My eBike Build - Custom 2000’s Nashbar Bike

Chuy

Local time
4:17 AM
I am going to use this thread to document the mid-drive eBike conversion to my custom-built pedal-pushing Nashbar mtn bike. Truth be told, ‘custom‘ is used loosely here - other than the frame, I only needed a top-pull front derailleur to complete the ‘customization’ from the donor bike, an Ibex Ignition II I bought in 2005. The Nashbar frame I purchased in late 2000’s for about $150. At the time the Ibex had a leaking rear shock and I wanted the lighter weight of a hard tail. The resulting Nashbar bike has been an excellent all a-rounder; it should handle the power of the Bafang BBSHD motor I want to install. Besides, I don't ride hard and I don’t intend to ride single-track trails.
Note: I still have the Ibex dual-suspension frame and may decide to build it back up with a mid-drive kit as well one day.

BEFORE EBIKE CONVERSION
Type: 26-inch hardtail
Frame: 2007’ish Nashbar 7005 or 6061 series mtn-bike frame
Handlebar: Venzo bull horn 25.4x455mm (installed upside down)
Drivetrain: 8-speed, 11-32
Shifters: Shimano ST-EF51 with integrated brake levers
Crankset: Prowheel double 28/44; 175mm
Derailleurs: Microshift M26-rear; Shimano 3x8-front
Brakes: Tektro IO mechanical 160mm disc, front and rear
Fork: Marzocchi MZ Comp
Saddle: Terry Liberator
Seat post: Nashbar suspension seat post
Tires: Schwinn 26 X 1.95 mtn tread
Weight: 35 lbs

Some of the mechanicals came from a, now defunct internet based, Ibex mtn bike, i.e. brakes, stem, and fork. https://web.archive.org/web/20041012231431/https://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-2-Details.html

IMG_1209.jpeg

IMG_1306.jpeg

AFTER EBIKE CONVERSION
Bafang BBSHD mid drive motor kit ($610, Greenergy, via Aliexpress)
UPP 19.2mah 48 volt battery ($335, UPP website)
42T alum chainring with 21mm offset ($37, Aliexpress)
Eggrider V2 display ($115, Golden Motor)
Grin Technologies eBike Battery mount, double bob ($37, on amazon)
Weight: 57 lbs

I’m using Bafang left brake with integrated cut-off sensor but retained the original right brake/shifter (no cut-off sensor).

IMG_1354.jpeg

I finished the last details of my eBike conversion - added new handlebar tape, a bottle cage on the top tube, and a mirror, which I don't really like. My first battery charge went 57 miles. I didn’t intend to run the battery dead - the battery meter hadn't yet reached the red LED light, indicating <25%, but the motor shut down going up a steep hill. The display never went out and the motor re-engaged after turning the display off-on. I hope running the battery “dry” didn’t do any damage to it. It took a 2-amp charger 9 hours to fully recharge the battery and it appears to be running normal.

IMG_1464.jpeg

IMG_1468.jpeg

Back