Crank Arm Bolt Removal Tool

Edmund Shane

Local time
8:51 AM
Regarding my K2 Seaside 26” single speed conversion project can anyone tell me what type of crank bolt removal tool is required. This twenty-five year old cruiser, garaged, gently used, when converted with a Bafang 48V 500W rear hub system, will be throttle driven “only”—no pedal assist, no pedals or chaining. By design it will be a fun, not-so-fast low rider—not to be confused with an electric motorcycle or scooter. Thank you.

If it's a square taper crank, I like this one.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
^^^ that is the one to use.

Don't buy a cheaper copy. The more expensive Park one is not that much more, and the really good threading on it helps to ensure the thing doesn't pull out and tear the crankarm threads out with it.

When that happens you have to go get an angle grinder and cut away the alloy crankarms (you stop cutting when you see sparks which means you have hit the steel axle). Two cuts needed to cut the bolt circle into a half circle. I had to do this when I sheared a crank bolt, which is a different problem but requires the same solution.

Back