Topeak eBike-specific work stand

Smaug

Local time
11:03 AM
Topeak has come up with an eBike-specific work stand. It appears to use a gas strut like they use for car tailgates. At $950, it's spendy, though they have a 4-pay option:

TW031_main_2022-06.png

Works with up to 77 lb. eBikes.

It's pretty cool, but too expensive for me. I'll have to wait until the Chinese figure out a way to beat the patents. :-(

I paid $180 for a Park Tool PCS 9.2 repair stand and it is all that I need for our e-bikes and mountain bikes. I use it with a Silca Hirobel frame clamp to support the top tube of the bike frame instead of clamping onto the seat post.

I paid $180 for a Park Tool PCS 9.2 repair stand and it is all that I need for our e-bikes and mountain bikes. I use it with a Silca Hirobel frame clamp to support the top tube of the bike frame instead of clamping onto the seat post.

Yeah, I have the Park Tool stand (with a different model clamp) and it impressed me with its function and its construction. I also use it with the Hirobel frame support which is awesome. I think it's the way to go for ebikes since they weigh so much more. It makes it easy to balance the load and hold it securely while you wrench on it.

It just occurred to me that the 77 lb. weight limit is probably more due to the setting of the gas strut than the mechanical limit of the stand. One could probably push it a bit if one were willing to do some of the lifting oneself. (just like when the gas struts on your tailgate get old, WE do some of that lifting)

They didn't want to make the strut TOO strong, so that a 25 lb. road eBike would launch up super-fast, but strong enough that a typical 65 lb. eBike could be worked on.

It's a good idea, but they need to reduce the price or the Chinese are going to jump in and copy it. (patent or no)

I just remove the batteries from my e bikes before I put them in the bike stand and it seems to work just fine. I think mine is bike hand or something like that. Cost about $125 new. I've used it every couple weeks for 5 years and nothing's broken yet. Same goes for transporting my e bikes on my car bike rack. I suppose for a pro shop a herky stand that allows the bike and battery to be mounted together, so the motor can be run, would be a necessity but i'm not there yet.

Back