Bicycle or Motorcycle Helmets

Hozer

Local time
6:03 AM
Do you ride with a bicycle helmet or a motorcycle helmet, The reason I use a full face motorcycle there is a hell of alot more coverage than a standard bicycle helmet. My average speed on my ebike is around 25 to 35 mph.

So what do you use and why?

Depends on which bike i ride at the time...

My silver ebike i wear a bicycle helemet since i only go from 9MPH up to 14MPH (This is my long time in the saddle bike)

When i ride my black ebike i wear a full face helmet since when riding that ebike i'm around 28MPH ;)

Riding my red ebike i wear the same full face helmet for the same reason as above ;)

Before i quit drinking i rarely wore a helmet...thanks the gods ima still here :ROFLMAO:

I like to wear a 1/2 helmet.
I got a HJC harley cruiser helmet I wear. Nice helmet but super heavy.

Now I recently ordered a vintage/retro German leather 1/2 helmet. It's a lot lighter than the harley helmet & DOT approved.

The reason I like 1/2 helmets is the lighter weight & in the face wind. Plus to me they look cooler!!!

Bicycle. Moto helmets don't breathe and if you are pedaling and exerting yourself, a moto helmet is an oven for your melon. Then there's the sheer weight of the things. If you are just throttling a bike and its effectively a low-speed motorcycle, then the negatives of a moto helmet are much less important.

If you want facial covering, thats what mtb/downhill helmets with chin guards are for. And they are ventilated like crazy so if riding in the heat you don't cook yourself. I have a Bell Super3R that saved my face and eye socket from being ground down (my eyeglass lens got ground down some, but my face was untouched). I also wear a Super 3 Air with the face guard. I have a Super Downhill, but its a bit too much unless I'm really doing downhill singletrack where impacts can be one hell of a lot more dangerous than anything on the street.

Yes bicycle helmet motorcycle helmets are too heavy and hot. I'm slow though, I ride with my dog a lot of the time on dirt county roads, and trails, rarely on pavement.

And I use my snow helmet for winter riding which is more like a skate helmet, less ventilation to keep your head warmer, and ear flaps that keep your ears nice and warm.

I like to wear a 1/2 helmet.
I got a HJC harley cruiser helmet I wear. Nice helmet but super heavy.

Now I recently ordered a vintage/retro German leather 1/2 helmet. It's a lot lighter than the harley helmet & DOT approved.

The reason I like 1/2 helmets is the lighter weight & in the face wind. Plus to me they look cooler!!!
If I had your bike or a Harley, yeah for sure!

Do you ride with a bicycle helmet or a motorcycle helmet, The reason I use a full face motorcycle there is a hell of alot more coverage than a standard bicycle helmet. My average speed on my ebike is around 25 to 35 mph.

I use a open face motorcycle helmet as my bike can hit 40mph +. Also, I don't trust those plastic, polystyrene cycle skid lids.

Low speed riding very comfortable

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 16-39-21 Amazon.com MOON Bike Cycling Helmet Mountain Road Bicycle He...png

Currently using a commuter style bike helmet that I had for another ebike. Looking at motorcycle half-helmets now.
Most of my riding is in traffic on 2-6 lane city streets. The wonderful river trail is near my home.....but it is still a 1.5 mile ride on city streets each way to access. The other great park trails are 3 & 4 miles away, on bike lanes with 45mph industrial park tractor-trailer (BudLite trucks) traffic 8 inches away.
Even on the river trail.....if a Nanny's 94 pound 3-seat baby carriage wacks me, I want a good helmet!

I rode Motorcycles for years, and used very protective helmets (after the first wreck).
But, bikes are more agile than most motorcycles, so "avoidance" is part of my protection as well.
I wear a bicycle helmet when I ride a bicycle.
I got a horrific fluorescent yellow one today, which has a flashing red light in the back of the helmet.
Visibility is a key part to accident avoidance. If they can't see you, they will drive right over you (true for Motorcycles as well as Bicycles, ask me how I know).

I ride a Class 1, and I generally ride on the two lowest assist levels, so I appreciate the ventilation and light weight of a good bike helmet. I do occasionally reach speeds of forty plus miles per hour, but most of the time I am riding at more conservative speeds and the bike helmet is appropriate. Pro riders ride much faster than most of us and their helmets have served them well in reducing serious head injuries, so I am not concerned that my helmet isn’t adequate.

I guess that if your ebike is more or less an e-motorcycle with pedals or e-moped, then it would make sense to wear a motorcycle helmet. If your riding includes putting in a lot of physical effort, then I would think that a motorcycle helmet would not work very well.

It is of course a personal choice.

I have a Kali helmet with a chin bar, it was the most comfortable of all of the full-face bicycle helmets I tried. Sad to say Troy Lee, Giro, and Bell Super R just didn't fit. I tried about 8 different helmets.

My ebike can go over 30mph

It doesn't make sense to ride without protecting yr face- not to me, anyway. I found a graphic that indicated 30% of injuries involve face/forehead/chin. Why would I bet against myself?

The Kali is very light and well ventilated. It also had the most comfy adjustment options.

It's a lot cheaper than a trip to the ER.

It is sad there is no decent full coverage road helmet for cyclists.

When I bought the first Bell bike helmet in 1972 and tried wearing it I found I got so hot that heat stroke was likely. I decided it was healthier not to wear a helmet. Very different with the bike helmets that have been available now for decades.

In traffic I want to wear a white bike helmet as motorcycle accident reports show them to be much safer than black ones that escape the notice of motorists.

With my mountain bikes I use a MTB style Scott helmet that provides better protection. If I was a downhill racer I would buy one of the full face mountain bike helmets.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If I didn't already own helmets, both of which are fairly new, I would be using that same Kali Invader. Both for the ventilation and the padding system inside. In a few years I'll get one, but in the meantime I have to wear thru the Bells I have.
I wear a Jitsie HT1 motorcycle trials helmet. Visored but no jaw protector. Great padding. The best clasp system ever.

I wear a Jitsie HT1 motorcycle trials helmet. Visored but no jaw protector. Great padding. The best clasp system ever.

Back