Juiced HyperScrambler 2 thread

Smaug

Local time
9:22 AM
I just ordered one of these the other day, but it's not scheduled to ship until mid-November.

As such, I've been reading and watching all the content I could find prior to its arrival. I thought I would start a thread to share what I'm learning, and also to let others chime in on it. I'll eventually put my thoughts on the bike here.

As a start, here is a review I found very helpful. It's one of the VERY few that seems to point out possible drawbacks:

Significantly:
  • Fork stanchions flex under braking; they should be more stout for a bike of this weight and speed. I guess it won't FEEL good under maximum braking, but will still stop me. I don't do maximum braking except in an emergency.
  • Dual piston front brakes may just be adequate
  • Uncomfortable seat (every reviewer points this out, so I believe it!) It's long enough for two, but the bike doesn't include passenger footpegs. (boo)
  • Stand-over height = 35". Juiced recommends this for riders 5'7 and up. I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam, so I expect a challenge here. I don't know ANYONE who's 5'7" tall with a 35" inseam! I'm willing to accept for the dual 52 V, 19.2 Ah batteries. I had a Kawasaki KLR650 before, which was tall and I managed fine. I guess I'll be getting used to only putting one foot down at stops, as the cross tubes are probably still going to be too high for me.
  • Controller power handling seems questionable. Bluepoint 35 A controller with only 12 MOSFETS. The reviewer thinks 18 are required for this power level, but not all MOSFETS are the same. Heat-sinking and ventilation also have to be considered. One commenter said this is a dog up hills, which also points to the controller current limit being a limiting factor.
  • Microshift 8-speed derailleur seems sub-par. They've updated their specs to reference the MicroShift, but there's one pic that still shows Shimano Altus. I don't anticipate this being an issue, as I plan to mostly use this bike with throttle. It would have to be PRETTY bad to actually be a problem.

Re. the order, itself, I pre-ordered it, thinking I wouldn't be charged until it ships, but that's not how it works. Since it's a PRE-order instead of a backorder, they charge immediately. That is a little sketchy. I'll be paying the credit card bill before I even have the bike! (confirmed by emailing customer service)

Things I have on my To-do list:
  • Get a downhill mountain bike helmet. I will consider the chinbar necessary for going ≥25 mph often.
  • Look into more comfortable seat options.
  • Get the fenders & foot pegs. Hopefully Juiced will offer a discount on them, as $200 for these two things is straight-up gouging.

I just ordered one of these the other day, but it's not scheduled to ship until mid-November.

As such, I've been reading and watching all the content I could find prior to its arrival. I thought I would start a thread to share what I'm learning, and also to let others chime in on it. I'll eventually put my thoughts on the bike here.

As a start, here is a review I found very helpful. It's one of the VERY few that seems to point out possible drawbacks:

Significantly:
  • Fork stanchions flex under braking; they should be more stout for a bike of this weight and speed. I guess it won't FEEL good under maximum braking, but will still stop me. I don't do maximum braking except in an emergency.
  • Dual piston front brakes may just be adequate
  • Uncomfortable seat (every reviewer points this out, so I believe it!) It's long enough for two, but the bike doesn't include passenger footpegs. (boo)
  • Stand-over height = 35". Juiced recommends this for riders 5'7 and up. I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam, so I expect a challenge here. I don't know ANYONE who's 5'7" tall with a 35" inseam! I'm willing to accept for the dual 52 V, 19.2 Ah batteries. I had a Kawasaki KLR650 before, which was tall and I managed fine. I guess I'll be getting used to only putting one foot down at stops, as the cross tubes are probably still going to be too high for me.
  • Controller power handling seems questionable. Bluepoint 35 A controller with only 12 MOSFETS. The reviewer thinks 18 are required for this power level, but not all MOSFETS are the same. Heat-sinking and ventilation also have to be considered. One commenter said this is a dog up hills, which also points to the controller current limit being a limiting factor.
  • Microshift 8-speed derailleur seems sub-par. They've updated their specs to reference the MicroShift, but there's one pic that still shows Shimano Altus. I don't anticipate this being an issue, as I plan to mostly use this bike with throttle. It would have to be PRETTY bad to actually be a problem.

