Bicycle or Motorcycle Helmets

A superb solution but so $$$. We get what we pay for and chin protection is often ignored.
Its people not wanting to look goofy. When I first got my add-on chin guard on my original Bell Super 3, which made it a Super 3R, I only wanted to use it when i was riding in the dark on the commute home in winters, reasoning I wanted the extra protection only when I needed it more. It was enough of a pain to detach, carry along and reattach I decided what the hell lets just leave it on.

Two weeks after that decision, I got hit by a car and it saved my face from being ground down by the pavement. That was December 2017 and every helmet I have bought since has a chin guard, that I almost always ride with regardless of circumstance.

Right now, I'm alternating between a usual half coverage bike helmet and a ski helmet.

I'm thinking about getting a downhill mountain bike helmet, as M@ suggests in Post #4, and maybe also an inexpensive motorcycle helmet for the cooler months for my eMoped.

Another good option would be a motorcross-style helmet. It has the chin bar to protect the face more, but not quite as much ventilation as a downhill mountain bike helmet.

I'm looking now on Facebook Marketplace and finding a lot of fair prices on lightly-used full face motorcycle helmets. A used $20 full face motorcycle helmet would be perfect for the winter. Then, a downhill mountain bike with chin bar helmet for the summer. Maybe from eBay.

As I mentioned in the other thread covering this subject, I ended up buying a Kali Invader because I gave two helmets away to friends I am setting up ebikes for. I was gratified that the buddy of mine who got the Super DH felt it would be stupid to remove the chin guard and he went for the protection.

@dingdangdawg mentioned earlier that the Super3R and other helmets would not fit him. That reminds me now of what I have had to do first to my various Bell helmets, and now my Kali, to get them to fit my face. The Kali especially relies on the cheek pads to hug your face, but so do the Bells, and all of them basically shove themselves into your face with intrusive cheek pads. I have found that the dial-in fitment system of the Bell Super3, Super Air, Super DH and now also the Kali Invader can be dialed to fit my noggin very well on its own, and the cheek pieces can be pinned back some to reduce their effect. Not eliminate it, but reduce it so the helmet is comfortable rather than being WAY too restricting to be remotely comfortable. I have crash tested this configuration, unfortunately, and it worked out just fine.

The Kali in particular was problematic. It comes with three cheek pieces, and despite my head measuring to be barely a Size L for the 'L-XXL' helmet size, I used the XXL cheek pads - the thinnest. Riding with them, they were ok... for awhile. But after the ride went on for a bit they were clearly a problem, pushing my cheeks just a bit in between my teeth in my mouth, so I can for sure see a crash where I bite thru my cheeks, or maybe I'd just be a little forgetful and do it somehow on a regular ride.

OK so maybe I have a fat face. So what?

The solution was exactly what I did with my Bell helmets, whose cheek pads were further down the chin guard and don't do this cheek-in-mouth thing, but have the same problem of being just too damn uncomfortable: I used silicone tape to wrap around the helmet chin guard and spiral over top of the cheek piece on each side. This compresses each of them down to a fraction of their original size. I took care not to wrap so tightly as to flatten the cheek pads. Just reduce their size some. They still can do their job, but not so obnoxiously. After a week or so the silicone goes from grippy to smooth. The helmet is also easier to put on and take off.

The Kali helmet is awesome for ventilation. So much so a cloth watch cap liner is likely going to be standard issue for mild winter days. In summer its going to be a big time blessing. It also fits the Take A Look mirror without issue, and you can use velcro ties rather than tape to clamp it on.

Do you ride with a bicycle helmet or a motorcycle helmet, The reason I use a full face motorcycle there is a hell of alot more coverage than a standard bicycle helmet. My average speed on my ebike is around 25 to 35 mph.

So what do you use and why?

I wear a standard helmet (good one) BUT another consideration is cycling glasses as opposed to full face.

I wear cycle glassers as in sun/protection there have been MANY times I have been on a path or the road when a branch has caught me 100% at eye level, and I have said thank god I had glasses on

Even cheap ones.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
As this is not UK based forum do you REALLY mean MC helmet as on a Kawasaki motorbike type or as in MTB downhill they are NOT motorcycle helmets

Do you ride with a bicycle helmet or a motorcycle helmet, The reason I use a full face motorcycle there is a hell of alot more coverage than a standard bicycle helmet. My average speed on my ebike is around 25 to 35 mph.

So what do you use and why?
I wear a DOT approved helmet with pull down sun visor that is hidden when pushed up. I average 15 mph but can easily pedal up to 30 mph but that is too fast for me. I think a bike helmet on a e-bike could be deadly in an accident. Be safe!

As this is not UK based forum do you REALLY mean MC helmet as on a Kawasaki motorbike type or as in MTB downhill they are NOT motorcycle helmets

I assume you're talking to me, responding to Post #24.

