What drew you to ebikes in the first place? What keeps you riding an ebike?

The Dutch live in a very small country compared to the U.S. I would suspect they mostly commute within the City and not from some far-flung suburb. That probably holds true here as well with most bike commuters commuting within the city or close by. I know there are exceptions, but for the most part I don't think there are an abundance of bike commuters pedaling in from distant suburbs, especially in winter. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see better infrastructure for bike commuting. In my state (Maryland) I think it would be fairly comfortable to commute for about 8 months of the year. Dec-March might be a challenge.

@neutron, this is only partly true.
Sometimes they use their very efficient train network to get to work, but it's the whole social structure that's designed for short commutes. For example, their cities are designed so that almost everything is within walking distance. I suggest you watch some youtube videos made by a guy from Toronto who now lives in the Netherlands (where I also spent some periods of my life and where my son got his master's degree almost for free, although he is not Dutch). If you have time and want to learn more about sustainable mobility in the Netherlands compared to a typical North American city, search for NotJustBikes on youtube.

Just to be clear, I am not criticising the American way of life in particular, because I was born in a city, Rome, Italy, that is constantly plagued by traffic and where there are no solutions in sight because no one seems to understand that the solution requires careful planning and a change of mindset. I've lived in many countries around the world for long periods of my life, I'm not nationalistic and I don't want to say that this country is better than that one. I just look at the good and the bad of every country I have lived in, including the US (Delaware and a lot of time spent in San Diego, CA).

For example:
Mobility: The Netherlands
Food: Italy :)

My younger has been into Ebikes for 6 years. I'm 73 years old and my brother and I now can go on rides together. We both are into Solar in our homes and into charging are bikes with solar. I stated to to him he was the one that got me into Ebikes. He stated noway!! You got into Ebike's on your own. lol

The wife and I thought it might help keep us agile. We reside in Ohio and there are over 100 miles of the Towpath Trail that we want to explore. I figure with a cube trailer to haul the trikes we can drive to different launching points, ride out, have a picnic, then back to the trailer. We also picked up a Wag-Along trailer so our Border Collie could join us in the fun. Actually it’s the end of the riding season here but we will be ready come Spring.

I’ve ridden bikes all my life. Sadly, I became a smoker and smoked for 25 years-the last handful of years I smoked 3 packs a day. I did quit in 1995 but the damage had already been done. So…now I have COPD. I kept riding but it became increasingly more difficult on climbs and into the wind. E-bikes have made me love riding again.

Back