Riding on ice

hugh

Local time
5:49 AM
I had recently refurbished and old mtn bike. Put a BBS02 mid drive on it and found a used set of Schwalbe ice spiker tires 26 by 2'1". I live about 100 miles north of Grand Forks N. Dak. and we have been experiencing a heat wave. Much of our snow cover has melted due to over a week of above freezing temps. The sidewalks are pretty much ice covered skating rinks and most people who are out walking ( usually dog walkers) take the road.

Now I realize riding on the sidewalk is considered a no-no but it is so cool to be able to ride safely away from cars and trucks and not once slip on the ice which is often covered in water as well making it even more slippery for walkers. Having said that I go fairly slow and if I do see a walker, either stop and pull over or take the road for a bit. It helps that I'm 71, retired and usually not in any hurry. The studded tires are amazing.

Having said that I go fairly slow and if I do see a walker, either stop and pull over or take the road for a bit. It helps that I'm 71, retired and usually not in any hurry. The studded tires are amazing.
:love:

Yes the Ice spiker pro tires are great, I have them on both of our e-mountain bikes. I just wish they were a bit wider our bikes will fit a 2.35" tire and it would be better for softer packed snow conditions to have a bit more tire than the 2.1". On hard packed and icy conditions though they are amazing.

I have just finished putting together a fat tire snow e-bike, and that's pretty much all I have been riding since. It has 4.6" wide 26" 45NRTH tires on it, they aren't studded but they have a soft rubber compound and they are really great in the snow and pretty good on ice. It's not usually all that icy here, it snows often enough so that it is mostly some condition of soft to hard packed snow that I'm riding on.

We don't see that ice here in our area....thank goodness. Personally....I wouldn't ride on ice....even with those tires.....that's just me. The only ice I want to see is in a glass with some whiskey!

munirider I'm running 4.8" 45 north tires on my fat bike. Flowbiest on front, Dunderbiest on rear. And like your fat bike tires they are great on compacted and passable on icy sections.

munirider I'm running 4.8" 45 north tires on my fat bike. Flowbiest on front, Dunderbiest on rear. And like your fat bike tires they are great on compacted and passable on icy sections.

Yeah that's what I have as well except 4.6" they are working great but I will probably get 4.8s next time around but I expect that will be a while since I will only be riding these for snowy conditions. I have a second 27.5 wheelset with Maxxis Minnion 3.8" tires for dry conditions.

Attachments

• IMG_1597 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1597 - Copy.JPG
    346.6 KB · Views: 24
Got a Norco Bigfoot VLT EFatbike this fall - 3 years of climbing(lots of climbing here) winter trails in Kimberley BC with a regular Bigfoot were enough. After a half dozen VLT rides with no studs, and a couple of slip-falls on icy trails due to the warm winter and lack of consistent snowfalls, got a set of studs. Game changer. I’m 73, fit, active and can now navigate the sketchy spots safely with confidence. Highly recommend ‘em.

I had recently refurbished and old mtn bike. Put a BBS02 mid drive on it and found a used set of Schwalbe ice spiker tires 26 by 2'1". I live about 100 miles north of Grand Forks N. Dak. and we have been experiencing a heat wave. Much of our snow cover has melted due to over a week of above freezing temps. The sidewalks are pretty much ice covered skating rinks and most people who are out walking ( usually dog walkers) take the road.

Now I realize riding on the sidewalk is considered a no-no but it is so cool to be able to ride safely away from cars and trucks and not once slip on the ice which is often covered in water as well making it even more slippery for walkers. Having said that I go fairly slow and if I do see a walker, either stop and pull over or take the road for a bit. It helps that I'm 71, retired and usually not in any hurry. The studded tires are amazing.
Riding on ice? Don't, unless ya want to spend a bunch on studded tires.

Got a Norco Bigfoot VLT EFatbike this fall - 3 years of climbing(lots of climbing here) winter trails in Kimberley BC with a regular Bigfoot were enough. After a half dozen VLT rides with no studs, and a couple of slip-falls on icy trails due to the warm winter and lack of consistent snowfalls, got a set of studs. Game changer. I’m 73, fit, active and can now navigate the sketchy spots safely with confidence. Highly recommend ‘em.
What studded fatties are you running?

I didn’t do any research, just went with one of our local bike shops recommendation - both shops here are excellent. I have TERRENE CAKE EATER Standard 27.5 x 4.5.’s. I could have installed studs on my other tires as they only had about a dozen rides all on snow (and ice) - online info indicates factory studs are slightly better.

Thanks, they look interesting.

It's going to take me a while to get used to bicycle tires costing as much as tires for my Subabru. :eek:

One of my brothers lives in Kimberly, first name Keith. He rides a mtn bike and I,m slowly working on him to put a kit on it.

Back