Lock to take on ride with café stop on £6000 cost to replace bike to satisfy insurance

Shinetop

Local time
11:19 AM
Hi guys
I’m the proud owner of a Specialized turbo Creo sl comp. I’ll be paying this off over 30 months and have neglected to consider insurance requirements and lock I would need to use even if left for a short time, so as not to fall foul of policy small print.
My guess is, (and I’m waiting for a call back from my home insurance) is that I should always use a ‘sold secure gold’ standard of lock. Some of these are cumbersome, heavy and not easy to attach somewhere on a lightweight carbon frame bike.
What advice would you give me please? I don’t want to wear a rucksack on my leisure/fitness/enjoyment rides to fit a lock in but…
Thanks in anticipation
Steve

Welcome.......if you are really worried about theft......don't leave your bike anywhere out of reach........carry a water bottle or thermos for your refreshments......sit on a park bench with your bike next to you. Good luck.

Good luck leaving it anywhere without the correct locks

The general rule is 10% of the value of the bike on a lock, GOOGLE how much to spend on a bike lock.

I NEVER leave my bike in an unsafe unseen location.

USE TWO locks

I use

and have ordered this for my trip

Bothe DIAMOND rated

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Thanks for all the replies guys! I think I’ve stupidly risked leaving my bike ( and my buddy the same) outside a riverside cafe , with bikes mostly in eyesight! Realised this is reckless and will look urgently for a decent diamond or gold rated lock and just suck up the weight and inconvenience of carrying it….I’m usually surgically attached to this bike in the summer, even on a social coffee stop with bike’s very close to our table outside… I’ll be habitually locking it from now on

Thanks for all the replies guys! I think I’ve stupidly risked leaving my bike ( and my buddy the same) outside a riverside cafe , with bikes mostly in eyesight! Realised this is reckless and will look urgently for a decent diamond or gold rated lock and just suck up the weight and inconvenience of carrying it….I’m usually surgically attached to this bike in the summer, even on a social coffee stop with bike’s very close to our table outside… I’ll be habitually locking it from now on
A good 110 dB plus alarm is also a great addition.

The one I got from amazon was:

WSDCAM Smart Bike Tail Light with Turn Signals and Brake Light, Bike Alarm Horn with Remote, Auto ON/Off Rechargeable Waterproof Bike Horn Alarm Rear Bike Brake Light Turn Signals Bicycle Tail Light​

1. Decednt articile Bikeradar UK bike/ebike insurance: CLICK HERE BIKE RADAR REVIEW BIKE INSURANCE

2. Solid Scure Gold Lock is 1000% the righgt direction. Decent article from Cyclist UK CLICK HERE CLYCLIST UK GOD SECURE LOCK REVIEW

3. Frack AirTag - in UK thieves are all-too-hip to AirTags - the best Motion Alarm and GPS Tracking is: CLICK HERE INVOXIA UK ALARM/TRACKER

If my housekeeper at Wilkes St/Shoreditch townhouse tilts my ebike to dust under it - my Invoxia on that bike notofies my mobile here in the USin 6 secs..

A good 110 dB plus alarm is also a great addition.

The one I got from amazon was:

WSDCAM Smart Bike Tail Light with Turn Signals and Brake Light, Bike Alarm Horn with Remote, Auto ON/Off Rechargeable Waterproof Bike Horn Alarm Rear Bike Brake Light Turn Signals Bicycle Tail Light​

LOL ROFL

I have these on BOTH bikes, great minds think alike

They are worth EVERY penny

They have DIFFERENT "codes ??" so no two fobs are the same

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
GPS tracking, fat lot of good if the bike is stolen, leaving you miles/hundreds from home.

GOOD locks

All you can really do is make your bike less attractive to steal. Lock it in a well-illuminated high-observation location, use excellent quality locks, have a noisy alarm, and pray they are not working in a team and simply drag the whole rack (with locked bikes attached) to the bed of a truck, or inside a large cargo van. The pros at stealing bikes know how to find air-tags and trackers. They get wrapped in foil (faraday cage), or simply get ripped out and thrown away. You cannot stop a pro.

The name of the game is to make some other poor bastard's bike look easier to steal by comparison. This does work on a lesser motivated thief.

The rule of thumb as I said is a minimum spend of 10% the value of the bike on locks,

It is NOT the value, insurance will cover it, it is the INCONVENIENCE of the loss, especially if it leaves you stranded. I don't care if my bike is stolen from my home I care if I have no way to get back home other than hope I have enough cash, find a bus, if I can, and so on.

Thanks all for taking the time to respond..
My bike (Specialized Creo turbo SL comp) although not so delicate as not to be used and enjoyed, is not really the type of bike to be left locked up to a rack and left. If anyone tried to wrestle it away from it’s shackles it would likely cause extensive damage to the carbon fibre framework….so even if it survived the attempt at theft it could be left battered and looking like it had been dragged behind a truck!!
It would be secured briefly to order a coffee etc..
with a sold secure lock to deter, and importantly, so that I could make a successful claim, should the worst happen! I’ll look for an appropriate lock which complies but doesn’t weigh too much or can easily be attached to the bike when both bottle cages are in use.
Thanks again for all the great advice,
Steve

Back