Share your ebike and recommend good one for me

pinkypromise

Local time
6:19 PM
1) I'm currently navigating the overwhelming array of e-bike options to find the most suitable one for my daily work commute. With countless brands available, it's challenging to make a decision. Could someone provide a curated list of the top 5 or top 10 e-bike companies they recommend, highlighting the specifications I should prioritize?

I've discovered an e-bike that appears to be reasonably priced. Nevertheless, it comes with a battery capacity of only 346Wh, offering a range of less than 50 miles. It showcases an anti-theft system complete with an app for unlocking and locking, bike tracking, a motion sensor, and the added functionality of alerting you if someone attempts to tamper with or move the locked bike. This leaves me pondering whether these features truly warrant the excitement, or if I should consider a more conventional e-bike option instead.
what's your opinion on this e-bike if I consider on buying it?

2) Also, please share these things if you own an ebike(s)

• Brand / Model
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
    • $$$$=$5000-$7000
    • $$$$$=>$7000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
    • Somewhat
    • Not
  • Would you recommend to others? (Y/N)

Most monitoring systems that send alerts come with a monthly subscription cost. Many have limited areas where the services work.

Check out the monitoring fees, and the service area (and make sure it covers where you will be riding).

There are some questions I'd want answers to before advising you:
  1. In which country do you live? I'm guessing USA by your avatar...
  2. Do you live in a city, suburbs or countryside?
  3. What do your local eBike laws say? (they vary by state, and sometimes by city as well)
  4. What's your budget?
  5. What are your expected uses? (Commuting, shopping, joyriding, streets vs. paved trails vs. unpaved trails, etc.)
As for your 2nd part of your post (in bold text) it seems you copied that from another thread, so you can just find my posts in that thread for that information.

For your thread here, answers to my questions above will help us make recommendations specifically for you.

I found the reviewer eBike Escape helpful, here is a link to his website where he compares "the Top Ebike Brands of 2023: Our Favorites List": https://ebikeescape.com/top-ebike-brands/.

I ended up with an Aventon Level.2 step through (white), partly because they sell and service the Aventons at a local bike shop that I have used for a number of years; in fact, that might be a criteria to add to your list. It was very helpful to do a test ride before purchase so I was not just crunching numbers on a spreadsheet. Here is my information:
  • Brand / Model: Aventon Level.2 2023
  • Cost: $$ ($1,599)
  • Satisfied? Very
  • Would you recommend to others? Y
There are a complex array of considerations for an Ebike including:
  • Frame style (step over, step through, folding)
  • Tire configuration (road, fat tire, tubeless)
  • Primary use (commuting, cruiser, mountain biking, hauling/cargo)
  • Sensor technology (cadence or torque sensing)
  • Throttle or no throttle
  • Display or no display
  • Frame material (usually aluminum) and single or double butted
  • Motor placement (rear hub, front hub, mid drive, multiple motors)
  • Motor Watts (plus legal limitations in your state/country) with 500-750W being most common
  • Drive system (derailleur or single speed)
  • Brake type (most ebikes have disk brakes, mechanical or hydraulic)
  • Quality of bicycle components
  • Ease of shifting, if multi-speed
  • Real-world range between charges (versus stated range under ideal conditions)
  • Etc.
One method of narrowing ebike choices would be to decide what you need based on a list like this. I created a spreadsheet and compared various ebike specs.

I know from your post you've made an initial choice of an Evie bike and cite their built in security features. Keep in mind, however, you can buy a bike alarm for about $18 HERE; an Apple AirTag for under $30 HERE or a combined alarm and tracker for $60 HERE. There are U-locks available that go a long ways in defeating angle grinder attacks (which in general can cut any lock), such as the LiteLok X1 ($200, I have one)or especially the LiteLok X3 ($300) - not cheap but better than buying a new ebike. This will be a much better security than the cafe lock on the Evie bike.

But, the important thing is, if that's what you want, then go for it - it's your decision!! Best of luck in your research.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Looks like OP is in Denmark despite avatar of US map. Might also explain phrasing of questions. Denmark should have some good riding though.

Looks like OP is in Denmark despite avatar of US map. Might also explain phrasing of questions. Denmark should have some good riding though.
Ah, that would have been useful information to know up front.

I don't really know what's available in Denmark or even what the country-specific eBike laws are. (that would also be helpful)

It seems like the Danes can have Speed Pedelecs even on bike paths. [LINK]

Do you want a bicycle with assist, or do you want a high power speed pedelec? That's the first question and the next place is what's available to you?

No answers to my questions yet? Through sleuthing, we have answered my questions 1 & 3. Still need to know the answers to 2, 4 and 5.

ride1up roadster V2
$
very
yes

Juiced scorpion X
$$
very
yes

Electra Towne Go
$$
somewhat…..had to replace internal gear hub at 4000 miles-$300 plus
yes

Trek Verve+
$$
very 8000 miles and only replaced rear wheel, tires of course…best easy riding ebike or regular bike!!!
yes

Trek Allant+ 8s DUAL battery
$$$
very very
yes!!!

Tern Vectron S10 folding bosch bike
$$$
very
yes!

