Killer accessory recommendation

You get used to it. The left eye becomes trained to be favored whenever one looks, but they're still fiddly. Depth perception is by the environment, rather than true depth perception. That's how one-eyed people can drive.

I tried, but I couldn't get used to them. I even tried a couple of different mirrors. I am pretty severely myopic though so that may has something to do with it. There's a reason they don't let people like me be a pilot in the military. you get more distortion in your peripheral vision, your brain filters out a lot of it but things aren't always where you see and think they are.

If I was in the market for a helmet to replace my Bell Super Air, it would be a Kali Invader 2.0. They don't offer a helmet with a MIPS liner, which you need for protection when your body is flopping around but your head is grinding along the ground and not rolling with you, but they do have a different technology that is meant to do the same job. But the big deal for me is the ventilation which these helmets seem to be the champs at. I'd skip the tape for this helmet and just go with the balaclava.

Amazon has the L to 2XL helmet on sale for $165. Other outlets have the S-M for as low as $145. Regular price is $225 so its good this is the season for deals. No way would I look for a bargain on a helmet. Buy for features not for price... or else.

If I was in the market for a helmet to replace my Bell Super Air, it would be a Kali Invader 2.0. They don't offer a helmet with a MIPS liner, which you need for protection when your body is flopping around but your head is grinding along the ground and not rolling with you, but they do have a different technology that is meant to do the same job. But the big deal for me is the ventilation which these helmets seem to be the champs at. I'd skip the tape for this helmet and just go with the balaclava.

Amazon has the L to 2XL helmet on sale for $165. Other outlets have the S-M for as low as $145. Regular price is $225 so its good this is the season for deals. No way would I look for a bargain on a helmet. Buy for features not for price... or else.
Yes couldn't agree more, it's ok to shop around for a better price, sometimes you can get a better price if you're not choosey about the color or something but I wouldn't buy a cheap no name helmet on Amazon.

thanks for the long and detailed explanation @m@Robertson. Just this afternoon I went for a fairly technical ride (at least for my limited resources! :sneaky:) with my usual ebike buddy and savored some ash after a fall... Nothing serious, just a big laugh (and a cut on the calf) but could be worse one day.

Still can't do quite everything. For example here, a narrow and steep track with a few steps behind my home covered with stones, where I happen to pass often, I still can't work up the courage to pass the last 2-3 meters.

Is this normal or am I simply a chickens**t? :LOL:

1700161600099.png

I just bought this motorcycle helmet on ebay from a neighbor upstate:

I'm a retired motorcyclist, so I'm aware of the melon cooker factor. I also know from experience that HJC size L helmets fit my head shape. It should keep me warm through the winter and also be usable in early spring and late fall here. It's a 2-season helmet, here in WI! (winter + 1/2 of spring and 1/2 of fall) Since I'm buying it to use with the eMoped, on which I don't anticipate doing much pedaling, I think the heat factor will be OK.

Lastly, if I add a (ICE) scooter back into the fleet in the future, I'll already have a suitable helmet. :cool: The Yamaha X-Max is catching my eye.

I'll probably add a downhill MTB helmet to the helmet fleet in the late spring to use on the Level.2 and HyperScrambler 2

Edit: Going to have to fit a bar-end mirror on this one, as there are not enough vents to use the aforementioned mirror with. I guess I could take off the face shield, use glasses and use my old Take a Look mirror...

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
As the OP of this thread, I have you to blame for...

Doing the helmet research for my posts above I saw the discounts on the Kali helmet, and found my size at 25% off. And while I was doing that I remembered I am outfitting a friend of mine with a bike and gear to help get him thru some health crises. So I'll be a helmet down starting next week.

So... how could I not get one? Its supposed to be here Friday. I also saw a Youtube reviewer who had a Take A Look mirror on the visor so I know that works with it, and I have a never-used one in storage I need to dig out.

I'm a retired motorcyclist, so I'm aware of the melon cooker factor. I also know from experience that HJC size L helmets fit my head shape. It should keep me warm through the winter and also be usable in early spring and late fall here. It's a 2-season helmet, here in WI! (winter + 1/2 of spring and 1/2 of fall) Since I'm buying it to use with the eMoped, on which I don't anticipate doing much pedaling, I think the heat factor will be OK.

Lastly, if I add a (ICE) scooter back into the fleet in the future, I'll already have a suitable helmet. :cool: The Yamaha X-Max is catching my eye.

I'll probably add a downhill MTB helmet to the helmet fleet in the late spring to use on the Level.2 and HyperScrambler 2

Edit: Going to have to fit a bar-end mirror on this one, as there are not enough vents to use the aforementioned mirror with. I guess I could take off the face shield, use glasses and use my old Take a Look mirror...
Nice price I had an HJC they are nice helmets, I used it with my beemer a 77' R100S. It was a beautiful bike, just like this one.

