Tires & Tubes Street Tires For A City Ebike

Here’s a post I had in another forum. I love these on my 20” fat tire modded Juiced RipRacers. No issues at all. I have run these as low as 12psi with a 200lb rider.
It is unfortunate that they don’t do them for 26” fat rims or I’d have them on my other e-bikes also.

“Just ordered 2 sets of these Specialized Careless Whisper tires for my new RRs. Best deal I could find was from Bicycle Warehouse. Use discount code WELCOME15 for 15% off. Free shipping for orders over $99 and no tax. Price came out to $34 per tire. Haven’t seen many reviews but I think they will be good. They have to be heavy duty since they are oem on a cargo bike.
BTW these tires are UNI-DIRECTIONAL tires. There is a rotation arrow on the sidewall. I have no idea why since the tread is identical in both directions. Saw it after I installed them. I’ll be darned if I’m going to RR them to get it right. They are staying the way they are.”
View attachment 12215
Them being directional probably has to do with the cord direction, rather than tread direction.

Like Chaoyang, Innova makes tires for a lot of companies that private-label them. For example the Surly Edna - a fantastic fat tire - is made by Innova. Its top quality and wears like iron. They may make all of Surly's tires but I have only owned the Edna and it has 'Made by Innova' molded in small letters on the sidewall.

Those tanwalls look like an excellent street tread. I'm not a fan of 26x4.0" though as I think it gives a bike a pretend-motorcycle look. Not fat enough to look fat but fat enough so you get the bad things about a fat tire. I tried out a set at that size and never again once they wore out.

That Carless Whisper tire looks phenomenal as street tread goes. Flat spot where there's pavement contact and knobs to grip in cornering. We get sand drifts here across the bike paths and knobs on the side are essential to avoid faceplants going thru them.

We are fortunate that in the eBike space eBike Tire Manufacturers have come a long way over the past 4yrs to develop better manufacturing technoligies - putting No-Flat's aside for the mopment - much lower/better TPI side casings - more "clinchers/wire-bead options to folding bead - and much higher PSI for "street"-smooth/packed/surface. It also has helped the consumert that same Manufacturer's now have developed OEMtire brand business to guys like Sunlite, etc. OEM tire brands buy in higher volume at lower cost - and in turn their wider retail base opens up for competitive or even more agreesive retail pricing.

Back