What are your cold weather ebike limits?

aadesh799

I realize some ride all winter but for those who don’t, what are the temperature/condition limits that signal you are done for the season?
At my age, it appears to be the lower 40F temps with 15+ mph headwinds. I have gloves, long underware, rain gear, under helmet cap, but it’s when my eyes start watering a bunch, nose starts running that makes it cease being fun.
We‘re expecting 40+ mph winds today!

Last edited by a moderator:

Frogslayer

I realize some ride all winter but for those who don’t, what are the temperature/condition limits that signal you are done for the season?
At my age, it appears to be the lower 40F temps with 15+ mph headwinds. I have gloves, long underware, rain gear, under helmet cap, but it’s when my eyes start watering a bunch, nose starts running that makes it cease being fun.
We‘re expecting 40+ mph winds today!
I have the gear to ride a snowmobile up the side of a mountain at 100mph while it's 0 degrees Fahrenheit. What makes me put the ebike in the hangars is when the road stays covered in ice. When this happens i switch out the tires on my gas engine pedal bike to off road knobs with studs. I do notice my battery range is really reduced below 40 degrees but it's still enough for me to ride all over my small town a few times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anton

Admin
Staff member
I have the gear to ride a snowmobile up the side of a mountain at 100mph while it's 0 degrees Fahrenheit. What makes me put the ebike in the hangars is when the road stays covered in ice. When this happens i switch out the tires on my gas engine pedal bike to off road knobs with studs. I do notice my battery range is really reduced below 40 degrees but it's still enough for me to ride all over my small town a few times.
That's right, ebike batteries don't like being cold, it basically lowers their performance. Not exactly sure of the science behind this though.

Anton

Admin
Staff member
Couple of battery tips from a Bosch manual:

Winter use – During winter use (particularly below 32° F (0° C)) we recommend charging and storing the battery at room temperature be-fore inserting the battery in the eBike immediately before riding it. For longer journeys in the cold, it is advisable to use thermal protective covers.

Storage – Temperatures below 14° F (-10° C) and above 140° F (60° C) should be avoided.

Top Bottom