Memorial Day Family Ride Report

Smaug

Local time
5:28 AM
This has been my dream for awhile, to get the whole family on eBikes for a day ride. Right now, I only have 3 eBikes, so I can't have both daughters along, but the older one is 17 and will be gone or too busy soon.

My wife has had troubles with her crotch hurting, no matter what seat. She always wants to tilt the seat further forward, thinking that gets the crotch piece out of the way. I finally convinced her to tilt it backwards a bit (level) and it was better. Then, cycling shorts made a HUGE difference too.

The weather was perfect: about 70°F and partly cloudy. We got nearer to Lake Michigan and it dropped 5-10°.

For this ride, I was on my Aventon Level.2. (500 W commuter, torque sensor) Wife was on her Electra Townie GO! (250 W cruiser, torque sensor) elder daughter was on the Lectric XP Lite. (350 W folder, cadence sensor)

The first leg of the trip was from our home to downtown, which was about 5.5 miles. That's a pretty decent stretch for them. We stopped at the lake and we pulled lunch out of my trunk/saddle bag. (I'll post a pic separately from my phone; I'm typing this on my computer)

Then, we went another several miles up to a scenic college campus on the lakefront. Took a break, had some water and took in the views.

After that, we turned around and rode back. It wound up being 19.5 miles, which is HUGE for them. My wife left her bike in top gear and PAS 1 and still had probably 60% of the battery left. Daughter had hers in PAS 2 or 3 for most of the ride and had maybe 50% left. I had my PAS off about 90% of the ride, so I only used 10% of my battery. I only turned it on PAS 1 for the uphills.

Wife's crotch is OK; that's the biggest victory.

The teenager had no complaints. She rides a mile each way to school most days and is thin. (5'5, 120 lbs.) It was a good time. This may not seem like much, but my wife is a complainer; always has some sort of discomfort. Daughter is high maintenance (being 17) but doesn't have any physical maladies. She loves the throttle, and that is a good way to ride with two others who have torque sensors. I think she set PAS 2 most of the time, (12 mph) and then just throttled up from there as needed.

Next time, I may leave my eBike home and ride the acoustic bike. Hills will be a bigger challenge, but having 40 fewer pounds to haul around should balance that out.

It was really nice to have the trunk bag with fold-out saddle bags. I wound up carrying my wind breaker, daughter's water, a U-lock, a 14 mm combo wrench for my wife's seat and two flat coolers.

Adding the pic
IMG_4173.jpeg

Funny: I was chatting to my e-bike mate not more than an hour ago about buying a couple of e-bikes for our wives. He told me that the problem with his wife was the crotch.

I had never heard of this problem for women, and now I read this...

interesting... I would like to know if there is enough support to actually pedal. Have anyone tried it or a similar seat??
I had the similar one; exactly the same but with a small crotch piece. It was VERY comfortable to sit on; supportive. However, the back part is so wide that it chafed the back of the thighs while pedaling. I would buy one as pictured above for my wife's cruiser bike. On that bike, the legs are so far forward that I don't think it would chafe, and it's very supportive on the bottom.

For anything with any kind of forward lean, it's a hard pass.

Just re-read the 1st post. Now that I have a 4th eBike on the way, I wonder how it will work out?

I hesitate to let the 17 year old ride the Aventon; she is rather mal-coordinated and it is fast and heavy. I'm about 80% sure she'd drop it. I'd have to lower the seat, which is not as trivial since I replaced the quick release collar with a slow release collar. (city duty)

We shall see...

Back