E-moped/Hunting

Chucked

Local time
2:34 AM
So been lurking for a while and finally made an account to post some questions after basic research...

Like a lot of others the options can be overwhelming starting out from nothing. I'm looking more for off-road/utility with decent speed/power... so yes, more throttle and less pedal. It would mostly be on gravel or private trails/land and just the occasional pavement. Have a large hunting areas that an ebike would be ideal for to access farther points and get in/out easier without blowing anything up.

I may be using the excuse of for hunting but I'd still like to be able to ride it across town if needed (small rural area) or back roads and like the looks of more the e-moped/cafe racer/enduro style. I understand the hub vs mid pros and cons but was leaning towards dual motor if possible but it's limited options and higher costs. Plus even though mid drive has the torque I like the idea of hub in case of chain break, giving me a chance to get home or to a vehicle on throttle alone.

Before fully researching I was considering a QuietKat/Rambo/Backou just because they were more known and name brand but the pricing on some was a little hard to swallow. With liking the e-moped/cafe racer style instead of classic bike look (kinda thanks to QuietKat's Lynx) but wanting more gravel/offroad, I know that can be a limiting "wish list".

If going for dual motor it was along the lines of Ariel Grizzly (looks are just "ok" imo) or more recently Freego (thanks to @DieselTech posts) but if not dual then something like Revv1, HyperScrambler 2 (discontinued?), Romeo Pro, or even Wired Freedom if more classic bike look. Even something like the ubco 2x2 for more utility doesn't seem bad but still wanting pedals as a just in case and less hassle, plus ideally trying to stay in the $2k-$3k range if possible starting out.

Have concerns on anything just straight random amazon based also really aren't any local bike shops where I'm at, only road bike type ones. Might be capable to DIY but honestly lack the time and energy, don't mind trouble shooting an issue if needed but just want something that will work from the get go.

I could go on with specific details of this versus that but it's already a long post but you guys can get the general idea... offroad/hunting capable with bonus points for speed and style with general use.

Thanks for any input!!

It's obvious you've put your time into this question. I don't have the style of ride you're looking for, but as I'm sure you know they each have advantages. I did one of the conversion mid-drive kits. I chose that type because I thought it would be easier for me to maintain. I thought hub tires would be a pain to service, or switch between road /off road tread.

The mid drive chain breakage concern should not steer you away from considering mid-drive motors. It's kind of a red herring. Most riders who are concerned with that will bring a spare chain with them in their tool kit. I have one in my kit. I've gone all over the woods, through fields, pretty much anywhere on mine. I ride a lot in very hilly areas so having the gears of a mid drive is pretty sweet. I haven't broken a chain yet...maybe 800ish off road miles so far.

I value the ability to program the motor's different settings and having a throttle which can operate the bike without peddling. Those were the deciding factors for me. If you buy a bafang kit, just know you'll probably end up buying some add ons to make it better. Most people end up getting a better chainring and crank arms at the very least. That will add to the costs.

Dual motors would be pretty good for real off road type bushwacking style riding, but you'll need to be careful from washout on the front wheel on loose gravel roads. If you catch it wrong a washout can hit pretty hard. Not the end of the world as far as concerns go as long as you are aware.

You listed all the best reasons for getting an ebike/moped. Good luck on your decision!

It's obvious you've put your time into this question. I don't have the style of ride you're looking for, but as I'm sure you know they each have advantages. I did one of the conversion mid-drive kits. I chose that type because I thought it would be easier for me to maintain. I thought hub tires would be a pain to service, or switch between road /off road tread.

The mid drive chain breakage concern should not steer you away from considering mid-drive motors. It's kind of a red herring. Most riders who are concerned with that will bring a spare chain with them in their tool kit. I have one in my kit. I've gone all over the woods, through fields, pretty much anywhere on mine. I ride a lot in very hilly areas so having the gears of a mid drive is pretty sweet. I haven't broken a chain yet...maybe 800ish off road miles so far.

I value the ability to program the motor's different settings and having a throttle which can operate the bike without peddling. Those were the deciding factors for me. If you buy a bafang kit, just know you'll probably end up buying some add ons to make it better. Most people end up getting a better chainring and crank arms at the very least. That will add to the costs.

Dual motors would be pretty good for real off road type bushwacking style riding, but you'll need to be careful from washout on the front wheel on loose gravel roads. If you catch it wrong a washout can hit pretty hard. Not the end of the world as far as concerns go as long as you are aware.

You listed all the best reasons for getting an ebike/moped. Good luck on your decision!
Definitely not against a mid drive and the washout on gravel with dual drive was a concern.

Being able to haul game out isn’t necessary, most places I can get to with a vehicle or side by side after the fact if I had to. Just handling basic gear but being a hilly area with different types of terrain.

Little give and take with everything too. Fat or fat-ish tire, 20” vs 26”, and getting the right tires in general. Bike seats and I don’t get along, probably haven’t tried the right one tho, but that’s why I have full suspension on my list.

I know nothing will be perfect but I’d like to start ahead of the game on a few items with maybe some simple upgrades along the way. Starting out at least.

I own a dual 1Kw motor bike. A little discussion about "wash out of the front wheel". The bike I have is a Zeegr S1. Like most dual motor bikes, it has a switch for turning off the front motor. If I don't need the extra torque, it is switched off most the time. Risk of front tire wash out is zero when it is turned off.

When I have it switched on, I lean forward to put more weight on the front tire; this prevents wash out. I only get wash out if I am sitting straight up on the seat, and have the vast majority of my weight on the rear wheel, and little on the front wheel.

Summary: If you are in gravel, switch front motor on and lean forward. Wash out is quite manageable then. I have not tried snow, but suspect in that very slippery surface, under heavy throttle, wash out could happen. Ultimately, you have a throttle and can control how much power you are putting down. If the front wheel starts to slip, ease off on the throttle.

Just for grins Magicycle makes the Deer which was designed for hunting and deer retrieval. They have a bundle right now with a trailer.
750w rear hub, ok components, class 2/3.
IMG_1181.jpeg

Back