Looking for my first beach/cruiser E-bike

jakmobile

Local time
1:41 AM
Hi, I don't want to post something that has already been discussed but after looking through the main forums on this site, I'm not even sure which one to post this in.

I'm looking for my first ebike and here's what I'm interested in:

- step through
- moderate offroad tires (for sand, dirt trails/small rocks (not rock climbing) street as well)
- COMFORTABLE seat
- decent suspension
- good max speed (28mph preferrably but 25 would suffice)
- decent battery life
- option for a second rider seat
- LED lights front/rear (turns would be cool but not required)
- Nice looking LCD display
- basket
- good foot pedals
- foldable
- decent selection of accessories (mirrors, side bags)
- good warranty (easy to contact customer service)
- Delivered assembled without the need of having to pay someone to double check everything before riding

I've done some googling and a lot of these bikes look identical but I guess I'm looking for recommended brands. I'm really not trying to spend more than $1300 but less is always better.

Which brands should I look at? Model numbers? Links to good prices?

I'd like to get one within a week so please help!! Thanks!!

1000001049.jpg

So far I'm loving the jasion x hunter. The price was just right. It meets the needs above. The warranty could be an issue being that the company is based overseas. But they do offer a good warranty. Also the delivery can be a bit misleading but it's definitely worth the wait.

I have no complaints on the build quality. Very well constructed and a nice riding bike.

Side note we fit both bikes in the back of a Toyota rav4 with plenty of room to spare.

If I had to pick one budget foldable ebike right now it would be the Ride 1 up Portola. It has a strong motor, nice shifters, good brakes and the display allows you to adjust the power levels for each assist level, which is a perk not found on many bikes. Like most bikes there are dozens of reviews on YouTube. Check out Ebike Escape's best folding bike of 2024 video, they show you some of the extra features. My one quam is that I don't like T stick handle bars but there are kits now to switch them over to bmx style, which is always doable later on.

View attachment 14183

So far I'm loving the jasion x hunter. The price was just right. It meets the needs above. The warranty could be an issue being that the company is based overseas. But they do offer a good warranty. Also the delivery can be a bit misleading but it's definitely worth the wait.

I have no complaints on the build quality. Very well constructed and a nice riding bike.

Side note we fit both bikes in the back of a Toyota rav4 with plenty of room to spare.
Do you know if they offer it in a step through? That is a must for me? How much did you pay?

- Ride 1 up Portola link - https://ride1up.com/product/portola/ (cheapest of the bunch along with the Lectic)
- Ranger S - https://www.heybike.com/products/ranger-s?variant=44034014413019

I do like the options of colors and 5 spoke wheels but not a necessity. I saw one bike, can't remember the name, also includes a bike lock that attaches to wear the bottle goes.

I would also be interested in being able to swap out handle bars for beach cruiser style, again not a necessity, BUT a fantastic seat is!!!!

So... people aren't loving the new controller on the lectric 3.0. I guess it doesn't give you as many throttle choices as the old one. Reddit has some threads on it. I also don't love the motor size and torque. On the other hand, if someone handed me a Ranger s I'd take it, but it's heavy. 5 spoke wheels are heavy but it has 4 inch wide tires, 3 inch are light and nimble, 4 inch are good if you decide you just have to go down that muddy path. Things like seats and pedals are so easily changeable, they really shouldn't be a concern. I guess you've got some deciding to do, very happy deciding.

So... people aren't loving the new controller on the lectric 3.0. I guess it doesn't give you as many throttle choices as the old one. Reddit has some threads on it. I also don't love the motor size and torque. On the other hand, if someone handed me a Ranger s I'd take it, but it's heavy. 5 spoke wheels are heavy but it has 4 inch wide tires, 3 inch are light and nimble, 4 inch are good if you decide you just have to go down that muddy path. Things like seats and pedals are so easily changeable, they really shouldn't be a concern. I guess you've got some deciding to do, very happy deciding.
Any thoughts on the other ones? What do you own? What have you ridden?

Hello, I don't own any folding bikes. I built an e-mountain bike from classic 1998 Kona. It has a Bafang BBs02 750w midrive. I love it but the geometry is a bit extreme. I also have a Velotric Go1. My natural inclination is towards cargo bikes. What I don't like about the Go1 is the controller interface. The throttle is associated with the Pas level, so if you need to hop across an intersection quickly but you are in Pas 1, the bike goes like syrup. If I am in Pas 5, it will be quick but if I were to pedal, the assist would kick in and I would probably climb a tree. Its assist levels are also speed based. If you hit a certain mph the motor will kick off for a bit. It is a hurry up and wait scenario. At some point I am going to put in my own controller. This is one of the reasons I like the Portola, they thought about the interface, the throttle is hot, the Pas speed is watts based, it doesn't shut off and there are a number of things you can change. One thing you can do is to watch the video for programming and running the display for each bike you like and you will be able to see what it can and can't do. This is probably more information then you are ready to take in but it is an area often overlooked, just keep hunting and you will find where you want to be.

So now I'm on the fence between a E-Cells step through and a Wired Cruiser. Both bikes have high top speed and the e-cells has a lot of upgraded parts. Both bikes have large batteries.

I don't know much about either of these bikes. Maybe you can throw it out there in another thread, to see who has one. Just make sure they have good quality cells. A big battery that is dead next year doesn't do you much good.

Ok, I gotta ask. Have you given up on the, " has to fold up" concept and now you are just in the wide, wide world of ebikes? This might take you awhile.

Back