California looking at new law about e bike licensing and training.

jimbo5

Local time
10:33 PM
Well with so many people getting e bikes now looks like because as you read article. Amount of injuries and kids and worse lost life. Cities are seeing to many riding them fast , no helmets, not follows the rules to be safe. So read article and speak up what you think. I know when I ride my e bike I've got my helmet on gloves, mirror and make sure I'm seen by other and treat people with respectful. I'm just trying to enjoy and exercising. Already old and with back and knee problems just makes using a e bike to get around still .

I like the age requirement but.....keep in mind.....the state will make money from this if it passes.....the license will cost you money....the training will cost you money.....soon after.....mandated insurance will be required.......it's all about the money.

I call BS... the toothpaste is already out of the tube on this one. Zillions of ebikers of all ages already out in the wild. I can see police maybe stopping youth riders. But how for example will you deal with people who rent an ebike in a tourist town for a day?

People have been saying that The Man is about to crack down and make everyone get a license and insurance etc. etc. for as many years as ebikes have been a thing. Throughout all of this time, the trend has been to loosen restrictions, not add new ones. Last I checked the 3-class system has now been codified in 41 states most of the remaining states have some form of different - and more permissive - legislation. Also the use of ebikes is near and dear to the hearts of California's progressive urban planning, and throwing a wrench into that will torpedo progressive efforts to ramp up ebike use. Thats a powerful lobby to try and punch in the mouth.

Its not so simple as a government money grab. The sky is not falling.

EDIT: If you read the article the licenses and training are only applicable to riders who do not have a drivers license, and puts in an age floor of 12 years old. This is all about kids riding ebikes who have no driver training of any kind.

I like the age requirement but.....keep in mind.....the state will make money from this if it passes.....the license will cost you money....the training will cost you money.....soon after.....mandated insurance will be required.......it's all about the money.
Yeah that's how the state's works. Can't have fun or work on your health . I agree it's about money. And there's the stupid people that ride like s**t and seen lots of that too.

Well with so many people getting e bikes now looks like because as you read article. Amount of injuries and kids and worse lost life. Cities are seeing to many riding them fast , no helmets, not follows the rules to be safe. So read article and speak up what you think. I know when I ride my e bike I've got my helmet on gloves, mirror and make sure I'm seen by other and treat people with respectful. I'm just trying to enjoy and exercising. Already old and with back and knee problems just makes using a e bike to get around still .

Personally I think this is needed as so many parents are buying fast e bikes for kids that are too young and stupid to ride them. I'm in SOCAL now in a beach town and the number of kids 12 and under I see on these bikes is huge. I get it its a great way to get around for the kids, but they have no sense of how to be safe on the crowed streets with all the distracted drivers we have today.

I don't believe there'a rash of eBike fatalities, but it's probably not all about eBikes. I ride often with One Wheels, eSk8's, and EUC's, and a common topic with all of them is about the bones they've all broken. I rarely hear an eBiker talking about getting hurt on their bike.

I don't believe there'a rash of eBike fatalities, but it's probably not all about eBikes. I ride often with One Wheels, eSk8's, and EUC's, and a common topic with all of them is about the bones they've all broken. I rarely hear an eBiker talking about getting hurt on their bike.
That’s not what it’s about for me. It’s about it’s about all these dumb young kids doing things that will affect my riding e bikes like lots of restriction where can be used.

Strikes me as another regional problem. NYC is loaded with junk ebikes held together with spit and tape, owned by a poorly-paid underclass of worker who are just trying to get by as best they can, with cheaply rebuilt patchwork batteries, charged in horrifically unsafe conditions so they like to go boom and kill people.

So Cal is overrun by kids with parents who buy them the ebike they want with essentially no parenting, preparatory instruction or supervision, and so the streets have a disproportionate number of little rugrats hooning around like you'd expect kids would if given half a chance. I know back in the day every kid wanted a little minibike powered by a Briggs & Stratton. If we had all gotten one back then, lawnmowers would probably still need a 10-day waiting period with a DROS list and a background check.

Strikes me as another regional problem. NYC is loaded with junk ebikes held together with spit and tape, owned by a poorly-paid underclass of worker who are just trying to get by as best they can, with cheaply rebuilt patchwork batteries, charged in horrifically unsafe conditions so they like to go boom and kill people.

So Cal is overrun by kids with parents who buy them the ebike they want with essentially no parenting, preparatory instruction or supervision, and so the streets have a disproportionate number of little rugrats hooning around like you'd expect kids would if given half a chance. I know back in the day every kid wanted a little minibike powered by a Briggs & Stratton. If we had all gotten one back then, lawnmowers would probably still need a 10-day waiting period with a DROS list and a background check.

