Proof of ownership

Dunlop

Local time
6:21 PM
Hello fellow e-bikers my question is when you purchased your bike for a dealer or company new did you get a receipt with the bikes serial number on it connecting your name to the bike ?
Thanks

My wife and I did. The Yamaha dealers treat it pretty much like a motor vehicle sale. I can’t speak for other brands. My non-electric bikes always included the serial number on the paperwork as well.

Only once since ... 2015? About 10 bikes or frames, total. And that includes some pretty premium-priced frames and two complete bicycles (non electric), one from a manufacturer (Guerilla Gravity in Colorado) and another from a local bike shop in New England selling a very pricey bike (Surly Big Fat Dummy) over the internet. I have had to crawl around and find the SN on every frame I have reported to my insurance company.

With that said, the GG bike was a fully custom order, so the receipt I had for it would have been easily verifiable. Same frankly for all the other receipts I had, and I got one for every purchase. The serial number would be nice but not a requirement for verification with the police if a dispute arose. Maybe your insurance company would feel different but mine settled for just a picture of the bottom bracket with the SN on it, coupled to the receipt.

Our shop does it. We do it electronically (email receipt) and also it is done on the paperwork that is given to the customer plus the shop has a copy.

Hello fellow e-bikers my question is when you purchased your bike for a dealer or company new did you get a receipt with the bikes serial number on it connecting your name to the bike ?
Thanks
I bought my carrera subway e from Halfords, the only details on the receit was the make & model. The handbook had a space to write down the frame number but this was blank also. I wrote the frame number down along with photos of the bike stored on my phone, camera & laptop.

Back