130 Brands! What ebike do you have and would you recommend?

I might as well kick things off.

Aventon Pace 500 v2 (next gen)
$$
Very satisfied
Would recommend

Notes:
-Disclaimer that I have only had the bike for about 3 months (but have 700 miles on it).
-Bike very well oriented toward somebody wanting to commute or take country rides
-Company with preceding reputation of questionable customer support. I wonder if this was pandemic related. My questions and concerns have been promptly answered by them (but they are email only).
They have the very worst support. They no zero about bikes and accessories. They import a China bike add big dollars to the Chinese price and ship it to you.

I might as well kick things off.

Aventon Pace 500 v2 (next gen)
$$
Very satisfied
Would recommend

Notes:
-Disclaimer that I have only had the bike for about 3 months (but have 700 miles on it).
-Bike very well oriented toward somebody wanting to commute or take country rides
-Company with preceding reputation of questionable customer support. I wonder if this was pandemic related. My questions and concerns have been promptly answered by them (but they are email only).
I have a Diamondback Union 2, Bosch class 3 $4100.
I love this thing—I put on over 200 miles a week commuting from Westchester into upper Manhattan. Even considering tough weather—my commute is the best part of my day.

Note to all city commuters—lights are more important than helmets—set yourself up with lights and enjoy that commute

Rize RX Pro and a Rize City MD.

Recommend both for a good bang for the buck. I actually prefer the City MD with the 750 due to tuneability, and near silent running, but the RX Pro has the definite edge with the 4" tires when I want to hit the steep trails I ride around here.

Other than some slow customer service here and there, no complaints. Both bikes have just over 2000 miles in a year of ownership and still going strong. Both are still on the original chains (both are showing very little stretch), and are used onroad and off to include stream crossings. I do ensure post riding maintenance religiously however.

Seatpost suspension is recommended to save your hiney on the trails as they do not offer a full suspension option so far

If you are looking for a bike to get outside and get exercise and want an ebike that rides like a bike. Best I've found so far Electra Townie Go - Bosch Mid Drive, Torque assist and Nexus Hub. I like enjoy mine.

I'd call it the "Lectric XP killer".

Brand / Model Euy/NXB
  • Cost
    • $= <$1000
  • Satisfied?
    • Very
  • Would you recommend to others? (Y)
EUY-NXB-VS-Lectric-XP-Black.jpg

My engwe ep2 pro is very similar to the EUY. In fact I considered one, but in the end I went engwe. It's my 1st ebike ( won't be my last) , and so far its working out good. 130 miles on it so far. I live in very hilly terrain, and I pedal moderately up some steep grades, and it just goes right up. I bought it because I thought I needed a folder, but this thing is pretty big. A rack to carry it on a car is almost as much as the bike costs. Long story short, I absolutely love this bike.

Attachments

• 20221013_132250.jpg
    20221013_132250.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 111
https://www.magicyclebike.com/category/magicycle-jaguarundi full disclosure MagicCycle has reached out to me to possibly promote their brand. I've been researching the company to make a decision but I bought a Rattan and it's been a nightmare. I truly wish I'd purchased this one instead. Im not sure what your budget it but BikTrix also seems to have better than the average cheap Chinese bikes. I would recommend researching the customer support of any company you deal with

https://www.magicyclebike.com/category/magicycle-jaguarundi full disclosure MagicCycle has reached out to me to possibly promote their brand. I've been researching the company to make a decision but I bought a Rattan and it's been a nightmare. I truly wish I'd purchased this one instead. Im not sure what your budget it but BikTrix also seems to have better than the average cheap Chinese bikes. I would recommend researching the customer support of any company you deal with
Btw MagicCycle has shops all over Canada and the States and they allow test rides and rentals

With you on having some sort of list to sift through the 130+ brands. Or even a simple tier list. I'm trying to find some type of ebike sort list of any kind as well.

