Choosing a new fat e-bike, but which one?

Buying back the battery of a DIY e-bike will be very problematic. Now they have to buy a new battery that may not be compatible with their motor or not be the correct size to fit in the triangle or their rear rack. Also, can you imagine someone who had bought a bike with an integrated battery and motor having to return the entire bike? I have not heard of any major manufacturer like Specialized, Trek, etc., having a recall like the car manufacturers do.
Luckily I'm in the midwest. But New York keeps adding all these messed up laws. I read a couple different articles that sounded as if any ebike/vehicle not UL listed to be banned or fined.

I feel bad for them guys up there, I think it's almost illegal to carry a butter knife in that state.

Yeah the integrated battery ebikes scare me, what you going to do in 2-3 years, when they are no longer available.

Yeah they will almost need to hire a ebike tech if they decide to implement a buy back clause. To spec the batterys to the bikes requirements to further reduce fire risks.

Luckily I'm in the midwest.

I have learned from battery manufacturers that the NY state law requiring UL certified batteries is only the beginning. The manufacturers anticipate every state in the US will require battery UL certification. I must admit this law makes sense; the battery is the most dangerous part of an e-bike, just as the gasoline inside a gas-powered motorcycle is the most dangerous part of the engine.

Although you live in the midwest, these new laws are currently being discussed in every state.

I have learned from battery manufacturers that the NY state law requiring UL certified batteries is only the beginning. The manufacturers anticipate every state in the US will require battery UL certification. I must admit this law makes sense; the battery is the most dangerous part of an e-bike, just as the gasoline inside a gas-powered motorcycle is the most dangerous part of the engine.

Although you live in the midwest, these new laws are currently being discussed in every state.
Yeah they are coming everywhere at some point. They are really cracking down on some of the laws, like DIY bikes/ebikes that exceed 28mph.

I have no interest in building batterys, they have No warranty. I dont have a problem thou of the batteries being UL listed.

Yeah they are coming everywhere at some point. They are really cracking down on some of the laws, like DIY bikes/ebikes that exceed 28mph.
As long as we can use the software within the control display that can limit the speed, then we should be ok. However, if police check for the wattage output of the motor, then we will have a major problem. Countries in Europe like Italy, France, and England have enormous fines for violating the maximum wattage law.

In the US, if we ride safely, are actively pedaling, do not exceed the speed limit on public roadways, and do not ride at 50 mph even though the speed limit is 55 mph, then I think we should be fine (at least I hope). Regarding the 28-mph speed limitation...riding at 50 mph is obviously faster than 28 mph. I do not need a police speed gun to notice the difference. Not only that, a standard bicycle helmet will not offer sufficient protection at that speed.

If people want to ride at very high speeds, take your e-bike to a dirt bike trail or track. Then you can derestrict the motor and go full throttle. (y)

As long as we can use the software within the control display that can limit the speed, then we should be ok. However, if police check for the wattage output of the motor, then we will have a major problem. Countries in Europe like Italy, France, and England have enormous fines for violating the maximum wattage law.

In the US, if we ride safely, are actively pedaling, do not exceed the speed limit on public roadways, and do not ride at 50 mph even though the speed limit is 55 mph, then I think we should be fine (at least I hope). Regarding the 28-mph speed limitation...riding at 50 mph is obviously faster than 28 mph. I do not need a police speed gun to notice the difference. Not only that, a standard bicycle helmet will not offer sufficient protection at that speed.
Yeah where I'm at in the midwest, we are allowed a 1000 watts legally. I havent even got my ebike yet, but been reading/studying over my states laws.

There is soo many loopholes in our states ebike laws. I found if your not being a idiot the cops will leave you alone & allow you to do almost anything with in reason. The biggest thing I've seen them hassle ebike riders with, is riding on the sidewalk or walking trails.

I agree with the cops, that no ebikes should be on the sidewalk or walking trails.

I found if your not being a idiot the cops will leave you alone & allow you to do almost anything with in reason.
Exactly. I think the e-bike laws are really targeted towards people who are being very foolish or being a danger to other motorists or pedestrians. Riding on a sidewalk is illegal with an analog bike (has been for decades). I watched some YouTube videos of people running stop signs and red lights and think it's fun. Another video showed someone riding their e-bike in a driving lane at 30 mph (the speed limit) with cars in front and behind them. What they failed to realize was that they have an e-bike, not a registered motorcycle or moped with a license plate (both requiring a motorcycle or comparable endorsement on your license). Fortunately, the video also showed a patrol car pulling over that e-bike.