Re. the order, itself, I pre-ordered it, thinking I wouldn't be charged until it ships, but that's not how it works. Since it's a PRE-order instead of a backorder, they charge immediately. That is a little sketchy. I'll be paying the credit card bill before I even have the bike! (confirmed by emailing customer service)

Things I have on my To-do list:
  • Get a downhill mountain bike helmet. I will consider the chinbar necessary for going ≥25 mph often.
  • Look into more comfortable seat options.
  • Get the fenders & foot pegs. Hopefully Juiced will offer a discount on them, as $200 for these two things is straight-up gouging.
Congrats on the new ebike? Looks like a nice ride! What color did you order? Fire engine red?

It's "common practice" in the eBike Space for "Pre-Orders" of new and/or high demand models to be paid 100% in Advance. Ir I have not done business with a particular "Brand" before - often I choose to default to Affirm. ShopPay, etc. Since it is Vendor Referral Financing I figure if the deal goes South - that Finance Platfrom will have contractual recourse with the Brand to reverse the deal.

I was a 1st adopter of the Arial Grizzly - and ALL the stock seats on this style eBMX-Moto are insufficiently comfortable for my a*s.

If this is your 1st "Juiced" - they are a very interesting brand as they touch/engineer/spec a lot other aspects of their eBike models than others do.

Example - Juiced does have stricter QC standards on frame painf and finish than others - and to deliver that difference to the Customer - Juiced has FULL FOAM INNER PACKAGING which is EXCEPTIONAL - so frankly Juiced bikes get deliveredto your door without the bumps and mars you ALWAYS GET FROM OTHERS CARDBOARD INNER PACKING.

Attachments

• 1. AUG 21 2PG UNPACKING & BATTERY CHARGING_Page_1.jpg
    1. AUG 21 2PG UNPACKING & BATTERY CHARGING_Page_1.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 73
  • 2. AUG 21 2PG UNPACKING & BATTERY CHARGING_Page_2.jpg
    2. AUG 21 2PG UNPACKING & BATTERY CHARGING_Page_2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 62
After I purchased my RR I got several e-mails and a card in the bike packaging for a 20% discount on the purchase of accesories.
I emailed them asking for a coupon code for accessories and they're playing dumb. "What code are you referring to?"
Me: "The one you send out in emails to customers after they buy an eBike."
Them: "Which email?"

I will wait in hope then for such an email; I don't know if I can bring myself to pay $150 for a set of fenders.

Electrek's review seems very real-world too: https://electrek.co/2020/12/09/juiced-hyperscrambler-2-review/

YouTube version link

I especially value their comments on range expectations:
Seth Weintraub @ Electrek
[...]You can absolutely go 100 miles with the two-battery HyperScrambler 2. But that will require a healthy amount of pedaling, avoiding huge hills and keeping the speed at or under 20 mph, which would make it a 5+ hour ride. I don’t think that’s what the second battery is for in this case.

If you’re gunning it all the time (and real talk: You will be, it is so friggin’ fun) through hills at over 30 mph and use the pedals as pegs, you are going to get about 20-25 miles per battery. That’s still outstanding, especially for a bike this heavy. But I think owning the second battery is to get closer to 50 miles of range when gunning it all the time. At least that’s my experience in a month plus.[...]

I'm dying waiting for this thing. It's going to be a long few weeks and we'll probably have snow on the ground and sub-freezing temps by the time I get it. Such is the cost for the closeout pricing, I guess.

I emailed them asking for a coupon code for accessories and they're playing dumb. "What code are you referring to?"
Me: "The one you send out in emails to customers after they buy an eBike."
Them: "Which email?"

I will wait in hope then for such an email; I don't know if I can bring myself to pay $150 for a set of fenders.

Electrek's review seems very real-world too: https://electrek.co/2020/12/09/juiced-hyperscrambler-2-review/

YouTube version link

I especially value their comments on range expectations:

I'm dying waiting for this thing. It's going to be a long few weeks and we'll probably have snow on the ground and sub-freezing temps by the time I get it. Such is the cost for the closeout pricing, I guess.
For $70 you can put 20x4 metal fat fenders on it. Or you can spend a bit less & put plastic fenders on it. They are offered in different colors from different suppliers.
Screenshot_20231030-151435_Chrome.jpg

1. Yes - FYI - the Juiced 52V Battery(s) uses a battery case Proprietary to Juice (Juiced paid for the tooling)

2. You will be IMPRESSED with the Juiced Foam-Protected Packing - and they also use mondo zip-ties best addressed with diagonal cutters

3. After you unpack and setup - check your Display and Throttle connecting cables - on other models Juiced has HiGo/Julet "Screw-Lock-Connectors" - nice touch.

