California looking at new law about e bike licensing and training.

It takes money to build any infrastructure.....it also takes a lot more money to maintain it down the road......our roads have potholes.....our bridges need replacement......many older bikepaths need serious work......somehow.....when these projects are built.....they forget they also need to be maintained.......we ain't good at maintaing chit.....ebike paths/roads will be no different.

Problem with infrastructure occur when heavy vehicles like 18-wheelers operate on road that are not meant for heavy weight vehicles.
In America, majority of economy rely on truck delivery, hence the public roads are littered with potholes & irregularities that may prohibit cars or other vehicles that may travel at higher speeds.

Problem with infrastructure occur when heavy vehicles like 18-wheelers operate on road that are not meant for heavy weight vehicles.
In America, majority of economy rely on truck delivery, hence the public roads are littered with potholes & irregularities that may prohibit cars or other vehicles that may travel at higher speeds.

Certainly heavy vehicles break down our roads.....but.....it's more than that......in our rural town....roads are bad with no heavy trafiic......just a lack of maintence for many years. Bike and walking paths don't get heavy trucks on them but are still worn out. The problem is no consideration was given to their maintenence when origially constructed. A common excuse......we don't have the money to maintain.....that path was put in with grant money. Well.....dummy.....either get more grant money or next time you build something.....ask how it will be maintained. You can't fix stupid.

I doubt the parents are buying these ebikes, more than likely teens just get a hold of parents'credit card and buy whatever they want for themselves.
That's why the parents need to be held accountable with their auto insurance premium going up x5 or x10 when their kids are responsible for accident cause by these ebikes.
Man, parents are so soft these days...I wouldn't dream of ordering anything using my dad's credit card without his permission because he raised me to respect him and fear him if I didn't. That's why I love him...he didn't try to be my friend..I had friends, I needed a leader! Oh..and yes we are friends because of that!

Man, parents are so soft these days...I wouldn't dream of ordering anything using my dad's credit card without his permission because he raised me to respect him and fear him if I didn't. That's why I love him...he didn't try to be my friend..I had friends, I needed a leader! Oh..and yes we are friends because of that!
I must have a few years on you.....my Dad did not have credit cards......but he taught us the meaning of money and waste.....glad he did.

This news came out in an Italian e-mobility magazine. I post here a reference to the original article: https://thecoastnews.com/boerner-introduces-bill-requiring-e-bike-safety-test/, in English.

The new proposal, submitted on February 10, has been modified by the same Boerner who also proposed it last year.

I have different feelings about it. From one side I believe that electric bicycles, especially those available in the U.S. that have considerable power and sometimes are de facto motorcycles, are a danger for the safety of minors and the public. On the other hand, I believe that the laws in place in the EU, which limit available power and assistance, remove this problem, leaving everyone with the right to ride an ebike.

It's complicated...

Huh? He referred directly to your assumptions about eBiking in NYC, since he spends 5 days a week there. It's not about nothing, he called you out, bro. ;-)
No. There is a history there of making pointlessly contrarian statements for their own sake, and this was one of those. There is wide evidence to show what I said was accurate (as an aside, I know people who live there, in the bike manufacturing industry and also own ebike shops in the area so I hear more directly from locals vs. just the blogosphere). It was an argument started for its own sake, which I admit is harder to gauge if you are coming into this thread months later and didn't have to suffer through the daily soap opera.

This news came out in an Italian e-mobility magazine. I post here a reference to the original article: https://thecoastnews.com/boerner-introduces-bill-requiring-e-bike-safety-test/, in English.

The new proposal, submitted on February 10, has been modified by the same Boerner who also proposed it last year.
Does everyone understand that this law is SOLELY aimed at young children who have zero driver training and no education whatsoever on rules of the road? Its much less threatening when you take into account its a safety certification for young riders who are now commonly operating quasi-motor vehicles.

This is a money grab pure and simple. pay for teaching, annual renewals, different rates for people and a charge that is extra if you live in a clogged county. They can't enforce that. However, they could make you put a compliance sticker on the bike much like a car. LOL, I live in Georgia....hahah California. Feel bad for ya...

Before long we will be seeing these everywhere.

Lmao we got portable ebike dyno's now!
Yes officer could you dyno my bike today, just wanting to make sure the mods I did, Is making more power now!
Screenshot_20240214-160358_Chrome.jpg

No. There is a history there of making pointlessly contrarian statements for their own sake, and this was one of those.
He can be a devil's advocate, but he often has a good point. Anyway, let's just table that.

Does everyone understand that this law is SOLELY aimed at young children who have zero driver training and no education whatsoever on rules of the road? Its much less threatening when you take into account its a safety certification for young riders who are now commonly operating quasi-motor vehicles.
Protect the children, eh? What happened to parenting? As the USA slowly unravels, what I think is needed are government-sponsored parenting classes. I can't imagine a parent not taking a child under their wing and show them the ropes.

I think more than that, what is needed is more emphasis in driver's ed. that bikes are to be respected and are allowed to be in the road too. Many/most car drivers feel like the road was made just for them, and scooters, bicycles, motorcycles, etc. don't belong there.

Also, I would point out that the government is being lazy by not building infrastructure just for bikes. (as they have for pedestrians)

I think more than that, what is needed is more emphasis in driver's ed. that bikes are to be respected and are allowed to be in the road too. Many/most car drivers feel like the road was made just for them, and scooters, bicycles, motorcycles, etc. don't belong there.

Also, I would point out that the government is being lazy by not building infrastructure just for bikes. (as they have for pedestrians)
I totally agree.

I would only add that these mindset changes take decades (a generation or two), investments, infrastructural updates... And they only work as long as users see personal benefits: cleaner air, saving money, reduced time to get to work and errands, health benefits for her/him and the family, less noise, etc.

At the beginning, one should expect great opposition from the general public.

Protect the children, eh? What happened to parenting?
Thats the world we wished we lived in but don't :-(
I can't imagine a parent not taking a child under their wing and show them the ropes.
Times have changed, unfortunately. Now we're seeing parents just hand the bikes over and consider themselves done with it, or at least thats what the epidemic (as reported in the media... so add in that grain of salt) in Southern California makes it look like. That poor kid who was killed on the Rad bike was a direct outgrowth of this hands-off approach.
Yeah and you will find no shortage of American drivers who angrily point this out any chance they get. NYC is the only real extremist enclave that outlawed ebikes, and then only allowed them after being dragged kicking and screaming. And New York State still technically bans them - not by an actual ban them but by requiring them to be registered, and then refusing to allow their registration by simply not having any way to do it. The latest I am reading is that enforcement is getting so aggressive and problems with landlords and batteries are so bad that delivery drivers are going back to gas-powered scooters. There's a win for society right there.

This all has to be changed slowly via the American culture. Thats going to take quite a while.
Politicians do what the most registered voters want, or they don't get re-elected. And after all, the point of being a politician is getting re-elected first and foremost, right?

Politicians do what the most registered voters want, or they don't get re-elected. And after all, the point of being a politician is getting re-elected first and foremost, right?
That's not even true anymore.....once in power they simply redraw the lines to ensure their elections. Once elected.....their mission becomes one of making money....lots of money and they don't really give a chit what the people want.

Back