Bikes or e-bikes on walking trails is a bit more complicated and the laws vary by state as well as by town ordinance. I have seen bikes on walking trails if no signs are posted indicating bikes are prohibited. I have ridden on these walking trails but very slowly and always remember that pedestrians have the right-of-way. However, if a posted sign states no bikes or e-bikes, then I am happy to comply.

Exactly. I think the e-bike laws are really targeted towards people who are being very foolish or being a danger to other motorists or pedestrians. Riding on a sidewalk is illegal with an analog bike (has been for decades). I watched some YouTube videos of people running stop signs and red lights and think it's fun. Another video showed someone riding their e-bike in a driving lane at 30 mph (the speed limit) with cars in front and behind them. What they failed to realize was that they have an e-bike, not a registered motorcycle or moped with a license plate (both requiring a motorcycle or comparable endorsement on your license). Fortunately, the video also showed a patrol car pulling over that e-bike.

Bikes or e-bikes on walking trails is a bit more complicated and the laws vary by state as well as by town ordinance. I have seen bikes on walking trails if no signs are posted indicating bikes are prohibited. I have ridden on these walking trails but very slowly and always remember that pedestrians have the right-of-way. However, if a posted sign states no bikes or e-bikes, then I am happy to comply.
I think I read it somewhere, but what ebike did you end up choosing? Thanks.

I think I read it somewhere, but what ebike did you end up choosing? Thanks.

I bought an Okai Ranger fat tire e-bike as my starter bike. I have been riding almost every night and feel like I am in my 20s again. :cool: In early 2024 I will be buying my dream fat bike and converting it into an e-bike. But I wanted to spend many months researching motors, batteries, controllers, wiring, lighting options, etc., before I buy anything. I was an active MTB rider for 15 years and know my way around an analog bike, but e-bikes are very different, not just the motor and battery. For example:

(1) How much torque can the cassette and chain handle before premature wear-and-tear requires replacement?
(2) What groupsets are better for e-bikes?
(3) Do I need to install torque arms on the rear fork to provide additional strength?
(4) How do I wire front and rear turning signals into a second battery?
(5) Which motor do I start with: a Bafang BBSHD or a CYC X1 Pro Gen 3?
(6) Which motors require a proprietary battery so I can avoid them, like the Bafang M625?

Over the past 1.5 months, I have asked dozens of questions on forums, as well as directly contacted these companies who have all responded to my numerous questions (in alphabetical order):

(1) Ariel Rider
(2) Bicycle Motor Works
(3) Carver
(4) Cirrus Cycles
(5) Christini Bikes
(6) CYC Motors
(7) E-Cells Bikes
(8) Fanatibike
(9) Frey Bikes
(10) Giro
(11) High Voltage
(12) Himiway
(13) Independent Fabricators
(14) JohnnyNerdOut
(15) Jones Bikes
(16) Lekkie
(17) Luna Cycles
(18) Nextie
(19) Okai
(20) Quickrstuff
(21) QuietKat
(22) Rohloff
(23) Rambo Bikes
(24) Scott
(25) SQLab
(26) Surly
(27) Zinn Cycles

Needless to say, I have had a crash course on e-bikes over the past 1.5 months and I am still learning. Many thanks to m@Robertson who has answered a plethora of questions on this forum, as well as over 3 dozen private messages.

Hey! Deciding on a new fat eBike can be a real head-scratcher with so many cool choices out there. But hey, if you're on the hunt for something rad, check out Demon Electric's collection. They've got some seriously awesome fat eBikes in their lineup, and they might just have the perfect one to suit your style and needs. Take a peek and see if anything catches your eye! Happy riding!

I keep hearing a recurring comment about riding an eBike on the streets, in a lane of traffic.

In most states you can do that with a regular pedal bike. You are expected to conform to the rules of the road.
The whole "keep to the right thing" is a serving suggestion, as sometimes a regular bicycle will need to get to the left lane, to enter the left-turn lane at an intersection. I recognize it is generally good to keep to the far right to allow cars to pass (and I do).

So no, I don't get excited when I see an eBike conforming to the same rules a car must obey, as it is also the same framework a regular bicycle must comply with as well.

Normally, when at a stop light, I will take ownership of the far-right lane, until I am clear of the intersection, and then I will shift right. This is to keep a car from pulling up on the next to me, and then TURNING RIGHT. I don't "lane filter/lane split, as this just makes drivers irate. I wait my turn just like other cars do.

Back