4. Juiced has the Satiator charger for $287 incl XLR connnector - so you know the Satiator is awesome - I paid more for each of my 2 - but I have never regreted that investment for my eBikes/eScootersscorpion fenders.

5. I know you have been miffed about Fender Set since April - unless you are a dedicated SnowBike or MudBike Guy - don't care so much !

Aventon Sinch set is like $40 + shipping. Key is returnable if dont fit.

Plastic Fender with light sanding you can spray with BedLiner for really "cool" look.

For $70 you can put 20x4 metal fat fenders on it. Or you can spend a bit less & put plastic fenders on it. They are offered in different colors from different suppliers. View attachment 11647
↑ What makes you think they'll fit? They don't look a lot like the OEM ones: https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/hyperscrambler-fender-kit?variant=32880919642176

Not picking on you, I just don't want to waste my time ordering stuff just to try.

1. Yes - FYI - the Juiced 52V Battery(s) uses a battery case Proprietary to Juice (Juiced paid for the tooling)
OK. They look like it.

2. You will be IMPRESSED with the Juiced Foam-Protected Packing - and they also use mondo zip-ties best addressed with diagonal cutters
I've seen this packing with other products. I will have to see if it's recyclable. I think the main thing is that thought & care went into packing. My heybike Ranger had good packing, but it wasn't custom foam like that; they just zip-tied everything together and put foam blocks where the corners of the bike hit the box. It came flawless.

3. After you unpack and setup - check your Display and Throttle connecting cables - on other models Juiced has HiGo/Julet "Screw-Lock-Connectors" - nice touch.
Yeah, that makes service easier down the road.

4. Juiced has the Satiator charger for $287 incl XLR connnector - so you know the Satiator is awesome - I paid more for each of my 2 - but I have never regreted that investment for my eBikes/eScootersscorpion fenders.
That's been recommended to me before. I found a $36 XLR 4 A charger on amazon that I'm eyeing. Not sure I want to commit to $290 for the charger, unless it'll work for ALL of my eBikes. Do they make different plugs that can be adapted?

5. I know you have been miffed about Fender Set since April - unless you are a dedicated SnowBike or MudBike Guy - don't care so much !
When I appreciate them is:
  • When I commute despite there being a 20% chance of rain, then it pours all day after I get there and I ride home in the wet,
  • Riding home in the rain,
  • if it just rained the previous night and the street is wet but it's not raining that day. I can't get to work all dirty, so the choice is a) don't ride or b) have good fenders.

Aventon Sinch set is like $40 + shipping. Key is returnable if dont fit.
What makes you think that'll fit?

I haved a Ariel Grizzly - so this style

1. I am not affiliated with Amazon or YZPower - this is the $37 charger I would recommend - I have their 48V model I bought to charge a 48V sccoter I have at the office. Good charger - buy/pay on Amazon -Amazon ships express from China - you have Amazon return priviledge:

CLICK HERE $37 58.8V XLR-3PIN CHARGER

2. The ONLY Fenders with JUICED FACTORY FITTING will be Juiced Factory Fenders I have mentioned before that Juiced is a bit more "intensive" on "this is designed and made for Juiced model"

3. I mentioned the HiGo/Julet screw locking connectors if you go to change Displays - or y/Extend something the same screw lock cables are not available from 3rd party

4. Based on my Grizzly - handlebars became a important "thing" for me - to maximize "comfort" more importantly to minimize "discomfort" you have to find the least-uncomfortable-upper-body-position-for-you. It STARTS with handlebars/stem - the very last thing is you order a Saul's seat.

Have fun with it !

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I haved a Ariel Grizzly - so this style

1. I am not affiliated with Amazon or YZPower - this is the $37 charger I would recommend - I have their 48V model I bought to charge a 48V sccoter I have at the office. Good charger - buy/pay on Amazon -Amazon ships express from China - you have Amazon return priviledge:

CLICK HERE $37 58.8V XLR-3PIN CHARGER
Boy, there are a TON of XLR chargers, and the pinouts vary as well as the output plug. (male vs. female) I guess I'll have to wait and see what the stock charger looks like and which pins are + and -. I'll assume you're right for now, and I put that in my Wish List for future reference.

