throttle or no throttle? that is the question?

I ride a Class 2 ebike, throttle ONLY. I am disabled, and simply cannot pedal. Period. 20 years ago, I could ride a pedal bike 50 miles a day. I just turned 65, and have been disabled for over 10 years. I can't walk half a block. I have to use the electric carts in Walmart. Both knees and both hip joints are completely shot. But it doesn't stop there. All the soft tissue (muscles, tendons, ligaments, cartilage) is severely damaged, and no longer stretches like it is supposed to. I also have severe arthritis, and diabetic neuropathy, so I can barely feel my feet. A throttle ebike is the only way I can ride a bike anymore. It has to have a step through frame. I live near Phoenix, AZ. There is a 35+ mile multi use path along a canal bank close to where I live. I ride on that a lot. At around 7-10 mph. Just because the bike will do 20+ mph doesn't mean you have to ride it that fast. There are people walking, jogging, riding pedal bikes, pushing baby strollers, etc. on this path. I ride just fast enough to keep from falling over. It's sure better than a mobility scooter.

It is NOT safe to ride in the bike lanes. Even back when I rode a pedal bike (my last pedal bike was a mountain bike with street tires, higher bars and a cruiser seat) I had things thrown at me, I had idiots pull into the bike lane with their cars to block me when they saw me riding past stopped traffic, I have been hit with mirrors, I have had idiots stick something out the window of their vehicle to try and hit me. Here pretty much everything but residential streets are 45 mph, and everybody goes 60 mph, and the cops completely ignore it. I don't have problems like that riding on the canal bank. There are a couple of potential problems though. By far the biggest one is flat tires. We have a type of thorn here called a "goathead" and if you run over one, you will have a flat tire. And they are everywhere. I ride a Sixthreezero bike with 26" tires (it is almost to find ANY bike with 26" tires anymore) with 4mm thick puncture resistant tubes in them, and a sealant made for motorcycles called Ride On in them. I would probably be unable to fix a flat tire by myself out on the road or bike path. At least on a heavy ebike. The other issue would be running out of power. Internal combustion powered vehicles are not allowed on the canal path, and cross roads are a mile apart. If something happened, I could call for help, but nobody would have a way to reach me. They would have to walk or ride a bike from the nearest cross road, and if they couldn't fix the problem, they would not be able to get me out. I do have an extra battery. I carry a small 12V compressor that can air up a bicycle tire several times in case of a slow leak.
I hear you loud and clear. In life these days it seems it's always the people who need something the most that are ignored. Have you encountered any issues with riding the canal route as I read sometime ago e bikes were not allowed on it.

Can't figure out why one wouldn't want to be able to throttle only.

The reason I'm asking this question is because I'm looking at buying an ebike in the future. How important is having a throttle on an ebike? Does anyone who bought a ebike with a throttle wishes they had not bought an ebike without a throttle or vice versa? Please list of pros and cons

The reason I'm asking this question is because I'm looking at buying an ebike in the future. How important is having a throttle on an ebike? Does anyone who bought a ebike with a throttle wishes they had not bought an ebike without a throttle or vice versa? Please list of pros and cons to a throttle.
I own two ebikes a 2016 & a 2023 lankeleisi mg740. The older bike came with a fully working throttle, which is legal here in the UK due to its age. The lankeleisi throttle was disabled in the settings. The current law in the uk is that all new ebikes must either have the throttle disabled or in walk mode 3.6mph. You can enable the lankeleisi throttle for off road use, I don't believe I can limit the speed of the throttle on this bike to the uk legal speed of 3.6mph as it already has a walk function. I think throttles are safer, they let you get away from traffic, speed up pass that turning where you've either got a frustrated driver behind you waiting to turn or the driver waiting to pull out. There also great for those returning to cycling hoping to get fitter & aid in manoeuvring your bike through barriers on cycle paths where cadence sensors can be a touch sensitive, jerky

I bought my Ride1Up Revv1 at the end of last July, I often pedal everywhere I go with a strong throttle over the overpasses. I ran mine stock until January, when I “jail broke” it, turned on the “OFF-ROAD Mode.” Now, I run PA0 and the throttle allows me to go full bore, achieving speeds around 40MPH. Even after putting it in “Off-Road” and doing the dual battery mod, I still pedal it around a lot, and throttle over the overpasses.

I have 2 bikes, my first one (Feb of 21) is a Wart Hog MD 750 and the second one is a Juggernaut Ultra Dou 4 (new Feb 24), both have throttles, and both bikes are set up with H2o/survival gear/tools etc and are real close to 100# each and I am glad I had it when I crashed and burned.
The front tire slid out from under me on a steep downhill, loose gravel section in a rock garden and heavy sage brush, when riding in March of 21.

My right shin was a bad bloody mess, and I was 10-15 miles from the nearest road, I trail ride on wild horse trails, cross country in Western NV. I could hardly walk, but finally got back on the horse trail by using the throttle and slowly made my way out to the nearest road to head home.
I had no cell service to call the better half for an assist, I am glad I had a throttle, or I would have spent a night or two out in the pucker brush on the mountain, until I could get cell service etc.

I don't know what all the bucket mouthing about having a throttle is, It can be a life saver and you don't have to use it. If you don't want it disconnect it and cap the ends. There may be a time when you are glad you have it, the life you save may be your own. YMMV

I don't know what all the bucket mouthing about having a throttle is,
Its a combination of ego and nosy snobbery if you ask me, which nobody did. Cyclists are typically an arrogant lot and that disease has spread to the fallen acolytes who have turned to the dark side.
It can be a life saver and you don't have to use it.
Talking sense is a waste of time in a jihad.