C'mon guys, @Snoop is almost asking you to brag/complain about your ebike. :devilish:
I'll settle for say 3 entries to compare and contrast with. Any takers?
Go to a local bike shop(s) and test ride some. Get a detailed written copy of warranty. Buying off the shelf ebikes from China seems hit or miss and warranty & customer support ranges from non existent to horrible ime. I waited 3 months to get a display and battery from Rattan after they sent me a broken bike. They completely ignored me until I filed a claim with my cc company. Lectric owners, on this forum anyway, seem to have marginally better luck

Go to a local bike shop(s) and test ride some. Get a detailed written copy of warranty. Buying off the shelf ebikes from China seems hit or miss and warranty & customer support ranges from non existent to horrible ime. I waited 3 months to get a display and battery from Rattan after they sent me a broken bike. They completely ignored me until I filed a claim with my cc company. Lectric owners, on this forum anyway, seem to have marginally better luck
...and yes asking a broad question like that is prob going to get you a ton of posts from owners who are happy with their particular model. Nothing wrong with that but it may be alot to sift through

If you are looking for a bike to get outside and get exercise and want an ebike that rides like a bike. Best I've found so far Electra Townie Go - Bosch Mid Drive, Torque assist and Nexus Hub. I like enjoy mine.
That’s the bike on my short list. Had a townie 5i reserved at trek. Decided at my age (66), I need a step through and passed. One color really for men is the black one they don’t have at the moment, and they don’t expect till the end of Jan.

In the interim I like the evelo galaxy sl, but I’m at the upper end of the height recommendation. I like the idea of a CVT drive.

I’ll probably end up with the towning step through when it comes in. Looked at pedego, Gazelle and specialized. Also considering the priority connect from the Costco next program. Cheapest way to get into a cvt and gates belt.

I looked at a Townie 7d, I think, for my wife. She liked it but the battery was not removable. Since we have no other place to store or bikes other than in an unheated garage it wasn't going to work for us.

I looked at a Townie 7d, I think, for my wife. She liked it but the battery was not removable. Since we have no other place to store or bikes other than in an unheated garage it wasn't going to work for us.
Thanks for the info. The Townie 5i battery is removable, but is not hidden like the 7d. I'd like to have one hidden live the 7d, but also easily removable.

Thanks for the info. The Townie 5i battery is removable, but is not hidden like the 7d. I'd like to have one hidden live the 7d, but also easily removable.
I have ridden both the electra Townie Go 7D and the Townie Go 5i: massively different bikes. Hub motor vs mid drive etc. For this old man, the 5i is much, much better and pedals like a bike. I suggest you ride before you buy. Ride my 8i about 9.5 miles everyday for exercise- have not ridden an ebike that is as comfortable as mine.

Mate X - bought on Indiegogo. 48w 17.5ah battery, folding, fast. 20" x 4" fat tires. Heavy and not that easy to get on and off. $1500

Jack Rabbit - a scooter style bike without pedals. Small battery, specs say it will you 12 miles but it depends on terrain, rides weight, and speed. Okay for level street riding but not enough power to climb hills and with no pedals you can't assist. Only weights 23 lbs so handy to take camping to run around the campground. Kickstarter campaign paid $499.

Dost - $2600/slightly used. Mid-drive with chain and 8 speed Shimano gearing. Really nice, very comfortable, good range. Uses cadence to set battery input. New models have belt drives and Enviolo hubs. $3500 new. You can add a second battery to get up to 125 miles. Only change I'd make is to recalibrate the motor to less input at lower speeds to use on bike paths. Heavy duty rear rack.

Reise and Muller homage. Super expensive upwards of 11k. Extremely well designed and built. Gates belt drive. Rolhoff Electric hub shift, Bosch high speed motor, Hydrolic brakes, full suspension by Fox. Duel high capacity batteries. Bosch display with GPS and health apps and wifi apps.
Everything on this bike is high end. Rides super smooth and is great on rough terrain.
I have only 400 Miles but not a single thing has needed attention. I got buyers remorse at first until I started reviewing less expensive bikes. There is always a compromise as the price goes down .

I have ridden both the electra Townie Go 7D and the Townie Go 5i: massively different bikes. Hub motor vs mid drive etc. For this old man, the 5i is much, much better and pedals like a bike. I suggest you ride before you buy. Ride my 8i about 9.5 miles everyday for exercise- have not ridden an ebike that is as comfortable as mine.

Thanks, I did ride the townie 5i at the trek store. It's in a strip mall and had a pretty decent hill to one side. The hill wasn't overly long but fairly steep and I'd get up it pretty easy in 3rd gear on an assist setting of 'tour'. I went around the strip mall a few times and liked the feel of pedaling like a bike. I just liked the Bosch mid drive motor a lot. I'd have bought it right then except I had decided on a step through and my test ride was a step over. The test ride has narrowed down my choices to Townie and Gazelle. From a comfort standpoint the townie is probably the winner. I need to go back to the store that has the Gazelle. One factor for me is the fact that the Bosch systems are UL certified, something you don't see in a lot of other bikes out there.

Back