2. The ONLY Fenders with JUICED FACTORY FITTING will be Juiced Factory Fenders I have mentioned before that Juiced is a bit more "intensive" on "this is designed and made for Juiced model"
I was just looking at the fender stays, and they do look different, but it's hard to tell as some of the product photos show them disassembled. The Juiced fenders are kind of squarish; they don't seem to fit the round cross section of the tires, which is going to make it even more draggy @ 30 mph.

3. I mentioned the HiGo/Julet screw locking connectors if you go to change Displays - or y/Extend something the same screw lock cables are not available from 3rd party
I don't think I'll want to change the display, unless the stock one stops working.

4. Based on my Grizzly - handlebars became a important "thing" for me - to maximize "comfort" more importantly to minimize "discomfort" you have to find the least-uncomfortable-upper-body-position-for-you. It STARTS with handlebars/stem - the very last thing is you order a Saul's seat.
I'll keep it in mind. For a long time, I was strongly considering the X-Class 52 V, but I like the dual batteries, street tires and cast wheels on this model. The main complaint on this HyperScrambler 2 is the seat discomfort, but we'll see how it goes.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I got politely declined over at Moped Army: https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,4618935

It's funny, even though this is a rangy eMoped, it's not enough to ride up to Milwaukee (from Kenosha) and still have "juice" enough to join a moped ride. In our world, 25 miles @ 25 mph is pretty good range, but not in the fuel-powered moped world. I'd have to ride up one day, stay with a friend while I recharge overnight, then maybe take it slow over to a meet-up spot and join.

No, it's OK. I'm working on starting a local eBike club; we just got our first member who isn't in the family. Baby steps!

Well, I got the closeout pricing on the bike, but Juiced got their profit out of me anyway on the accessories.

One helpful forum member PM'd me a 20% discount code that worked and I gave them another $268:
1698765761225.png

• Inflator: I've been wanting to try one of those LiIon rechargeable inflators. One member here talks them up; I think it was M@. This seems to be a good price on one, after taking a quick look in "the jungle".
  • Phone Mount: This is expensive for one of these, but it's said to be good quality (and not just by Juiced) and it includes a cable to wire into the bike's electrics. Should keep my phone from running down on a longer GPS-guided ride.
  • Rack: Expensive for a simple rack, but it's a custom part, so... I plan to get a locking toolbox from Menards, drill some holes in the bottom and zip tie it to the rack for some cheap locking storage. These toolboxes are so cheap nowadays I can just replace it every few years, if the UV eventually gets to it.
  • Fenders: After some soul-searching, I decided to pay way too much (even after discount) for the Juiced fenders. I decided I don't have the patience to order a set, find they don't fit, then have to pay to return them or write them off.
I just realized I have a spare 20x4" inner tube left over from my heybike Ranger (1st eBike, now gone) that I can carry with this.

I couldn't find the passenger footpegs for the HyperScrambler 2. I hope they're just out of stock and not discontinued because mopeds aren't allowed to carry a passenger...

This is what HyperGuy's call 4-3-2 Adjustment:

CLICK HERE YOURTUBE 4-3-2
Edit: I can't see what he did, but he's quite proud of it!
I read the video description, where he explained it a bit better. He swapped the positions of the brake and switchgear. Moved the brake lever more toward center and shortened the throw and moved the switchgear inward to make them easier to reach. (and possibly without looking, with experience)

That's a great tip; thanks!

Reading/watching up, found some new info:

This guy (Keeping it Kresky) had his plastic planetary gears strip out on him. Then, he found a cheap replacement set from Amazon, only those gears didn't have the sealed ball bearings in the centers. I like this guy, he's pretty chill and takes responsibility for his own mistakes. Admits when he doesn't know something and was just trying to figure it out.

This other guy (Uncle Fjester) is a bit dramatic. He crashed three times on the stock Innova road tires. He shows the crashes; the tires don't seem to do well in cooler weather and are about worthless offroad. I would expect them to grip better on pavement than they seem to, though. I've had cheap OEM motorcycle tires like this once on my 2018 Honda CBR500.

Another video from the same guy ↑ he seems to be having cut-outs. May be related to his ape hanger handle bars that he thinks are funny or maybe a controller issue. He bought from the first kickstarter or indiegogo batch:

Back