Litelok X1 -and- Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit 1415 Chain Combo ---> DISAPPOINTED!

Local time
3:44 AM
OMFG!
Got my Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit 1415 Chain last week, and got my Litelok X1 D-Lock Today, I should be Thrilled, but I'm a little Disappointed.
Let me explain, or as Ricky Ricardo would say, "Splain Lucy, Splain"

First off, even though the Kryptonite chain is 5 Feet Long, It's NOT long enough to go through the Front tire, both Forks and reach the Seat Post, like I was hoping. I can go through the front tire, one Fork and the Down Tube, but it won't reach the seat tube.
See Below.

Kryptonite.jpg

And, I was hoping I could ALSO put the Litelok through the first and last links of the chain, but the litelok barely passes through the links and the chain is not long enough anyway.
See Below.

Litelok Cryptonite.jpg

Now as far as the Litelok X1 goes, I was surprised at how smallish it seams, especially in reference to my 3x20 tires. I wanted the Litelok to go through the rear tire to the seat post and link into the Kryptonite chain, but the chain is too short and the Litelock inside dimension is too narrow to go around a 3" tire. Argh!

So the Litelok can Only go through the Frame and Rear Tire in these two places. The Position on the Left is less exposed and much harder to get at with an angle grinder.

Litelok Rear.jpg

Any other configuration I've tried doesn't work.

The thing that gets me is that my bike is NOT that big, in fact it's classified as a "Compact Utility" bike. It's bigger than a folding bike, but not as big as a Beach Cruiser for example.

Thus, the only "Real" combination I can come up with for these two locks is below. The chain would go around the Bike Rack.

Best Combination.jpg

If anyone else has any suggestions on how I can BEST incorporate these two locks together I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Senior_Cruiser

Two independent locks are a feature, not a bug. To steal your bike the thief has to defeat two locks rather than just one.

But the Kryptonite chain is not best-in-class. It is only 5 feet long and weighs 15.25 lbs. Something like a 13mm Pragmasis long link chain in 2-meter length is astronomical in size but weighs the same as the Kryptonite chain that is only 5 feet long. The reason is the long links. Longer links mean less steel making fewer closing portions of the links. Plus, long links can be interlocked so you can put an end link into another link and then put your lock on the remainder that is sticking out. Not going to happen with an Abus or Kryptonite chain.

I personally use a Pragmasis 11mm noose chain in a 2-meter length. 2 meters of that stuff is less than 10 lbs and its better chain, more convenient thanks to the noose.

You can have your cake and ear it two, why not combine two chains from two different locks that should do it. Heck it’s only another 30 pounds you’ll be carrying but what’s a little weight, right? Have fun out there and stay away from the bad guys.

You can have your cake and ear it two, why not combine two chains from two different locks that should do it. Heck it’s only another 30 pounds you’ll be carrying but what’s a little weight, right? Have fun out there and stay away from the bad guys.
For me the weight is meaningless as I have an ebike, and its made specifically to carry things far bigger/heavier than a measly chain and two u-locks.

20230513_140945[1].jpg

Also I put up a review on the Litelok X3 a couple days ago and one of the things I pointed out with it is its a poor choice to try and lock your bike TO something. Where it shines is in disabling your bike so it can't be rolled away. You use your second lock to secure the bike to a solid object.

When you get serious about locking bikes that have a job up as a daily routine, as opposed to a recreational bike, multi-layer locking schemes are pretty much the rule and not the exception.

Senior Cruiser, I feel like you're going a bit overboard and m@ is stoking the fire. ;) M@ is off the chain when it comes to locking, as his bikes all weigh > 100 lbs and he's got thousands of dollars into them.

In time, I think you'll find yourself leaving the chain at home and just locking the frame of the bike to something with the U lock. It's a ridiculous amount of extra weight & bulk to carry around all the time. ...or were you just planning to use the whole outfit for locking in a public storage area at your building?

Replace the quick-release hardware for your seat with a regular nut and bolt collar; your local bike shop can help with that.

One last thing: be careful not to scratch your paint with the exposed part of the chain as you show in the first pic. You want the fabric jacket of the chain to rest against the bike.

I'm taking the multi-layered approach with 2 different lock/chain, both Diamond rated. 2 different alarms which I still have to get. Insurance through Velosurance and a tracking device (I'm still researching models).

Ya have to remember that when I retire in 15 months, I'm getting rid of my car. This e-bike will be my "Car", so I'm not taking any chances.

I'm taking the multi-layered approach with 2 different lock/chain, both Diamond rated. 2 different alarms which I still have to get. Insurance through Velosurance and a tracking device (I'm still researching models).

Ya have to remember that when I retire in 15 months, I'm getting rid of my car. This e-bike will be my "Car", so I'm not taking any chances.
Disc brake lock/alarm i use 2 of them with a cable lock and a chain lock.

Carry on! :)

Thats the whole 'bike with a job' mentality talking there. Something that is crazy-overboard for a recreational rider makes a whole lot more sense when you have to depend on the bike every day to perform basic transportation.

I used a disc brake lock for quick runs inside when I am always able to see the bike and distance is short. I replaced it with the X3 because the X3 is so convenient to use its dumb to have it and not use it. Plus its no more time to use it. Either the disc brake lock or the X3 take less than 15 seconds to deploy. And in terms of effectiveness, the X3 may as well be a rottweiler that skipped breakfast.

Insurance through Velosurance
Thats what I have as well. For coverage to apply, you have to lock the bike to a stationary object (there's no specifics on what kind of lock like there is on some policies). So to prove I had the bike locked in case the worst happens, I snap a pic before I walk away. This one was yesterday at the bank. I think when I park here I can probably noose the chain around the frame, which is a little faster and gets the chain off the ground. Also if I wasn't just dropping off a deposit and being inside for 3-5 minutes, I'd flip that U on the left around so it could hook onto the tire.

20231219_121038.jpg

Its only the second or third time I have had the X3 in the mix so I've got a little polishing of technique to do on my regular stops.

M@ is off the chain when it comes to locking, as his bikes all weigh > 100 lbs and he's got thousands of dollars into them.
Actually I put the white Bullitt on a diet with a carbon fiber steering tube, a wheel that weighs half what my other back wheel on the green one does, much lighter handlebars, an ultra light floor and box walls. All that stuff adds up. Take away my tool bags and water bottles and I'm at around 80 lbs. They are usually 50 unpowered but with stock floor/box.

But the 'thousands' part is accurate. 500 bucks in locks that get used every day is not out of line considering the literal months of work it took to research, acquire the parts and then build that bike. I have it fully insured but the absolute last thing I want to do is collect a settlement, even if it is insured for full value.

Back