eMopeds are taking over the eBike realm, and this is why

Thinking about this topic over time and thinking about the thread title, I think there are two distinct markets:

1) eBikes. Think US Class 1 and Class 2. These are more attractive to older folks who want to ride a bike, but are either not strong enough or have some disability that prevents them from riding an mBike. Or, people who live riding bikes, but headwinds and hills take all the fun out of it.

2) eMopeds. These are more attractive to the younger crowd. They want the speed of a moped or 125cc scooter or motorcycle, but the convenience and low maintenance of electric.

US Class 3 eBikes remain in this niche gray zone for now. In bike shops, they're prohibitively expensive and in the shadier online marketplaces, they exceed Class 3 because they can use throttle past 20 mph.
Your assessment seems reasonable. I guess I fit into #2, except I'm not young. I would also add freedom from most regulations as an extra incentive to ownership by young people, many of which are struggling to find good jobs in this economy.

I've been thinking about this topic on and off.

Since I got my eMoped and since it got cold, I gained 3 pounds back. (and I've been riding only the eMoped, since it got cold)

I don't know if it will have staying power for me.

I think cops should have more important crimes to solve.
Burglary, robbery, homicide, assault, harassment, missing person, etc.. what percentage of those actually get solved?
Motor vehicle accidents, domestic dispute, suicide attempts, etc.. those may be more pressing issues that eMopeds crimes.

I fully support mandatory education or lessons for traffic laws prior to eMoped ownership.
When riders don't know the consequences of their actions on eMopeds or eBikes, traffic laws just become suggestions to their behavior.

Based on what I'm seeing, the young kids today are gravitating toward Super 73 style bikes. They aren't going to wake up some day and say, I want a old timey regular bicycle looking eBike. If history repeats itself they're just going to want a bigger and faster bike like the one they already have.

Attachments

• super 73.jpg
    super 73.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 14
I've been thinking about this topic on and off.

Since I got my eMoped and since it got cold, I gained 3 pounds back. (and I've been riding only the eMoped, since it got cold)

I don't know if it will have staying power for me.
I managed to get 4-days of riding in, in February which surprised me this year on the eMoped bike and I was pulling a trailer. Usually
the round trip is close to 15 miles and there are a few hills but they don't bother the bike much unless there is high wind 17+ mph and
gusts over 24 mph with a loaded trailer. A damp cold wind in the country is a big problem in cold weather Seasons. I have rode my
gasbike in 40 degree weather 17 mph wind and a fella needs a windshield, mittens, Carhart coveralls, boots and even a helmet!
That's not a problem in a small community or city but in the country, a different story.

I think cops should have more important crimes to solve.
Burglary, robbery, homicide, assault, harassment, missing person, etc.. what percentage of those actually get solved?
Motor vehicle accidents, domestic dispute, suicide attempts, etc.. those may be more pressing issues that eMopeds crimes.

I fully support mandatory education or lessons for traffic laws prior to eMoped ownership.
When riders don't know the consequences of their actions on eMopeds or eBikes, traffic laws just become suggestions to their behavior.
Well, as long as we're talking about "should", they should be staffed up enough to do almost everything.

Back