I splintered three ribs on this one. Its the very start of an evening commute home. If you look carefully you can see I was planted straight down onto the pavement. My chest took the impact. The camera flips to look straight behind me. This was a 2wd bike whose front motor was disabled by the crash. The fork was also bent. I had to throttle home as anything but sitting on the saddle and moaning was out of the question.

BTW: To answer the obvious question of "wtf happened?" I thought I heard something fall off my back rack, so I used the brakes, stood up on the pedals and looked behind me. Super bad idea. Your sense of balance when doing that is nothing like it normally is.

"OUCH" Matt
That turned out to be a "Phart Knocker", glad it turned out OK.
The one thing about the camera as it doesn't tell no lies... I didn't have your camera system on my bikes, like I do now. I really don't want to see what happened, I have the scar's to prove it, From the school of "Hard Knock's learning....in 78 yrs of living thru it. Tia.

The reason I'm asking this question is because I'm looking at buying an ebike in the future. How important is having a throttle on an ebike? Does anyone who bought a ebike with a throttle wishes they had not bought an ebike without a throttle or vice versa? Please list of pros and cons to a throttle.
I wouldn't be without a throttle. I always take off using the throttle. Once underway, I start pedaling. The throttle is of particularly great advantage when taking off on your bicycle while on an uphill slope. In this case, without a throttle, you had better be in a really low gear for your take-off. This applies even more if your e-bike is a recumbent; because, you cannot stand on the pedals to take advantage of body weight. I have noticed, however, while looking around at the very expensive, high-end e-bikes, it is almost impossible to find the one with a throttle. Too bad.

Throttle!! Traffic, hills, maneuvering. Safety when pulling out in spots that make it difficult to get a heavy ebike rolling. People keep comparing it to a motorcycle, but an e-bike is really its own beast. I never stop pedaling because of the throttle. I can't say that about riding a motorcycle.

An e-bike without a throttle is like a.......

(Go ahead, fill it in folks!)
...like a fish without a bicycle

I wouldn't be without a throttle. I always take off using the throttle. Once underway, I start pedaling. The throttle is of particularly great advantage when taking off on your bicycle while on an uphill slope. In this case, without a throttle, you had better be in a really low gear for your take-off. This applies even more if your e-bike is a recumbent; because, you cannot stand on the pedals to take advantage of body weight. I have noticed, however, while looking around at the very expensive, high-end e-bikes, it is almost impossible to find the one with a throttle. Too bad.
Exactly. I have a throttle, and have hired a couple of expensive mid-motor ebikes without throttle - just to see for myself. I was unimpressed by the mid-motor and actually disliked the torque sensor's way of doing things (a torque sensor is nothing more than a throttle operated by your legs). Without throttle, it's just a non-starter if you'll forgive the pun.

I would not buy a bike without a throttle and it's a real shame so many of the nicest ebikes don't have one. This is down pure bigotry, ignorance and frankly, stupidity. Bafang seems to be the only mid-motor manufacturer with a throttle. But maybe things will change. There is strong consumer pressure for throttles and in UK, while throttles have always been legal in a limited way (there is also a historical legal loophole that can allow a full-time throttle) legislation is afoot to allow both full-time throttles while upping the power limit to 500w.

This is a move in the right direction and it's extraordinary that the main resistance comes from the ebike industry itself which is against anything it fears may compromise the ebike's status as a pedal bicycle. Both the industry and legislators are misguided in the way they're trying to regulate ebikes. The problem is not throttles or wattages or anything other than foolish and irresponsible antisocial behaviour by riders. It's the same with all road safety issues - cars, motorbikes, trucks, whatever - and the universal way of managing that is with speed limits. That in itself is a very imperfect method but it can be effective - everyone understands it, it can be manufactured into the bike, and it is at least relatively easy to enforce.

I would not buy a bike without a throttle and it's a real shame so many of the nicest ebikes don't have one. This is down pure bigotry, ignorance and frankly, stupidity.
[...]
The problem is not throttles or wattages or anything other than foolish and irresponsible antisocial behaviour by riders. It's the same with all road safety issues - cars, motorbikes, trucks, whatever - and the universal way of managing that is with speed limits. That in itself is a very imperfect method but it can be effective and is at least relatively easy to enforce.
I wouldn't be so harsh: owners of "cars, motorcycles, trucks, whatever" pay insurance, have a license plate, and need a valid license to drive them. I do not consider myself a "bigot" or an "ignorant" or a "stupid" person, but I still think we need to protect the general public from abuse by the (many) inconsiderate people on the road.

Please be careful with your language: people have the right to think differently from you without feeling insulted.

[...]

I wouldn't be so harsh: owners of "cars, motorcycles, trucks, whatever" pay insurance, have a license plate, and need a valid license to drive them. I do not consider myself a "bigot" or an "ignorant" or a "stupid" person, but I still think we need to protect the general public from abuse by the (many) inconsiderate people on the road.

Please be careful with your language: people have the right to think differently from you without being insulted.
Licenses and insurance are irrelevant here. Of course people need to be protected. I am always careful with my language. Why not put forward your views?

Licenses and insurance are irrelevant here. Of course people need to be protected. I am always careful with my language. Why not put forward your views?
I already did. And if your language includes telling people they are stupid and bigot for thinking differently than you, I am not interested in continuing this conversation.

I already did. And if your language includes telling people they are stupid and bigot for thinking differently than you, I am not interested in continuing this conversation.
Where? Please remind me. I am genuinely interested. And you can call me what you like.

I'm a DIY guy I only use throttle, the only way to ride!

Back