Article on chain vs. belt vs. shaft drive

Smaug

Local time
4:58 AM
I've been eying another cheap shaft drive eBike.

I remember reading they're less efficient than chain, but I didn't recall by how much. For motorcycles at least, they're 20-25% less efficient. That's a lot of wasted energy, especially when we're producing it with our own legs. I'm sure that assumes turning the drive shaft twice, for transverse-mounted engines. (where the engine shafts go sideways relative to the wheel direction) For a longitudinally-mounted engine, the drive shaft would only change direction once, so it would be more like 10-12% loss. (ex. Honda Goldwing, BMW R-series, Moto-Guzzi)

What surprised me was where they said a belt drive (even kevlar) comes with a 9-15% power loss! (on top of the lossier internal geared hubs they're usually paired with) I feel like that's wrong; I can't imagine where that power loss would occur.

The article is wrong when it says that shaft drives need no maintenance, as the oil bath in which the bevel drive at the rear needs to be changed occasionally. That makes me more suspicious about the high loss figure for the belt drive.

Here's the article:

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Here is another article that cites power loss of a belt @ 11%:

I guess I'm no longer in such a hurry to upgrade my main eBike to belt drive. I know that loss would only apply on an ebike to the pedaling effort, but it's still unacceptable to me.

Actually, the 25% loss in the aforementioned shaft drive bike is more acceptable, since on that bike it's geared low; only for limping home.

Back