Cold weather riding clothing..what do you wear?

My entire wardrobe is provided by Wal-Mart and Amazon. For winter, it's just layers of cheap athletic apparel, the number of which depend on the temp and a pair of old bluejieans on top with the chain leg strapped. An athletic jacket from a place like Marshals or TJ Maxx if needed, athletic skull cap under the helmet and some winter gloves round it out.

An athletic jacket from a place like Marshals or TJ Maxx if needed, athletic skull cap under the helmet and some winter gloves round it out.
I popped for a nicer close fitting jacket because it was nice and comfy.

I buy from Amazon too, but sizing can be so random sometimes. Fit information is often guesswork. Bough the same size and one is baggy and the other is sausage skin tight.

Ah well, at least they take them back

My entire wardrobe is provided by Wal-Mart and Amazon. For winter, it's just layers of cheap athletic apparel, the number of which depend on the temp and a pair of old bluejieans on top with the chain leg strapped. An athletic jacket from a place like Marshals or TJ Maxx if needed, athletic skull cap under the helmet and some winter gloves round it out.
My entire wardrobe is from Goodwill, & thoroughly broken in at purchase:rolleyes:

Bar mitts add 20 degrees to your comfort.
Where in Colorado? Expat myself from Basalt. Cleared out when the flatlanders seized Aspen & locals
could no longer afford to live in the Roaring Fork Valley, definitely colder than the Olympic Peninsula.
It's become a mono-climate twixt 65 to 45, at least under 1000 ft.

I switch from bike helmet to ski helmet, fingerless bike gloves to either work gloves or ski gloves.

For short rides, just regular pants and for long rides I have cycling tights that go under jeans and/or waterproof pants.

Jacket one season warmer, as I pedal and make some of my own heat. I also bought a long sleeve fleece cycling jersey I could also use as an under layer. (I’m a road cyclist too)

They make neoprene toe covers for shoes to keep the toes warm.

I have ski goggles that go with the ski helmet or Wynd glasses if it’s not TOO cold.

This will take me down into the 20s for shorter rides or 30s a lot longer.

I’m in Wisconsin, by the way.

Wind chill on the face will be the limiting factor.

How cold....me skull cap, tee shirt, long sleeve Carhartt, hoodie, jacket, long johns, bike pants, jeans or Columbia pants and gloves
my wife same thing except she has a heated jacket. Lol
Dress in layers in case you get to warm or need to add more

How cold....me skull cap, tee shirt, long sleeve Carhartt, hoodie, jacket, long johns, bike pants, jeans or Columbia pants and gloves
my wife same thing except she has a heated jacket. Lol
Dress in layers in case you get to warm or need to add more
The trick is when you overdress and need to remove layers, where do you put them? One needs a lot of onboard storage to store more than one removed garment...

Just a hint for winter riding: The colder it is the more it will sap power from your battery. Riding in
a lower gear can mitigate that while the extra pedaling will keep you warmer.
Being cold causes the voltage to drop, which does result in less available power, and below a certain temperature, batteries won't charge effectively. (Lead-acid are the best in low temperatures) Note the comment below the table below.

Source: https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-410-charging-at-high-and-low-temperatures

1698939353645.png

I guess this is why Lead-acid batteries are still used in cars in cold climates instead of Lithium.

I just looked up studded tires for my hybrid bike; (700c x 45) they are quite spendy! I would have to do a lot of snow/ice riding to justify them, and I certainly couldn't justify them for more than one bike:

Going to look up studded tires for my incoming Juiced HyperScrambler 2 eBike and see if more are available, as this is probably a more popular size for eBike tires.

The trick is when you overdress and need to remove layers, where do you put them? One needs a lot of onboard storage to store more than one removed garment...

Being cold causes the voltage to drop, which does result in less available power, and below a certain temperature, batteries won't charge effectively. (Lead-acid are the best in low temperatures) Note the comment below the table below.

Source: https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-410-charging-at-high-and-low-temperatures

View attachment 11687

I guess this is why Lead-acid batteries are still used in cars in cold climates instead of Lithium.

I just looked up studded tires for my hybrid bike; (700c x 45) they are quite spendy! I would have to do a lot of snow/ice riding to justify them, and I certainly couldn't justify them for more than one bike:

Going to look up studded tires for my incoming Juiced HyperScrambler 2 eBike and see if more are available, as this is probably a more popular size for eBike tires.

View attachment 11687

Lith or lead, my bike is more sluggish in the cold. Once was stranded in sub zero & had to build a small fire under
my oil pan to get started.

My tactic to avoid this is to wear a bare minimum of layers. My rule of thumb is I should be freezing my ass off for the first two miles or so of a ride. Once I cross that line, my body heat generated from exertion more than makes up for the cold and I stay comfy without sweating. I've been doing it this way since I was riding an analog road bike in Central California as a yoot, where 0mph temperature while riding next to open fields would be right at freezing, and wind chill from forward progress goes well below that.

Its perfect for most of the ride, but there has to be acceptance of that bitter cold for the first few minutes.

I put a extra storage M-wave Amsterdam Hard box 16.54x10.24x8.27 inches on the back of my bike so I could carry a extra jacket and more in the box while out on a ride. If it gets to cold I stop and put on a jacket, or if I just want to stop for a snack I have it in the box :) Yeah

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back