What e-bike would you pick

Sparkyjoe

Local time
8:40 AM
Hello folks,

so, I’ve been looking for an e-bike with good distance, power and speed. I borrowed it down to two: The Bixtrix Juggernaut XD Eagle, or the E-cells AWD Triple Crown-3000w. Im leaning towards the Bixtrix due to the dual mid-drive motor, but I kinda like the idea of having the option of using one of the two motors with the E-cells triple. So I would really like to know what all you think would be the better choise ,as they are both on the expensive side.

thank you

Both of those, stoked out are a pretty steep purchase. Let us know which one you end up getting. They both look like a solid choice. I like the double battery pack on one of them, I like the Wren upgrades on the other.

There are no losers here, only what you want to optimize for.

I like Fabulous ebikes. Or... I guess I should say I like the looks of them. Never seen one in person.

If these are the only bikes you'd consider, go with the AWD Triple Crown-3000w. Only because it has full suspension.

This is bike is probably the hottest grandaddy looking eBike going right now. It's a lot less $$, and faster then either of those bikes.

I'd rather not be the first buyers of a $2K E-Bike until there were some reviews from owners after some months if not years of use. Lectric brand bikes come to mind.

For less than $1,000, you can purchase a Heybike which has good reviews after being in service for a while. My two Heybikes seem to be holding up very well.

The easily removable battery on the Mars version is worth a lot to me. With even my garage getting down to near freezing in the winter, I like taking the battery in the house for charging and overnight storage.

Of those two, I would certainly go with the Biktrix, as it's a known brand.

HOWEVER: before you drop that much coin, I think maybe some more soul-searching is in order:
  • Are you really going to need the fat tire capability? (Riding a lot in grass and loose surfaces) ...because a fat tire eBike is very big & heavy and you will resent it otherwise. Adding more weight means you NEED more power, which means more weight. It is a vicious cycle.
  • Will you be doing a lot of steep climbing, to necessitate the mid drive set-up? If not, I would recommend hub drive, so that all that torque from the 1 kW motor is not going through the chain drive. You'll burn through chains & sprockets pretty quick!
  • For that kind of money, I'd want full suspension, as biknut alluded to. (and I agree with his recommendation, if you want an eFatty)
I've got a few bikes, and I find I appreciate the lighter, easy-rolling ones more than the fast & heavy ones.

Biktrix would be my pick. Mid-drives really climb well utilizing the mechanical advantage of the bikes rear gearing, though their new 2300+w mid-drive drives a single 70t rear sprocket. I have several e-bikes and the mid-drive is a pleasure to ride especially in hilly and off road conditions, their torque is quite impressive. Just watch a couple YT videos of the new dual drive and you will see how they have a lot of torque. Biktrix is a tried and true brand. The only negative is that the 2000+w is their proprietary mid drive motor. So there isn’t really any aftermarket parts or programming for it. For now, but they hinted about possible user programmability in the future. I’m sure Biktrix has done their homework though. Love that they are North America built. My e-bike purchases have had a limit of 3k, even for my custom built BBSHD mid drive bike. But I do plan to upgrade to a Grin Phaserunner controller and increase the battery voltage. Nice thing about the Biktrix you’re looking at is that there is probably no need to ever upgrade it at all. However, If there is an option for a higher voltage battery, I’d do it.

Before someone gets off-the-beam - BikTrix eBike's ARE NOT US ASSEMBLED unless he U.S. has invaded Western Canada. Yes - BikTrix has models with their Proprietary Mid-Drive - and they offer other mid-drive models with Bafang mid-drive mortor

Before someone gets off-the-beam - BikTrix eBike's ARE NOT US ASSEMBLED unless he U.S. has invaded Western Canada. Yes - BikTrix has models with their Proprietary Mid-Drive - and they offer other mid-drive models with Bafang mid-drive mortor
From what I could tell the frames are made & welded in the USA, sent to Canada. The remaining parts are assembled in Canada. Their controllers are ASI based which are Canadian. Their new 2000+ watt mid drive is Canadian made. But I’m sure there are other parts that are Chinese. Still the bikes are pretty much North America made which is a lot better than most e-bikes out there.

From what I understand in general mid drives are more efficient then geared hub motors. So if they are offering PAS versions I think you should be able to get power consumption levels equivalent to a single hub drive. Also if the proprietary mid drive is anything like the BBSHD it’s much easier to pedal when the battery dies. I can pedal my Bafang fat tire bike 5mph faster than my hub bikes without electric power. Another reason I’d pick the Biktrix.

Of those two, I would certainly go with the Biktrix, as it's a known brand.

HOWEVER: before you drop that much coin, I think maybe some more soul-searching is in order:
Will you be doing a lot of steep climbing, to necessitate the mid drive set-up? If not, I would recommend hub drive, so that all that torque from the 1 kW motor is not going through the chain drive. You'll burn through chains & sprockets pretty quick!
the Biktrix model e-bike he is looking at is a dual drive set up. The mid drive has its own dedicated direct drive on the left side using a heavy duty #219 go-kart chain which will not wear out or break. Then the right side is a conventional chainring/cassette drive system that only transfers the torque from the rider.
It’s a pretty clever system.

I'd rather not be the first buyers of a $2K E-Bike until there were some reviews from owners after some months if not years of use. Lectric brand bikes come to mind.

For less than $1,000, you can purchase a Heybike which has good reviews after being in service for a while. My two Heybikes seem to be holding up very well.

The easily removable battery on the Mars version is worth a lot to me. With even my garage getting down to near freezing in the winter, I like taking the battery in the house for charging and overnight storage.

I got a Heybike Mars. Had it for a year now and have clocked 1,000 miles with no issues, except for a flat tire. It has been a excellent bike, would recommend it.

That’s not even close to what the OP is looking for. He’s looking at a top tier e-bike. $6K range.

Back