Tires & Tubes Winter tire questions

Well 2x4's are pretty strong. I know for a fact 3 2x4's screwed together will hold a full dressed 454 chevy engine & a turbo 400 transmission.

I would think a single 2x4 would hold a 100+ pound ebike fairly easy. Maybe I'm wrong thou.

Well 2x4's are pretty strong. I know for a fact 3 2x4's screwed together will hold a full dressed 454 chevy engine & a turbo 400 transmission.

I would think a single 2x4 would hold a 100+ pound ebike fairly easy. Maybe I'm wrong thou.
Yes, especially turned edge-wise.
...but it depends on the span. A 2x4 going all the way across a garage ceiling will have a ton of sag, compared to a shorter length.

That big block chevy engine & turbo 400 transmission was hanging on a 20 foot span of 2x4's across my shop. Just make sure none of the 2x4's you use, dont have any knots leading to the edge of the 2x4. I still prefer to flip my bike on its lid, but that's a lot of work to do, plus my back isn't liking me picking the bike up.

I've also considered trying these handle bar jack stands, so I dont have to remove handle bar controls everytime i wanted to flip the bike over.

These look handy!
Screenshot_20231110-105243_Chrome.jpg

I'm having a hard time imagining how that would work. I'm not sure what you mean by "wideloaders"

These things. The Surly Big Dummy, Big Easy and Big Fat Dummy all have frame fittings that either allow you to attach a manufactured / sold support structure, or you build your own as I did. The point of them is the big bags you put on the back use this to help hold up the stuff you put inside.
PXL_20220826_184739431.jpg
img_20200827_084054-1[1].jpg

So picture a Park bike stand on the forward portion of the top tube, holding up the front of the bike only, with the back portion still on the ground. Then take two RV jack stands and put one each under the far right and left side of the rear wideloader crossbar. You have a 3-point stand and the bike is about 2 1/2 feet up in the air.

I'm thinking maybe build some kind of wooden A-frame stand for the garage? Kind of like those tripod rigs they use to support pots while cooking out in nature, but bigger. Maybe a foldable bipod, and brace it against the wall? :unsure:
If your bike is 120 lbs... I bet its a whole lot less if you take the battery out of the thing. Thats Step 1, right? If you're down 20+ lbs once you do that, you can use a stand like this that is rated for 110:

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back