Yes, for my eMoped, I bought a motorcycle helmet. Just a humble used one, but meets US Department of Transportation (DOT) standards. I will be hardly ever going below 20 mph and most of the time in the 25-30 mph range, while sharing the streets with cars and trucks. I want to have some protection for my face in case of a crash. On the eMoped, I won't do much pedaling, so sweat is not as much of a concern.

When temperatures get warm enough where the motorcycle helmet is uncomfortably warm, I will probably invest in a downhill mountain bike helmet like @m@Robertson talks about.

Your point about glasses is a good one, but they don't protect anything but the eyes. If you look at the helmets m@ is recommending, they are good quality bike helmets, but with a chin bar that gives some protection to the jaws. In the end, whether it is worth it or not is up to your judgment. I had 3 motorcycle crashes in the past 23 years and in two of them, the chin bar on my full face helmet saved me jaw surgery. The top part of the helmet saved my life.

I wear a standard helmet (good one) BUT another consideration is cycling glasses as opposed to full face.
The problematic portion of that statement is highlighted.

"As opposed to" means "instead of" which is not a good idea at all. If instead you say "in addition to" then glasses are a smart play.

I wear them always, and prefer wraparounds so I don't get bugs in from the nose bridge. Here we have a spring season before the heat kills all the bugs off where they swarm in little tornadoes and you have to either keep your mouth shut at just the right time, or wear a thin mask.

IMG_20200412_141911.jpg

Also wraparound glasses protect that part of your face from exposure to wind-chilled cold. These are simple sunglasses and they've worked well for me for many years.

Got to trim and fuse those chin strap tails, bud. ;-)
They were fused at the factory. I don't believe in cutting things off that aren't essential to trim. The excess is in no way noticeable while riding.

I still have that helmet but its so old I just retired it from daily use in favor of the new Kali. My previous Super3R's internal pads (that helmet got crashed when it was only a few months old) gave it a longer lifespan, and are still good, but it was time to look at newer tech. My Super Air has a much better MIPS liner than the old-school plastic sheet in the Super3R, and the Kali goes in a different direction entirely.

I was just thinking that maybe a football helmet would be a great option for eBikes?

The big face grill can take a hit, but let the air come through to cool the face. Looks like just enough ventilation in the head for lower-exertion riders.

I took a peak on Amazon to see how much a real football helmet costs, and almost shat myself; it's as much as a top-of-the-line full face motorcycle helmet!

Gonna definitely look for used on ebay, with these prices:
1703746518130.png

↑ Speedflex are apparently state-of-the-art, how about an older model from ebay?

1703746971246.png

Still pretty spendy, and the used ones aren't priced any better. Maybe time to check the thrift shops?

After 25 years of motorcycling, 40 years of cycling, and a brain tumor recently taken out of my head; I wear whatever I feel the level of risk I'm willing to take.

At a guess an NFL helmet is meant to provide protection from totally different kinds of impacts/trauma. I'd be willing to bet its fun to think of but really bad in terms of safety.

Oddly enough just a week or so ago I keeled over on my bike (cleated in and in one of only two episodes in 3 years, couldn't unclip when I lost my balance, so had to do a tuck and roll). I bounced my head off the pavement in a reltively minor direct impact but the Kali helmet took it without so much as a scratch and I was only intellectually aware of the impact. Felt nothing other than an authoritative tap on the side of the head.

I changed my cleats to a multi-directional design that is much easier to clip out of than the traditional lateral-release ones I have been using forever. Its a rare risk to start with but much less so now.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
At a guess an NFL helmet is meant to provide protection from totally different kinds of impacts/trauma. I'd be willing to bet its fun to think of but really bad in terms of safety. d
Totally different? No. Slightly different maybe. Football helmets have to take the hits repeatedly. Motorcycle/bike helmets only have to work once. I guess the football impacts are lower velocity and tend to hit softer things, the hardest thing being the other helmet.

But I bet perfectly adequate for eBiking at < 40 mph. Probably not only that, but preferable, compared to the typical half helmets cyclists typically wear.

It's just another option, although not a particularly attractive one, at those prices.

Totally different? No. Slightly different maybe. Football helmets have to take the hits repeatedly. Motorcycle/bike helmets only have to work once. I guess the football impacts are lower velocity and tend to hit softer things, the hardest thing being the other helmet.

But I bet perfectly adequate for eBiking at < 40 mph. Probably not only that, but preferable, compared to the typical half helmets cyclists typically wear.

It's just another option, although not a particularly attractive one, at those prices.
Well, we're going to disagree completely on this :) I think its a terrible idea. I mean... if it had merit, someone would be trying to sell you one. Nobody anywhere is doing that and I think there's a really good reason why.

EDIT:
One quick google question gives some pretty definitive, repeating answers. Obviously its been thought of already. Another variation on the question gives the same result, expanded into motorcycle territory.

Back