Sunday's bicycle insurance

@sulsj A cracked chainstay should be a complete frame replacement, right?
I am processing the manufacturer's warranty support as well hoping they can replace the lower triangle part with a new one. If the manufacturer refuses the claim, I am going to repair it from a professional carbon frame repair shop as the crack is just surface damage.

I am processing the manufacturer's warranty support as well hoping they can replace the lower triangle part with a new one. If the manufacturer refuses the claim, I am going to repair it from a professional carbon frame repair shop as the crack is just surface damage.
As frames go, I've always operated under the assumption that if it can crack once, its a lot easier to crack the second time. But if its a professional shop specializing in carbon fiber I suppose that sounds comforting.

As an insurance professional who also has a fair bit to do with claims in my field, I know we would prefer a replacement to a repair every time simply because we're obligated to make the customer whole, and that means being on the hook for subsequent repair work should the first effort come up short in any way. Which means we could end up paying twice to fix the same damage. On the insurance company side, we'd also be concerned with assuming any liability if a repair was approved and turned out to be unsafe (i.e. it cracks while you are going down a mountain road at speed... did we just contribute to the accident and guarantee ourselves the job of sharing medical bills? My field is not regualr auto insurance where cheap aftermarket parts are preferred to genuine ones. We always favor the genuine and 'fix it right'.

We'll see how Sundays handles themselves.

I remember when I got my first bike; I thought I'd never need insurance, but boy was I wrong. Last summer, my bike got stolen, and I was left kicking myself for not having coverage. Thankfully, I learned my lesson and got Multi Motorcycle Insurance. It's been a lifesaver ever since. For just a few bucks, you can ride with peace of mind knowing you're protected. Don't wait until it's too late!

Back