a lot more convenient to do it this way.

View attachment 11055
Nice picture, I can almost smell the air. I love the Monterey bay area.

A sharp Packster - Respect. Is that a Rottnest misty morning in the background mate ?
That is actually an early evening. I think it was about 6:30 pm. Fog is rolling in *hard* on my way back from the supermarket in Marina CA to my home in Pacific Grove using the Monterey Peninsula Recreational Trail, which is effectively a cyclist's highway to get from one end of the Bay to the other for daily errands. This pic is where/how I clean my chain. Much nicer than a plain ol' garage or back yard.

20230210_130640.jpg

Have a throttle, rarely use it.

Came in handy today trying to eat a gel pack while keeping up.

Throttle for 30 seconds worked great. Sometimes use it while crossing 2 lane country highways.

Back