Quite some generalization.
Just how much have you ridden in each region to have those observation to be considered as general occurrences?

I've been commuting on bicycles, motorcycles, scooters & e-bikes in NYC metro since 2013,
my observations are that delivery workers on e-bike actually take care of their e-bikes since their incomes depend on their vehicles being operational.
The beat up e-bikes are actually the ones used for bike shares used by tourists.

Batteries charged in unsafe conditions or 100+ year old wiring that's being utilized to supply electricity to modern electronics and appliances at or close to maximum capacity due to population density?
Battery explosion vs overheated wiring have very specific signs in fire scenes; make sure you have the evidence and clearly see them to learn about how each fire was started.

Kids getting fast toys isn't anything new.
Operating fast toys in public streets illegally is parents' responsibility.
I'd think the parents should also be held responsible in the proposed legislation when kids are caught breaking the laws.

We can always count on you for this kind of argument-about-nothing nonsense.

And yet you fail to answer my question.

Maybe my posts are non-sense to you because you choose to ignore the reality that we live in.

Majority of delivery workers on e-bike do take care of their e-bikes.

Much of infrastructure in NYC metro are old and not well suited for the over populated neighborhoods.

Fire scenes can tell a lot about how fires are started, that's just facts and reality, according to FDNY firemen that I've spoken with in my NYC neighborhood.

You choose to ignore, them consider them "argument-about-nothing non-sense"?

I can get behind the age and safety requirement. But much of this, as I read it, is relieving parents of any responsibility. They go out and buy little Johnny ( or Joanie) a 30mph e-bike cuz all their friends have one. Eventually they get hurt, or worse, and the first thing parents want to do is sue someone. How about this….you buy your child an e-bike and give to them without safety gear or training or speed restriction. If your child gets hurt you get punished.

Much of that discussion was carried out in another (10-page thread):

Let's face it, children often purchase items from their devices if they just have access to parent's credit card, without parent's approval.

I do feel that any legislation should involve parents when a child illegally operates a vehicle on public roads and gets into accidents.
Maybe triple their auto insurance rates?

Much of that discussion was carried out in another (10-page thread):

Let's face it, children often purchase items from their devices if they just have access to parent's credit card, without parent's approval.

I do feel that any legislation should involve parents when a child illegally operates a vehicle on public roads and gets into accidents.
Maybe triple their auto insurance rates?
If I still had young children and one of them purchased an ebike using my credit card without permission......they would never be able to ride that ebike....at least not until they had their phone devise removed from their butt and their broken fingers healed.

If I still had young children and one of them purchased an ebike using my credit card without permission......they would never be able to ride that ebike....at least not until they had their phone devise removed from their butt and their broken fingers healed.

With kids that can afford e-mopeds like SurRon.. $1000 iphones.. driving around in Tesla..
I'd say triple their auto insurance cost when kids caught speeding on public roads is probably just a slap on the wrist.

Quite some generalization.
Just how much have you ridden in each region to have those observation to be considered as general occurrences?

I've been commuting on bicycles, motorcycles, scooters & e-bikes in NYC metro since 2013,
my observations are that delivery workers on e-bike actually take care of their e-bikes since their incomes depend on their vehicles being operational.
The beat up e-bikes are actually the ones used for bike shares used by tourists.

Batteries charged in unsafe conditions or 100+ year old wiring that's being utilized to supply electricity to modern electronics and appliances at or close to maximum capacity due to population density?
Battery explosion vs overheated wiring have very specific signs in fire scenes; make sure you have the evidence and clearly see them to learn about how each fire was started.

Kids getting fast toys isn't anything new.
Operating fast toys in public streets illegally is parents' responsibility.
I'd think the parents should also be held responsible in the proposed legislation when kids are caught breaking the laws.
NYC is a different world you can’t compare any that goes on there to any other place in the world. Also NYCers get used to dealing with all that and become blind to it.

NYC is a different world you can’t compare any that goes on there to any other place in the world. Also NYCers get used to dealing with all that and become blind to it.
NYC has always been unique.....they say in 1895.....there were approx. 200,000 horses on the streets of NYC everyday.....an average 1000lb horse drops 35lbs of manure a day and pees 2.5 gallons.........seems NYC has always been a crappy place.

All mega cities around the world that I've lived in have crappy neighborhoods.
Crappy place or not, it's where most people flock to, when trying to make it on their own; it's what you make of it.
The grit it takes to arrive in NYC with nothing but what you can carry and make it here in NYC is what makes this country unique.
NYC is not just another world, it's hundreds of worlds crammed into few square mile.
NYC is not for everybody, just as e-bike is not for everybody; if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

Back