Now I have an 82' R100RS, shadow gray, nice but it isn't an eye catcher like the 77 was, but it's nice to be more out of the wind. I have a Shoei helmet and It fits me well but it doesn't seem any better quality than the HJC I think they make a really nice helmet.

Attachments

• image_2023-11-16_191408222.png
    image_2023-11-16_191408222.png
    310.6 KB · Views: 40
  • image_2023-11-16_192743442.png
    image_2023-11-16_192743442.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 39
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
This looks like another killer accessory. Watch the video on it:

Tyre Glider | The Next Gen Tire Lever | Bike Tire Levers | Tyre Tool for Bicycles | for All Tire Widths Including Mountain, Road & Gravel Bikes https://a.co/d/jbp7McH

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
This looks like another killer accessory. Watch the video on it:

Tyre Glider | The Next Gen Tire Lever | Bike Tire Levers | Tyre Tool for Bicycles | for All Tire Widths Including Mountain, Road & Gravel Bikes https://a.co/d/jbp7McH
That does look like a nice tire tool! I'm sold.

I used to have a tire tool I liked called a quick stick by Park, they don't seem to make it anymore. I worked kind of the same, it was just the one tool and you would slide it around.

What lots of people fail to do when removing or installing a tire is to to get the tire bead off the rim all the way around and into the center of the opposite side from where you are starting, so they are trying to stretch the tire bead.

These look kind of interesting as well, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CW912J0?ref=vse_pfo_vwdp_dp_vse_lbvc_4

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Anything mounted to a helmet is dangerous, just ask Michael Schumacher, I am sure he would tell you the same.. if he could talk.

Anything mounted to a helmet is dangerous, just ask Michael Schumacher, I am sure he would tell you the same.. if he could talk.
Will you provide some more details on this please? It sounds like a sweeping generalization that may not apply at cycling speeds.

There was one guy I used to see bike commuting in rush hour. He had a rear-facing camera mounted to the top of his helmet. Might've been fake, for all I know. But I tell you what, motorists behaved around him. He was taking advantage of the fact that people will do the right thing if they think they're being filmed.

Uhh, I don't think any one here probably knows Michael Schumacher. German formula 1 driver?

Seems that he had an head injury skiing, was wearing a helmet, doesn't say anything about something attached to his helmet though.

More details please?

Uhh, I don't think any one here probably knows Michael Schumacher. German formula 1 driver?

Seems that he had an head injury skiing, was wearing a helmet, doesn't say anything about something attached to his helmet though.

More details please?

For my part, (American) I know who he is, but had not heard of the skiing accident.
I don't see anything that related to something attached to his helmet, just that he was skiing in an off-limits area, fell and hit his head on a rock, and even his ski helmet wasn't enough to save him serious injury. (though it did save his life)

Here's the part about that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Schumacher#2013_skiing_accident

I think this helmet mirror looks to be pretty safe. The arm is sections of plastic that snap together like Legos and in an accident it looks like it would just pop right off leaving just the mounting plate attached to the helmet. It makes the mirror easy to adjust but is also safer than if they had used a metal rod or something.

I think this helmet mirror looks to be pretty safe. The arm is sections of plastic that snap together like Legos and in an accident it looks like it would just pop right off leaving just the mounting plate attached to the helmet. It makes the mirror easy to adjust but is also safer than if they had used a metal rod or something.

I would permanently adhere it to the helmet since the arm is flexible and can be moved. If it breaks from a fall or accident so what?? Not that much of an expense considering the safety it provides and can be easily replaced. Personally, I prefer handlebar mounted mirrors.

Can you please explain? As far as I know, Schumacher's head hit a rock while skiing in France. This is a fairly detailed report of the accident investigation: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/feb/17/michael-schumacher-probe-no-criminal-wrongdoing

No source I have ever read has reported that there was a device on Schumacher's helmet at the time of the accident.

I haven't ordered one yet yet but I have this plastic spout for our camper that connects to the outside shower/water faucet that we use for an outdoor kitchen sink. I am curious if they use the same plastic sections as this spout uses, it looks the same.

After 4 attempts (the sellers couldn't deliver to the Canary Island and therefore cancelled the order) I got it!

1701197676683.jpeg

I can't wait to get back to my little island and mount it!

I also got something that looks unrelated but solves an old problem I had: the phone with a USB-C cable attached to a power bank doesn't fit into the phone holder on my ebike. So I got a slimmer power bank and a 90-degree connector USB-C cable...

1701197881690.jpeg

Problem solved!

Back