To those asking why their Himiway Zebras don't throttle beyond 6mph..........

trevsimms

Local time
1:53 PM
I received my Himiway Zebra 3 months ago and apart from the weight (wow!) its a great bike but I found 2 problems, not major, but a little niggling - first, the chain will come off when the bike is a high speed - I've found this may be my fault as I'm getting used to gear placement and pedal assistance, but the main problem is that the throttle does not work beyond walking speed.
I contacted Himiway about it and they have replied today saying that due to EU regulations, they can only allow a 6mph throttle - yet I've seen several youtube videos showing these bikes being throttled beyong 6mph - can mine be altered?
Anyway, as they feel I may have misread the information prior to purchase, they sent me a free triangle bag - great!!

You should provide the information what Controller you have , any manufacturer /model name on your display?

The limit isnt 6 MPH its 6KPH , this is called PUSH ASSIST and thats legal in EU, also there is START ASSIST (which gives you a little push
to get going at a stop light) which is handled by a throttle and is also legal to have . Problem with the throttle in general depends
on your local cops being jerks and assuming manipulation if you have a throttle on your bike. Explaining to them that it only looks like
a throttle but is not used as such or even deactivated is often unjustly ignored.

On my Controller for the ENGINE X i can change just about everything including throttle on off , cruise control etc. and the push assist
is done on the assist shift "-" button by holding it down for a few sec.

I've been thinking about buying this bike and was wondering the same thing. Have you tried the below which apparetly increases the pedal assist up to 25mph. I'm wondering if that also increases the throttle limit or if there are any other options in the menus once you;re in that will enable you to do so?

Press “+”, “-” and “i” at the same time for 2 seconds. Then the display will be changed.
Press “-” and “i” at the same time for 2 seconds. Then the display will be changed again.
Enter the password 0510.
Press “i” to confirm your password. Then the display will be changed.
Press “i” again. Release the button until the display entered the speed setting page.
Press “+” or “-” to adjust your speed.
Switch the speed unit from mph to km/h.
Press “i” to confirm your setting.

The limit isnt 6 MPH its 6KPH , this is called PUSH ASSIST and thats legal in EU
Actually many ebike controllers are unsophisticated enough that all they understand is '6'. So if you change from metric to Imperialist units, your 6 km/h "walking throttle" becomes a 6 mph jogging throttle. I've still got bikes that do this.

Generally what you see is a walking throttle is accessed via the controller's PAS panel on the handlebars. Hold the Down PAS button for longer than I think 5 seconds and walking throttle will engage. There is also a limit on how long it will engage, so if somehow you are happy traveling at '6' ... don't get used to it because it will shut off as part of the regulation within a minute or so.

I received my Himiway Zebra 3 months ago and apart from the weight (wow!) its a great bike but I found 2 problems, not major, but a little niggling - first, the chain will come off when the bike is a high speed - I've found this may be my fault as I'm getting used to gear placement and pedal assistance, but the main problem is that the throttle does not work beyond walking speed.
I contacted Himiway about it and they have replied today saying that due to EU regulations, they can only allow a 6mph throttle - yet I've seen several youtube videos showing these bikes being throttled beyong 6mph - can mine be altered?
Anyway, as they feel I may have misread the information prior to purchase, they sent me a free triangle bag - great!!
"High speeds": Perhaps it is having the index shifter at top gear where the chain is most slack? Mine has come off the front sprocket a couple of times and I tend to avoid 7th gear at speed over bumps or swerves where chain slap is maximum.

Back