Aventon Level 2 Review Thread

Today, I had a field test of the Topeak trunk bag.

I changed the oil on my car. A few days ago, I changed the oil on my wife's car. I had 10 quarts of dirty oil ready to be recycled. I decided to see if i could fit it in the fold-down panniers of the trunk bag; a perfect fit! I rode to the auto parts store to recycle it, and bought two more 5 quart jugs with filters and brought them with me. On the way home, I got a bottle of wine for my wife. The wine, oil filters and U-lock were all in the top of the trunk bag, and a 5 qt. jug of oil was in each pannier; perfect.

As a little bonus, the route to the grocery store from the auto parts store was slightly downhill and I had probably a 15 mph tailwind, so I hit 30 mph for the first time today. It was GLORIOUS. Maybe the full panniers acted as a sail? ;)

Attachments

• Loaded trunk bag1.JPG
    Loaded trunk bag1.JPG
    346.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Loaded trunk bag2.JPG
    Loaded trunk bag2.JPG
    350.7 KB · Views: 165
When consumers ask for it, companies will comply.

Instead of learning how to operate the gears and pedal with efficiency,
consumers just demand companies to add more features to the bikes so they can jack up the prices.

To me it's sad to see consumers who are willing to spend much more for a mid-drive with torque sensor, etc..
just to avoid the flaw of extra chain stress/wear; when hub drive ebikes are plenty capable and cost much less in comparison.
But they are not plenty capable if you have big hills in your life or if you want to feel something great when you are riding it. I own both kinds and they are day and night different. Mid-drive's with a torque sensor are the best of the best and that is what I enjoy riding the most. Yes I have $6000 into my mid-drive and $1500 into my hub-drive. But it is worth every penny to me for my mid-drive. Once you ride the best. It is hard the settle for second best...

I just got a Aventon Pace 500.3 and am looking at getting one of the Suntour NCX seat posts. The Pace 500.3 has a 30.9mm post, which is available on the $30-40 more expensive SP17. There are also shims available for the 27.2mm SP12. Do you know if there are any differences between the SP12 and SP17 besides the post diameter?

It’s there on the Suntour product page you originally linked to, but this is the only text that mentions the two:

“The SP12 is available in 27.2 and 31.6mm sizes while the SP17 is offered in 30.9mm. Featuring a 50mm range of travel and stainless steel bushings.The SR SUNTOUR NCX seat post is best in class for performance and value.”

I finally got the Topeak rack and mounted it. Now I can use my fancy MTX trunk with fold-out mini panniers.

In hindsight, I probably didn’t need the “disc brakes” version; there’s plenty of room.

It’s the Explorer rack for 26 and 27.5” rear wheels. Seems like they were pretty generous in the radial clearance too. (This bike has 27.5” wheels and 2.2”, I think)

View attachment 7961

View attachment 7960
Smaug what mirror did you get?

Hello, ebikes forum members. I got my Aventon Level.2 a week ago Saturday after a lot of consideration between it and the Rad Power Bikes Rad City 5. Test drove both and liked the Level's ability to go 28 mph when unlocked from the app. And the overall better look and cable management. The Rad City 5 had a better upright seating position so was more comfortable for me. I use the bike to ride to work (about 2 miles each way and I also go home for lunch each day so about 8 miles total) and go on some pleasure rides. I noticed on Sunday when doing a long ride that when under motor power, both pedaling and using throttle, the regular motor noise started to be joined by another, concerning tone that sounds like a metallic scraping. The noise never shows up when I'm on PAS 0 or just coasting so I know it is in the motor. I've done some online research and don't see anything that matches this noise. I took it back to the shop where I bought it and they did a test ride and said it is normal for this bike and nothing to worry about. How about you all? I want to love this bike but this noise has me losing confidence in the long term durability of my $2000 investment.
Hello, I have a Trek 2. I cannot get it to go beyond 20 mph. I don't use the app and wonder if the app would fix this? One would certainly want the bike to work fully without the need for an App. What is the secret to go 28 mph?

Thanks Smaug for all the awesome information. My wife and I just bought some level 2 step through bikes a week and a half ago. Hers in the small and mine in the medium/large. We've already put in about 60 miles on the bikes and so far we've been really enjoying them. I've already upgraded some components to make the ride more comfortable. We both wanted more of a comfortable cruiser upright feel so I've changed the bikes accordingly. I've put the Suntor NCX suspension post on both of the bikes. (I have a cover over my seat post as I also have a Thule Child seat and I was worried my son might stick his finger in the post hinge). I have Cloud 9 seat on my bike as well. I originally tried to put a Cloud 9 on my wife's bike as well but since she's only 5'3 the Cloud 9 didn't fit. The big bottom springs of the seat would bang against bike rack and there just wasnt enough clearance. Ended up going with a serfas rx saddle for her bike which she's pretty happy with. It's much lower profile than the Cloud 9.