Electra Cafe Moto go (only 200 made)
$$$
somewhat….low production means no parts available
yes (if you like cool bikes)

Gritrival (cheap Amazon bike)
$
NOT don’t by cheap bikes, spokes not stainless, no support, good only if you ride < 200 miles per year
NO

KBO Breeze
$1100
Very satisfied
Yes, recommend to others

Reasons: 500/750w motor, 16 AH 48v Samsung/LG battery, 180mm disc brakes, front and rear fenders, luggage rack, front suspension, 27.5" x 2.4" Panasonic tires, PSA 5, Twist throttle, 22mph throttle only, 30-55 mile range per charge or more depending on rider input, terrain, weight, etc. I'm 72, 6'1", 200lbs and I've gotten up to 70 miles on a charge using pas 2 on fairly level terrain.

Ah, that would have been useful information to know up front.

I don't really know what's available in Denmark or even what the country-specific eBike laws are. (that would also be helpful)

It seems like the Danes can have Speed Pedelecs even on bike paths. [LINK]

Do you want a bicycle with assist, or do you want a high power speed pedelec? That's the first question and the next place is what's available to you?

No answers to my questions yet? Through sleuthing, we have answered my questions 1 & 3. Still need to know the answers to 2, 4 and 5.
2. I live in the city. New York to be precise, got a job offer that starts next month. due to that, I know the traffic there can be very bad thus that's why I am looking for an ebike.
4. probably not more than $2000 but depending on the bikes specs. That's why i made my dig on ebike
5. I would probably use as daily transportation, commuting to work, shops, cafes or anywhere. i guess so

ride1up roadster V2
$
very
yes

Juiced scorpion X
$$
very
yes

Electra Towne Go
$$
somewhat…..had to replace internal gear hub at 4000 miles-$300 plus
yes

Trek Verve+
$$
very 8000 miles and only replaced rear wheel, tires of course…best easy riding ebike or regular bike!!!
yes

Trek Allant+ 8s DUAL battery
$$$
very very
yes!!!

Tern Vectron S10 folding bosch bike
$$$
very
yes!

Electra Cafe Moto go (only 200 made)
$$$
somewhat….low production means no parts available
yes (if you like cool bikes)

Gritrival (cheap Amazon bike)
$
NOT don’t by cheap bikes, spokes not stainless, no support, good only if you ride < 200 miles per year
NO

2. I live in the city. New York to be precise, got a job offer that starts next month. due to that, I know the traffic there can be very bad thus that's why I am looking for an ebike.
4. probably not more than $2000 but depending on the bikes specs. That's why i made my dig on ebike
5. I would probably use as daily transportation, commuting to work, shops, cafes or anywhere. i guess so
Ah, OK. Now we have a complete picture.

I would recommend the Aventon Level.2. It seems to fit your needs just about perfectly. I have one and use it for commuting in my medium sized city. It has rack & fenders as standard equipment, as well as integrated lighting. (3 rear lights!) I paid $2200 for mine from a local shop last year, but the price is down now to $1800 or so. It is good quality all-around and has the safety certifications needed to be sold in NYC.

Even at this price, it is on the expensive side, so do invest in a good lock if you're going to leave it outside. In NYC, I'd recommend a good U-lock at a minimum.

I replaced the quick-release seat post latch with one that needs a tool, as otherwise, people will steal your seat when it's parked.

I started a thread and made a few videos on mine, you can see it here: https://ebikesforum.com/threads/aventon-level-2-review-thread.3764/

User "A" here rides frequently in NYC, you might reach out to him via PM for considerations specific to NYC.

I'm a proponent of building an ebike from a kit. By doing so you will get a bike that is customized to your preferences and you are able to service. I also recommend a higher wattage motor. Even if you dont need top speed, having power for hills and some maneuvering is useful.

Does new job allow you to take the bike into the building?
If so, that can reduce a lot of worries about locking the bike up properly to avoid theft.
What is the distance to the new job? distance would determine how big of a battery you need.
If your commute is about 5-6 miles one way, 25 mile ranger on a small folding ebike would do,
with a folding ebike you can easily take it onto subway when weather is crappy.
Smaller folding bike take up less room, smaller footprint on the road, less likely to get hit in NYC traffic.

My commute is about 5-6 mile one way, I just ride a regular folding bike, no motor, no battery.. about 20 lb.
I've commuting on folding bikes between Manhattan & Brooklyn (Coney Island.) since 2013, plenty of trips that I didn't feel like riding
and took my bike onto the subway, secure the bike against the pole next to the door and sit down for a nap.
I've tried folding ebikes, but the weight of battery & motor make them cumbersome to take on-off subway stations.

Wife & I have been riding folding ebikes just around Hoboken area, which is less hectic than within the 5-boro.
Both bikes below are under $1K back in 2019 or so.
DkvGu8W.jpg

If you're carrying more items on the ebike, I'd recommend a compact cargo ebike, for the fat tires would save you from the spokes braking.
I carry large volume of food in boxes between the school I work and homeless shelter in Brooklyn.
10-12 mile round trip and the Fiido T1 (under $2k) has served me well.
Cast wheel without spokes to break under motor power or rough terrain (potholes) in NYC.
Large battery that allow me to ride at least 50 miles (throttle only), weeks between each charging is possible.
Larger ebike would also deter some theft, but locking it up properly may need some practice.
T5L7Zj1.jpg

What's the top speed on your Fiido T1? I just looked on their website, and it says 15.5 mph. That's pretty slow, it would be a wonder they sell ANY of them in the USA...

