Aventon Level 2 Review Thread

Hmm, I haven't noticed my front brake hose being too short, even with the adjustable stem all the way up and back.

I don't believe these are as easy to change as brake cables, as you have to have a way to bleed the brakes, so if it doesn't need it, you should not change it.

Received my Lerway post extension and absolutely no way the brake cable is long enough. So now gotta switch that out.
My cable has almost zero play from the factory. Nothing is ever easy...... :mad:

Ordered brake line kit and mineral oil. Hopefully the right brake line kit????? Says its for Tektro brakes so fingers crossed.
Will update on my progress or disaster later in the week.
cheers

Ordered brake line kit and mineral oil. Hopefully the right brake line kit????? Says its for Tektro brakes so fingers crossed.
Will update on my progress or disaster later in the week.
cheers
oh man i hate going through the hydraulic brake line search LOL

mine doesnt have the banjo head connector it has a japanese type of hydraulic line connector that i cannot find over here in America ...
just my luck!

Ride Safe! :cool:

HP

Do you have the pace 500 adjustable stem?
No, it was an off-the-shelf stem from my local bike shop. The packaging had some branding, but I forget what it was, and it's not marked with anything, so I can't tell you what it is. Free installation too!

Received my Lerway post extension and absolutely no way the brake cable is long enough. So now gotta switch that out.
My cable has almost zero play from the factory. Nothing is ever easy...... :mad:
You must've gotten a pretty long extension; mine had no issues. On mine, with it adjusted all the way up and back, it is a noticeable difference, but still has a forward lean.

On yours, would it be an option to re-route the hoses (not cables) under the bar instead of in front of it?

I changed it up a bit and ordered the

‎D Dymoece 90mm stem from amazon this works fine without having to change the brake cable and the headlight bracket that came with the Aventon stem fits so no need to move the headlight now if anyone wants the Aventon adjustable stem let me know

New level 2 front fork Question. Seems that no matter how much I adjust the front fork adjustment, I feel zero difference.
How far are you supposed to turn the adjustment?? I have spun the crap out of it, both directions, and see no result??
I

I turned mine all the way in and then backed it out about a 1/4 turn. I have a Level.2, stepover large and I weigh around 245 lbs.

"BATTERY WON'T CHARGE" STORY

Yesterday, I commuted on the Level.2 despite it being a bit cold, hovering right around 30 °F. (-1 °C) When I got home, my battery was at 19%. I decided to plug it in. It wouldn't charge using the jack on the outside of the bike. I could've sworn I've charged it in colder temperatures than this before, so I was puzzled. I had been riding around in salt spray, so I wondered if something got shorted out or corroded. I checked and all the connections were clean and dry.

I thought maybe a connection between the battery and the outside of the bike was going bad, so I removed the battery and tried charging it directly. No dice, the light on the OEM charger wouldn't go from green to red.

I got out my multimeter and tried to check the pack voltage. Couldn't do it, the contacts are too far recessed (for safety against accidental short circuits when it's out of the bike) and I don't have needle-sharp probe tips.

Next, I plugged the charger directly into the battery pack. Same thing. I wondered if the factory charger was OK. It should be, as it has never been dropped or anything. I checked its output with my multimeter, and its output was pulsing. It's either messed up, or its a smarter charger than I thought, looking for the right voltage before allowing a charge load. I got my other charger, the adjustable output one I got from AliExpress. That one has a display, and I could see the voltage was down near zero and no current.

The BMS in the battery pack seemed to have shut down the battery output, either for high internal temperature, due to the cells discharging on the mostly uphill ride home or due to cold. (cold is more likely, I think)

I took some pictures in case I had to write to Aventon for warranty service, but I decided to bring the pack inside the house and let it warm up or cool down, then try again later. A few hours later, I plugged it in to the adjustable output charger and it charged fine. I let it go overnight at its ~52 V 0.5 A setting. In the morning, it was still charging. I loaded it into the bike and powered it on; right at 81%; perfect!

The moral of the story is that the BMS (battery management system) on a good battery pack and some charger electronics are smarter than I thought. The BMS will not only shut the pack down if it overheats, but also will let it discharge in the cold, but not charge in the cold, keeping the cells in their specified temperature range. The OEM charger from Aventon is a good one, with a 3 A output and looking for a battery load before activating the charging sequence.

Nice job on the pack BMS, Aventon, and nice job on the UL 2271 battery pack safety certification, SGS. (y) I'll have to check tonight if the stock charger works properly again, now that the battery is warmer in the garage. (my attached garage is about 20° warmer in the winter than outside)

That is extremely impressive given where you live and the cold weather.
We are VERY happy with the two we purchased. Just added Lerway handlebar riser to my wife's bike so she would more upright.
Did not have to extend the cable on hers like I did mine. I think we are at about 500 miles, all pleasure, no commute. Well, except to have a beverage or two up the road.
Have you had to change tires yet? Ours have barely worn in 500 miles.

That is extremely impressive given where you live and the cold weather.
We are VERY happy with the two we purchased. Just added Lerway handlebar riser to my wife's bike so she would more upright.
Did not have to extend the cable on hers like I did mine. I think we are at about 500 miles, all pleasure, no commute. Well, except to have a beverage or two up the road.
Have you had to change tires yet? Ours have barely worn in 500 miles.
Nope, original tires are still doing great.

This too is one place where Aventon spends some money and others don't. These Continental tires are awesome. They don't sleep except in snow or mud, they're wearing well, the seem to sipe the water well. After 260 miles on my eMoped, I'm already noticing wear on the Innova tires. They're good too, and sticky, but they're just not wearing as well and the tread wasn't that deep to begin with.

I do wish the front fender went a bit lower; my hiking boots are pretty dirty from water spray.

I'll probably go through 3 rear tires for every front, if the front doesn't crack with age first. There's SO much more weight on the rear of this bike; I found that out trying to load it onto a car rack once, and that's before I get on it and put luggage on the back.

I have an opportunity to get one Level 2 for a good price. Thing is that I am fairly unfamiliar with Aventon as a brand, so my question is should I go for it?

I have an Aventure 1, got it just before they released the Aventure 2 DOH!!

By going into the speed limit in the App you can adjust that PAS a little bit. I've been messing around witrh mine and i believe i have it to where i need it to be as far as the speed it gets up to in PAS 1(8mph) before human power takes over and that seems to work great for me on those days i want to pedal more than others. :)

I do think i will change the 4" tires to 3" tires this summer to see if that gets any better mileage or whatnot..
You must be filthy rich to keep buying ebikes. Must be nice!

Back