throttle power on/off up to 5 mph

Russ1950

Local time
10:57 AM
I have the Himiway Zebra. Works fine when starting the bike by pedaling; throttle works fine when speed > 5mph. When I use the throttle to start the bike from full stop the motor goes on and off up to about 5 mph and then motor and throttle works fine.

Here is a video of the problem.

I have replaced the throttle and the controller. I am about to replace the motor. All under warranty.

Seems to me the motor is not receiving constant power and this is not a function of the motor itself. I'm not technical, so was wondering if anyone who understands how these things work can see this as a motor problem.

That is bizarre.

Never heard one sound like that, but the 5 thin Hall sensor wires to the motor, if damaged or a sensor bad inside the motor, will cause rough running problems from a slow or standing start until some speed is reached.

I have the Himiway Zebra. Works fine when starting the bike by pedaling; throttle works fine when speed > 5mph. When I use the throttle to start the bike from full stop the motor goes on and off up to about 5 mph and then motor and throttle works fine.

Here is a video of the problem.

I have replaced the throttle and the controller. I am about to replace the motor. All under warranty.

Seems to me the motor is not receiving constant power and this is not a function of the motor itself. I'm not technical, so was wondering if anyone who understands how these things work can see this as a motor problem.
I do not have the Zebra. I have the Cruiser and that is not normal. Have you changed any settings? Perhaps resetting the defaults would give you insight. On my Himiway, this is accessed by holding both the + and the i buttons for 2 seconds. We then see def-n which can be toggled using + & - to def-y. Hold the I button for 2 seconds to recover the defaults. You have probably already tried this but...

Interesting problem for sure...hmmm.

Motors draw the most current from standstill. Perhaps the battery management system (a PCB inside the battery case) is interrupting current delivery that is exceeding it's limit?

Are you using the throttle to start? What if you use just a little throttle? Does this also happen with pedal assist?

Strange.

Back