I see they have a T1 Pro now, where the Pro has hydraulic brakes for only $500 extra... Same specs otherwise.

1) I'm currently navigating the overwhelming array of e-bike options to find the most suitable one for my daily work commute. With countless brands available, it's challenging to make a decision. Could someone provide a curated list of the top 5 or top 10 e-bike companies they recommend, highlighting the specifications I should prioritize?

I've discovered an e-bike that appears to be reasonably priced. Nevertheless, it comes with a battery capacity of only 346Wh, offering a range of less than 50 miles. It showcases an anti-theft system complete with an app for unlocking and locking, bike tracking, a motion sensor, and the added functionality of alerting you if someone attempts to tamper with or move the locked bike. This leaves me pondering whether these features truly warrant the excitement, or if I should consider a more conventional e-bike option instead.
what's your opinion on this e-bike if I consider on buying it?

2) Also, please share these things if you own an ebike(s)

• Brand / Model
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
    • $$= $1000-$3000
    • $$$=$3000-$5000
    • $$$$=$5000-$7000
    • $$$$$=>$7000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
    • Somewhat
    • Not
  • Would you recommend to others? (Y/N)
If it's your 1st ebike, go with some fairly cheap. No point ruining a $5K bike thru inexperience

The question is more what are your minimum requirements for how and where you’re going to ride? Hilly or flat?
How are you going to get it to where you’ll ride? How big are you? How far will you go without recharging?
I’m on my second ebike and still didn’t get it quite right.
For me: 750 watts, 15 ah battery, hydraulic brakes. My first bike was too small and my current bike is, if anything, too big.
For a starter I’d recommend a folder with 20 inch wheels. Easier to transport and you can put your feet on the ground while seated. If you can, buy one from a local guy even though you’ll pay more. Read the actual warranty before you buy.
If you buy local, get a test ride. Hope this helps a little.

The question is more what are your minimum requirements for how and where you’re going to ride? Hilly or flat?
How are you going to get it to where you’ll ride? How big are you? How far will you go without recharging?
I’m on my second ebike and still didn’t get it quite right.
For me: 750 watts, 15 ah battery, hydraulic brakes. My first bike was too small and my current bike is, if anything, too big.
For a starter I’d recommend a folder with 20 inch wheels. Easier to transport and you can put your feet on the ground while seated. If you can, buy one from a local guy even though you’ll pay more. Read the actual warranty before you buy.
If you buy local, get a test ride. Hope this helps a little.
Excellent points.

What's the top speed on your Fiido T1? I just looked on their website, and it says 15.5 mph. That's pretty slow, it would be a wonder they sell ANY of them in the USA...

I see they have a T1 Pro now, where the Pro has hydraulic brakes for only $500 extra... Same specs otherwise.

Not sure about the top speed, it is highly dependent on the weight I carry on the bike.
I'd think 28 mph is probably the top speed with throttle.
I know the replacement T1 (for frame recall) has smoother acceleration than the original.
I think the info of 15.5 mph top speed is the unlocked top speed, that info in the website is mainly to satisfy regulations.
There are YT videos on how to unlock the T1 for higher top speed for 28 mph.

Not sure about the top speed, it is highly dependent on the weight I carry on the bike.
I'd think 28 mph is probably the top speed with throttle.
I know the replacement T1 (for frame recall) has smoother acceleration than the original.
I think the info of 15.5 mph top speed is the unlocked top speed, that info in the website is mainly to satisfy regulations.
There are YT videos on how to unlock the T1 for higher top speed for 28 mph.
Bikes in the US are limited to 20 mph throttle only. 28 mph refers to the speed you can peddle. Not many opportunities
to peddle that fast, My average spd is 14 mph, a couple miles faster than an avg road bike. What I was looking for was
a good general purpose bike, sturdy with good power & hill climbing.. 36v is okay if you're 170# & fairly young, but at 6'2"
235#, & 75 yrs. old, I have a steel rod in one leg & near as many fractures as Knievel. I need a minimum of 48v/ 500w.
I'm pretty leery of any ebike under $ 700. I bought an NCM moscow,( actually a German bike meant for sale in Russia),
good solid frame, 1st rate German motor, & very forgiving of mistakes. At 5000 mi. I cracked the motor & re-greased.
Just phenomenal, It runs better than new, much better. The stock tires were rubbish, other than that any problems were
of my making, 7000 mi. & still going strong.. I paid $1200 for it. I paid $2700 for my 1st ebike that wound up with months of
down time, was just a constant headache, & eventually became un-ridable. What I like about the NCM is it uses readily
available, affordable components, & not a bunch of model specific parts you can wait for months to get. It's really just
a regular 80s mtn bike with a really good hub motor.

Back