Ebike community, would you consider using a shared cycle helmet if?

Remi

Local time
7:41 AM
Ebike community, would you consider using a shared cycle helmet if it could be sanitized in a locked case? Additionally, if you were provided with your own soft inner lining for the helmet for hygiene reasons, and the hard shell could be monitored for damages, would that enhance your willingness to use it? Share your thoughts!

No, because I don't see the benefit.

You might have better luck with this idea for motorcycle helmets, where good ones are many hundreds of dollars. One can get a motorcycle helmet that meets basic DOT requirements for maybe $150, but a comfortable one that meets top standards... those are $300+.

I would also be skeptical of the cleaning, just like I am with bowling shoes.

Last thing: current helmets are designed to take ONE good hit. After that, they're not effective. How would I know this helmet I've checked out has not been hit?

There are just too many reasons against it and not enough for it.

Ebike community, would you consider using a shared cycle helmet if it could be sanitized in a locked case? Additionally, if you were provided with your own soft inner lining for the helmet for hygiene reasons, and the hard shell could be monitored for damages, would that enhance your willingness to use it? Share your thoughts!
From an H&S point of view this is something we regularly do for visitors to our installations (an astronomical observatory): all PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) helmets are sanitized and an inner lining is provided.

But as other wrote, except for an ebike rental shop, I do not see a big benefit or use case. Do you?

If I had the need for this, I would do it. I suppose the concept mostly pertains to rental transportation. As far as hygiene, it shouldn't have any negative connotation for anyone who touches doorknobs, uses silverware and dishes in restaurants (or at home), uses toilets, visits doctors, etc. The yuck factor is real, but not practical.

I agree completely, and I'm posting this simply because it interests me. When you unbox a new, top-of-the-line helmet, you have already trusted someone to properly construct it after the design has been properly tested. I get products all the time that are not properly constructed or are missing parts, etc. Big name companies are are caught fudging trials or documents pretty often. So you're left with a visual inspection of your equipment to spot apparent damage.

Why would anyone share their helmet? Is there a need? I would not share my helmet or underware....they both have an equal number of holes.
In countries where wearing a cycle helmet is enforced, if this were to become a worldwide regulation, how would you address the challenge of not owning an eBike and relying on sharing or renting one?

In countries where wearing a cycle helmet is enforced, if this were to become a worldwide regulation, how would you address the challenge of not owning an eBike and relying on sharing or renting one?
Carry a can of Lysol.....kill the lice before taking off.

Helmets are required here now for ordinary bicycles for all riders under age 18. For Class 3 ebikes (speed pedelecs) that requirement is in place across something like 40 US states for all ages.

Bike rental places include helmets as part of the rental (maybe at a charge... I don't rent bikes so I wouldn't know for sure). I suspect they offer the little cloth liners too. Normally bike rentals are rare but I live in a tourist destination and there are several rental outfits here in town. You see little groups of them and you can tell because they are riding Rad Runners or Rovers or a (gasp!) Pedego, aren't pedaling and are wearing identical helmets and ghastly reflective yellow vests.

From an H&S point of view this is something we regularly do for visitors to our installations (an astronomical observatory): all PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) helmets are sanitized and an inner lining is provided.

But as other wrote, except for an ebike rental shop, I do not see a big benefit or use case. Do you?
Certainly, here's a revised response:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I am always looking for ways to make shared mobility safer and more comfortable for everyone. To achieve this, I am exploring the possibility of providing sanitized helmets with inner linings for e-bike rentals. This approach is in line with the changing health and safety expectations in shared mobility spaces and aims to address concerns people may have about using shared helmets. Your feedback is incredibly valuable to me as I work to optimize this offering for the best possible user experience. So, please continue the conversation!

I always tweak my helmet for ideal fit. It would be a bummer to have to go through all that every ride.
I completely empathize with you, added tooth. Individualized comfort is crucial, and having to constantly readjust your helmet can be frustrating. That's why we're dedicated to offering sanitized helmets with inner linings to minimize inconvenience and improve your overall experience.
I'm interested to know what adjustments you find most helpful in achieving the perfect fit, aside from the straps. Your feedback is valuable to us as we strive to enhance our products. Please don't hesitate to share any suggestions or preferences you may have.

I have my Own helmet and Do Not need anyone else helmet. I do Not share my helmet with others, or do I expect theirs.
I understand that you prefer using your own helmet and that you are concerned about hygiene issues associated with shared helmets. I am currently working on a solution that will allow you to securely store and sanitize your helmet while leaving it with your bike. This will eliminate the need for you to carry your helmet around and also take care of the hygiene concerns. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this concept. Do you think it would be beneficial for your cycling experience?

This will eliminate the need for you to carry your helmet around
No it won't. People steal stuff. Leaving the helmet with the bike creates a new thing I have to lock up, and a new temptation for a passerby. Helmets easily fit in the front or lower portion of a shopping cart, both the smallest variety of cart, and the largest. A hand basket can have the strap wrapped around the outside portion of the handle away from your body. And I am speaking of the downhill helmet I use with a permanently attached chin guard. 'normal' bike helmets are even easier to deal with.

This portion of your idea is a solution in search of a problem, that creates new problems.

I can't even see the point of a pointless question

Back