In any case the biggest comfort difference so far has been changing out the stems. I put some Triwonder stems that I bought on Amazon (only $20 each) and set them in the most upright position. Made a huge difference in how comfortable we felt. We had both noticed some back pain after our first couple rides but once I changed out the stems it eliminated the back pain right away. We're sitting much more upright and the comfort is really great. Only downside is the little bracket that holds the headlight to the original stem doesn't fit the new stem. So I'm currently looking for a new headlight that I will rewire to the bike hub. For now I've just stuck on the headlights on double sided tape until I find a more permanent solution. Not ideal but the tradeoff for now was totally worth it IMO.

My wife really wants a front basket for her bike but of course not just any cheap wire basket. She wants one of those nice frame baskets with a wood bottom. I'm having trouble finding one that will work with our handlebars (needs to have a wide enough clearance to fit in either side of the LCD.) Anyone here have any luck?

Anyway just wanted to say hi.
PXL_20230605_163130259.MP.jpg
PXL_20230605_163253776.jpg
PXL_20230605_163248545.jpg

Hello, I have a Trek 2. I cannot get it to go beyond 20 mph. I don't use the app and wonder if the app would fix this? One would certainly want the bike to work fully without the need for an App. What is the secret to go 28 mph?
As far as I know there's no way to unlock the top 28 mph setting without the app. At least for the aventon. Not sure if the Trek is the same way.

How does it do on hilly terrain? I live in San Francisco and have tried a few bikes that can handle these hills. I have one right now that I particularly am liking. I'm just testing longevity out.

How does it do on hilly terrain? I live in San Francisco and have tried a few bikes that can handle these hills. I have one right now that I particularly am liking. I'm just testing longevity out.
It does fine on hills. The lowest gear is about right for 7-8 mph, then you have the 500 W motor.

On your steepest hills it might struggle; you’ll definitely have to help it out.

I think if I lived there, I’d want a mid drive bike, so the motor could use the gearing too.

It does fine on hills. The lowest gear is about right for 7-8 mph, then you have the 500 W motor.

On your steepest hills it might struggle; you’ll definitely have to help it out.

I think if I lived there, I’d want a mid drive bike, so the motor could use the gearing too.
Great to know. Do you know much about the Emerald Fold? I recently purchased and I'm liking it a lot. It seems fairly new though considering they don't have a ton of reviews. I don't have any idea on longevity of the battery. It uses a 48v Samsung battery, so I just wanted to get your take on that bike or battery. Again, thank you for the knowledge.

Great to know. Do you know much about the Emerald Fold? I recently purchased and I'm liking it a lot. It seems fairly new though considering they don't have a ton of reviews. I don't have any idea on longevity of the battery. It uses a 48v Samsung battery, so I just wanted to get your take on that bike or battery. Again, thank you for the knowledge.

I don’t know anything about the bike, I think I said so in your other thread. This thread isn’t about your bike.

However, If it has Samsung cells, it will last a good while. Up to 3x longer if you keep it between 20-80% charge state. Long term store around 30-50% state of charge.

New update. Just added some Ergon GP5 handle grips to our bikes. While these are very pricey for just grips, these feel amazing. Just got back from a hour long ride. Just cruising along while holding the upper grip section is the most comfortable I've ever felt on a bike. Highly recommended.
PXL_20230607_175412238.jpg

Okay just finished relocating my headlight. (Due to new stem not fitting old headlight bracket)
Found this person on Amazon who had done it and used this simple mounting bracket. As mentioned in the review it does require you to widen out the hole in the headlight bracket ever so slightly but it's not a big deal if you have some basic drill bits. Anyway happy with the way it came out. Ill include the Amazon link if anyone needs to move their headlight.

PXL_20230607_211547695.MP.jpg

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I don’t know anything about the bike, I think I said so in your other thread. This thread isn’t about your bike.

However, If it has Samsung cells, it will last a good while. Up to 3x longer if you keep it between 20-80% charge state. Long term store around 30-50% state of charge.
Good to know, thank you.

Back