What drew you to ebikes in the first place? What keeps you riding an ebike?

For me I took a test ride on one in 2020 and the bike shop told me to try the big hill in sunset park Brooklyn. That's it. It's like I heard a symphony!! My life changed after that day. Will never go back to analog,regular, what ever it's called now bike again!! My wife has one, more and more of my friends have or are getting one. Changed all of our 55 year old lives!!!

I hope that this stays on topic.

For me, it was an opportunity for me and my wife to ride together. Ebikes are a great equalizer and by using different assist levels it has allowed us to ride in a more compatible manner. It has also brought back her love for cycling and it provides a satisfying experience for both of us.

We are both retired, so we don’t have a commute and living in rural New hampshire makes a bicycle impractical as a mode of transportation for a good part of the year. Most of our rides are for fitness, sightseeing and just enjoyment.

For a long time I wrongly rejected the idea of electric assisted bicycles, and I still ride my road and my gravel bike, but the ebike and especially riding with my wife has become my preference. My reasons for riding an ebike have evolved, but the the primary reason remains, (quality time with my wife).
I live in SW Florida! From June through October it’s brutally hot! I have been riding a regular 7 speed bike, for exercise, and after I finish my route I’m soaking wet and especially against the winds, as I do not have any hills here.

After 3 years and almost 70 years of age, I wanted pedal assist against head winds and a cool down lap with throttle!

I hope that this stays on topic.

For me, it was an opportunity for me and my wife to ride together. Ebikes are a great equalizer and by using different assist levels it has allowed us to ride in a more compatible manner. It has also brought back her love for cycling and it provides a satisfying experience for both of us.

We are both retired, so we don’t have a commute and living in rural New hampshire makes a bicycle impractical as a mode of transportation for a good part of the year. Most of our rides are for fitness, sightseeing and just enjoyment.

For a long time I wrongly rejected the idea of electric assisted bicycles, and I still ride my road and my gravel bike, but the ebike and especially riding with my wife has become my preference. My reasons for riding an ebike have evolved, but the the primary reason remains, (quality time with my wife).
My reason to get into E-Bikes, was due to a heart condition. I used to ride century rides/races when I was young. I loved the feeling of bicycling . E-BIKES gave me the opportunity to bicycle again.

Well for me I had bikes when I was younger but my size became an issue on most normal bikes, and I still dont have a license due to my blindness in one eye. I bought a himiway zebra and im working on my first hundred miles on it and im extremely happy with it.
Keep it going. The more that you ride, the more you are able to ride.

Hi all, first post. A few heart failures from rheumatic inflammation and a bung knee pushed me onto an ebike a few months ago. I used to do a lot of long distance touring and camping on an xc bike up until 2016 and spenty whole childhood and teenage years racing BMX and dh bikes.

To put it short I was left with a paranoia and fear of over exterion after a couple of bag heart failures in my late 20s and early 30s. I tried to get back on the gravel bike last year after a bout of myocarditis and surgery on my left radial styloid tendon and was quickly greeted with a lack of fitness after being bed bound and was ready to give up cycling for good.

I built an ebike a few months ago and it has helped me cover large distance while weening myself back into shape without the fear of pushing myself too hard and having a heart attack.

I'll have to update on what keeps me riding an ebike as it's only been three months and 1900km so far.

one further reason for me is given by a picture I took yesterday, while riding in a very remote coastal area of the island.

1692607204885.png

Hi all, first post. A few heart failures from rheumatic inflammation and a bung knee pushed me onto an ebike a few months ago. I used to do a lot of long distance touring and camping on an xc bike up until 2016 and spenty whole childhood and teenage years racing BMX and dh bikes.

To put it short I was left with a paranoia and fear of over exterion after a couple of bag heart failures in my late 20s and early 30s. I tried to get back on the gravel bike last year after a bout of myocarditis and surgery on my left radial styloid tendon and was quickly greeted with a lack of fitness after being bed bound and was ready to give up cycling for good.

I built an ebike a few months ago and it has helped me cover large distance while weening myself back into shape without the fear of pushing myself too hard and having a heart attack.

I'll have to update on what keeps me riding an ebike as it's only been three months and 1900km so far.
Best of luck with your journey back. Sometimes life throws you a curve.

well I got extremely unlucky 20 miles from home... my inner tube popped, thankfully got a ride home from family... but gotta re-tube my tire stuff comes in tomorrow thankfully.
I'll never leave home without two spare tubes, some brake pads, a spare chain, cabling, spoke or three and few basic tools as I get real sour when s**t goes south.

Been caught out too many times. I used to worry about excess weight when mountain biking, but the extra oomph of the ebike always makes it easier to have basic necessities.

I remember riding 67km to the top of the range looking forward to bombing down a fire road with 700m elevation loss over 3.5km. Popped a leam right at the top of the hill and noticed just as I was about to head down.

Never again.

I use them for everything. I got a 2.0 Wallke years ago to walk the dogs on nature trails. It worked great but took some practice because sometimes I have to put the dogs on leash. I have to hold two dogs on a leash with one hand and operate the bike with the other. I had to take the PAS off so that an inadvertent pedal movement didn't cause a crash. Then I got a 1500-watt mid-drive to use on the farm and pull a dog trailer. I have a small 27-acre farm, but it's laid out so that the irrigation, barn and shop are a long way from the house. I have 4-wheelers (new Honda Rubicon, BEAST!), but they use a lot of gas and sometimes I run around late at night and don't want to wake the neighbors.

At 85 with two metal knees and two metal hips, the hills and wind were becoming a problem rather than fun.

Bought an ebike so that I can keep riding for another 5 years. (Or more?).

I enjoy the outdoors and fresh air and ride daily for about 35 minutes.

I've been riding bikes since the age of four. I liked the freedom it gave me. I Bought my first new bike at age twelve, for my paper routes. I liked bicycles so much, that I owned a bicycle shop. Slow wasn't for me. 17 to 19 mph was my average speed. I had my first heart attack in my late seventies. When I reached the age of 80, riding at those speeds sent me to the hospital several times. My doctors suggested I buy an electric bike so I bought a bunch of parts and built one. However, at 84, I still would rather ride my lightweight Cannondale.

I don't have an ebike yet but I am shopping for a mid drive kit to convert my mtn bike. I retired in 2020 and have lots of time to do more biking. I just don't have the legs to bike all day unassisted. I have a dual sport Suzuki but I enjoy bike riding more.

Back