Cold weather riding clothing..what do you wear?

A light backpack serves two purposes. It holds extra gear to add or take off, and it keeps your back warm...panniers too.
I keep enough Bushcraft, prepper....stuff in my moss covered van to survive a global nuclear holocast,
strain 647 covid, & even an unlikely GOP victory. I have 3 or 4 light backpacks packed for assorted
scenarios. That's just fur starters!:oops:

I cycled in -20F quite happily wearing wool in a dry climate but -5F near the ocean was difficult. If you are not exercising its no different than having a light walk. You need to rug up. I push my self on my ebike so I can feel comfortable with one layer.

I cycled in -20F quite happily wearing wool in a dry climate but -5F near the ocean was difficult. If you are not exercising its no different than having a light walk. You need to rug up. I push my self on my ebike so I can feel comfortable with one layer.
LOL I like my ebike alot but I refuse to ride my bike in 40F no way in hell much less in 20F weather. lol. Have fun :)

I think he said -20F not 20F. Now that's some cold weather. I'm surprised it gets that cold in Australia. Maybe he cycles somewhere else?

Yeah I'm with you. My lower limit is probably in the 50's. This will be the first fall and winter that I've had an ebike. I'll have to experiment and see how low I'm willing to tolerate.

50's I agree 100%. This my first winter and I am..................NA NOT GONNA DO IT!!! LOL

I just looked up studded tires for my hybrid bike; (700c x 45) they are quite spendy! I would have to do a lot of snow/ice riding to justify them, and I certainly couldn't justify them for more than one bike:

Going to look up studded tires for my incoming Juiced HyperScrambler 2 eBike and see if more are available, as this is probably a more popular size for eBike tires.
Find the tire you want then do a general search for the tire in the size you need and you might find a much better price.

The studded tires I have Schwalbe ice spiker pro retails for something like $135 but I found them for just under $70 still pricy but a lot less than full price. https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en...410321527&utm_content=Bikeinn USA Marcas_BING

But you probably already did that. The cheapest is often 26" mountain bike tires.

I took a short ride this afternoon. Temps in the low 60's. I had a long sleeve tee shirt and a thin pullover for a windbreaker. I was fairly comfortable except for my neck and head. I passed another cyclist who was wearing a balaclava under his helmet and thought I should try that. I turned around and went home since I was not far away and put on the balaclava that I recently purchased but never worn. Wow what a difference! Toasty warm and way less wind noise. I bought a thin one and my helmet fits over it fine. I don't know how you could wear one of the thicker ones like the army issue and still wear a helmet. I may not need a thicker one later this fall or winter since the one I have seems pretty warm. Time will tell.

Temperature at 53F this morning so I decided to go for a ride and see how it felt. It was sunny and no wind. I had on an undershirt, shirt, sweater, and thin windbreaker. I also wore the balaclava under my helmet. Jeans for pants. Very comfortable during my 6 mile ride. This afternoon I took another 16 mile ride and the temperature was up to 59F. Humidity at 70%. I actually got a little overheated and could have been more comfortable without the sweater under the windbreaker. So I think I'll be able to ride with temps in the 50's no problem. The humidity, wind, and cloud cover will all make a difference to temps in the 50's too. I'm usually riding in pedal assist 2 so I'm contributing some effort and not just going along for the ride. I had ridden about 20 miles before I lost the first bar on the battery display with four remaining.

This time of year where I live, (SE Wisconsin, right near Lake Michigan) it's raining at least half the time. I enjoy bike commuting so much, that I usually will ride to work as long as it's not raining hard when I need to leave.

Today, it's supposed to be raining all afternoon and evening, but I rode anyway. probably will pay the penalty and get drenched on the way home, but that's invigorating in its own way. We'll see about the water resistance claims on the bike too! I'm really playing with fire too, because I didn't even wear a water resistant jacket today.

I took the dog for a ride this morning, it was 34 F and just starting to snow. We were out for a little more than an hour and went only five miles. I go slow with the dog. Everything was good except for my hands. I just ordered a pair of these rechargeable heated gloves for myself, and also a pair for my wife. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BDCVCBSR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
With $20 off coupon they ended up costing $74 I checked out twice to get the $20 coupon on both pairs.

