I bought a Insta 360 X3 camera to make riding videos

biknut

Local time
4:10 AM
So far it's just been one gigantic pia after another, but I'm finally ready to start trying to figure out how to use it. To make the camera work you first have to download an app from the insta website, and it can only be downloaded, first to a android phone, and then from the phone to the camera.. First roadblock was my phone was so old it couldn't support the app. Ok, my phone was the first model that didn't run on gasoline, and has gotten buggy over the years. I ordered a reasonably priced Galaxy A25 on Amazon. I thought all I needed to do is swap out my SIM card, and I'm good to go, but NO, my old SIM card is a different size. No problem I though, I walked into AT&T with a phone, but no SIM. I walked out a few minutes later with a SIM card but no phone to put it in, because they said my new phone won't work on their U.S. network even though the seller implied it would. They couldn't change the card back to my old phone because they said it was too old. Now I didn't even have a phone. Next I went to Best Buy near my house which sells the same phone, but of course they were out of the A25 model, but in their store across town they had one. 2 hours later I was walking out of AT&T with my new working phone. Only problem it's so advanced compared to my old phone, I can barely use it. Now after some hours of trial and error I've been able to download the insta app, and install it in my camera. That's when I discovered that compared to the camera, the phone is a piece of cake to figure out how to use. That's about where I'm at so for. I'll keep this thread updated as I progress.

I'm finding this camera not too difficult to operate, but trying to edit anything is a nightmare. I'm not exactly sure how I did it, but somehow I managed to upload this short video. The only editing involved was changing to the view to look toward the bike, and trimming it down to 13 seconds. Any changes I made to the camera settings probably make it worse. It's taken me all day to get this far. I can get a video from the camera to my phone, but once there I can't figure out how to do anything with it. I made this video using the insta studio program for windows, which is camera straight to laptop via C cable. It's not much easier to figure out than the phone app, but so far it beats the phone app slightly.

I figured out one more problem. When I download a camera file into the insta studio app, it won't play properly on my computer. It's very choppy and slow. What I figured out is a typical video file from this camera is humongous, and my computer doesn't have enough ram for it. When I jack the camera down to the lowest setting it plays fine then. I guess now I'll need a new computer.

I'm finding this camera not too difficult to operate, but trying to edit anything is a nightmare. I'm not exactly sure how I did it, but somehow I managed to upload this short video. The only editing involved was changing to the view to look toward the bike, and trimming it down to 13 seconds. Any changes I made to the camera settings probably make it worse. It's taken me all day to get this far. I can get a video from the camera to my phone, but once there I can't figure out how to do anything with it. I made this video using the insta studio program for windows, which is camera straight to laptop via C cable. It's not much easier to figure out than the phone app, but so far it beats the phone app slightly.
Those 360 cameras are really cool I must say!

I figured out one more problem. When I download a camera file into the insta studio app, it won't play properly on my computer. It's very choppy and slow. What I figured out is a typical video file from this camera is humongous, and my computer doesn't have enough ram for it. When I jack the camera down to the lowest setting it plays fine then. I guess now I'll need a new computer.
It's been a while since I've done any video editing, but I always remember it was extremely resource intensive.

I ask Mr A.I. what the requirements are to run the Insta Studio app. Turns out my old laptop comes up short in at least 2 ways. The app requires at least 16 GB of ram, I have 6 GB, and a graphics card that's, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB) and above. Mine is Iris® Xe Graphics, which is probably most of the problem. This is going to take a while. I guess for the time being I'm going to have to learn how to use the Insta phone app better.

This says a lot about how little I know about computers. I should have expected this to happen, my laptop is probably 8 years old. Luckily I have a lot of friends that are computer experts, but I hate to stop and ask for directions.

After taking a crash course on, insta phone app at YouTube university, it looks like the 360 camera is actually made for the phone app first, and Studio second. I was assuming the opposite. Knowing that should speed things back up a bit. So far I haven't even tried to use the phone app for editing.

These kinds of things often have a steep learning curve. Your skills will improve quickly as long as you keep experimenting. Looking forward to seeing those vids!

This is my first, phone app edited video. Hopefully the learning curve will pick up soon, but right now it's very slow going. Nothing seems intuitive to me. The how-to videos are too advanced for me to understand. Once I learn more maybe they'll start making sense to me. Even though this is short and sweet, it wasn't easy, and I'm not 100% sure how I even did this, but I have a clue. I've finally figured out how to cut footage off the beginning and end of the vid. Yesterday all my test videos were totally washed out. It took me a long time to figure out I had accidentally changed the ISO setting too high. Now I know what that looks like. This camera has a thousand tricks, and I'm learning about 2 a day so far lol.

One type of video I don't find very exciting is when the whole video is shot from a handle bar POV. I like to see the bike when it's in motion, as well as the scenery.

It looks like the studio app has a lot of similarity to the phone app. It has the same trim procedure for instance which took me 4 days to figure out. I see other things that work the same too.

I learned a new trick. On this video I did the editing with the phone app, but I downloaded it to the studio app, and from there to my computer. I'm not sure but I think the phone app only downloads in portrait. I like landscape better, and that seems like the default of the studio app.

In this video all I did was ride straight down the street while bending the damn camera to my will by making it look first to the rear, then to the front, and next toward the bike. When I got t the end of the block I made a u turn, but couldn't quite get it to follow my pov through the turn. U turns are kind of tricky too follow. I'm still not 100% sure how I did this, but I'm learning.

I made a few short videos today. It's getting easier. I don't really like editing on my phone very much, mainly because the screen is so small. I find that I can use the Studio app on my computer for some editing. I tried to make this video more life like. I did this editing with the computer studio app

I think it'll be a while before I can start using the fancy stuff, because right now it's only available to me on the phone app.

This is what the mount looks like.

insta 360 mount 1.jpg
insta 360 mount 2.jpg

I really don't like the portrait view for my videos. I'm not sure the phone app will do it any other way. This is basically the came video in landscape view. I only know how to do this with the Studio app.

All these videos are just for practice. I think I'm probably getting close to first base now. After watching a couple more how too vids I was actually able to understand what it was talking about. I tried a couple of things that didn't show up in the video. Maybe next time.

Back