What are your cold weather ebike limits?

Couple of battery tips from a Bosch manual:

Winter use – During winter use (particularly below 32° F (0° C)) we recommend charging and storing the battery at room temperature be-fore inserting the battery in the eBike immediately before riding it. For longer journeys in the cold, it is advisable to use thermal protective covers.

Storage – Temperatures below 14° F (-10° C) and above 140° F (60° C) should be avoided.
I keep both my e-bikes inside so they stay at room temp when not in use. Depending on the temp/wind/windchill, I’ll ride in the upper 40’s. But when most people hate riding in the summer, I’ll ride in 100 degrees without any issues.

I keep both my e-bikes inside so they stay at room temp when not in use. Depending on the temp/wind/windchill, I’ll ride in the upper 40’s. But when most people hate riding in the summer, I’ll ride in 100 degrees without any issues.
Sweet!! I like 110 deg and 9 degrees F when bundled up properly :)

The ONLY thing I’m doing at 9°F is bundling up with my dog under a blanket or two.
I consider myself pretty hardy, but single digits (°F) is too cold for me. I could DO it if I bundle up, but it becomes not fun when it gets that cold.
I commuted today at 24 °F. (-4 °C)

Clothing for this ride:
  • Slacks for work
  • Overpants
  • Hiking boots
  • Regular socks
  • Ski jacket
  • Ski mittens
  • Ski helmet
  • Wynd glasses
The faster one goes and the less one pedals, the colder it feels. My typical commute has me going around 17 mph in PAS1. An mBike is a MUCH warmer ride, and I probably wouldn't need overpants. (half the speed, twice the effort)

Back