I can't wait to have toasty warm hands while out in the cold!

It's winter here for six months of the year and I have to get outside, or you know, "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". So it will be really nice to not have cold hands! I have come close to frost bite over the years and I just cant tolerate the cold hand and feet like I used to.

I'm going to get some heated foot beds as well, it seems like a better way to go than heated socks, as socks need to be washed regularly and that doesn't seem compatible with electric heat.

I'll report back when I get the gloves.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.

Attachments

• 20230922_154945.jpg
    20230922_154945.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20230925_103552_Snapchat~4.jpg
    Screenshot_20230925_103552_Snapchat~4.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 35
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
What do you mean "cold"

In winter, spring "cold" UK I wear this

and this all the time, warm and seen in the dull weather
Ironically, that marked vest may cause more harm that good. I would think that motorists would have to be very close to read it; maybe part-way through the pass. It would be a good experiment to try with a plain bright green vest and see if you notice a difference.

There are bumper stickers in the USA with too much text on them, and it causes other motorists to tailgate them just to read, so it actually causes a problem.

{Off-topic} Re. your "Autistic and Happy" signature, I've that autistic people I've known and met usually have a "superpower" to help compensate for the social issues. Do you have an "autistic super power?"

One family friend seems to have a photographic memory for train statistics and routes. Super-nice boy. His sister has more mild autism but can be very nasty and antisocial, but she's already in college engineering classes in high school. Another autistic boy I met in a hotel pool could do amazing math in his head. (if you don't want to talk about it publicly, I understand, no need to respond)

Ironically, that marked vest may cause more harm that good. I would think that motorists would have to be very close to read it; maybe part-way through the pass. It would be a good experiment to try with a plain bright green vest and see if you notice a difference.

There are bumper stickers in the USA with too much text on them, and it causes other motorists to tailgate them just to read, so it actually causes a problem.

{Off-topic} Re. your "Autistic and Happy" signature, I've that autistic people I've known and met usually have a "superpower" to help compensate for the social issues. Do you have an "autistic super power?"

One family friend seems to have a photographic memory for train statistics and routes. Super-nice boy. His sister has more mild autism but can be very nasty and antisocial, but she's already in college engineering classes in high school. Another autistic boy I met in a hotel pool could do amazing math in his head. (if you don't want to talk about it publicly, I understand, no need to respond)

I upset people easily :( BUT I am able to empathise with many other disabled and autistic, recently started an Autism group in our local library first Monday of every month, 11-1 but I arrive (three hour car round trip) as one autistic person comes at 10:30 to be "first there" as he doesn't like mixing.

I wish I had some power, I went in to Gregs in Carmarthen asking if they could donate to me (as I buy all the tea, coffee, cakes out of my NHS pension) 50 disposable paper cups, they refused :( so I went to buy them in Tesco.

I am however and have always been a Photographer, since 12 (now 65) when Dad got me a Kodak Instamatic, I now do voluntary photo work for Sustrans and their cycle routes (the blue signs with white bike symbol

I am ALWAYS happy to talk to anyone about Autism and help where I can, thanks for asking, never be ashamed of who you are.

Images for Sustrans adverts for their routes

Img_2861.jpg

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG

img332.jpg

What do you mean "cold"

In winter, spring "cold" UK I wear this

and this all the time, warm and seen in the dull weather
Great vest, I want that one. Being deaf, I have to be constantly checking the mirror, Even then a vehicle occasionally
sneaks up on me. The other day it was a bus that passed on a curve with scarcely 6" to spare. Rawther unnerving!
Climate here is much the same. Summer was on a Tuesday last year.

Great vest, I want that one. Being deaf, I have to be constantly checking the mirror, Even then a vehicle occasionally
sneaks up on me. The other day it was a bus that passed on a curve with scarcely 6" to spare. Rawther unnerving!
Rawther ;)

Amazon with printing £6.50 with postage, I think adding "Thank you" make a difference to drivers, as a driver I like a thank you

Back