Does it worth?

faulxthriftber96508

Local time
4:43 PM
Will buying an ebike bring more fun to my family?
Because I want an ebike that I can travel with my kids. The feeling is definitely different from driving a car with a child. In terms of power, I hope the ebike can get me through the uphills without my help and go at a good speed. If I have to offer a little help, hopefully it won't make me tired. As for the standard light on the front of the bike, it needs to be bright enough for cars to see me, otherwise it would be dangerous if I was in a very dark area.
Of course my next concern is its safety. Do I need to buy a lock big enough to fit through both the rear wheel and the bike rack?

Welcome @faulxthriftber96508 !

IMHO it all depends on your physical condition and the age of your children.

I used my bike for commuting all my life. And I have never locked my bike only by the frame and/or front wheel. In any case, I never let it out of my sight for more than 5-10 minutes.

In the past, I used to take my bike into the office with me (4th floor in UK!). Now, with the ebike that is much heavier, I have an office on the ground floor, so I can do the same, but I would never dare to regularly leave it locked outside.

I never got a bike stolen, although living in many countries and places where it was extremely common.

Welcome @faulxthriftber96508 !

IMHO it all depends on your physical condition and the age of your children.

I used my bike for commuting all my life. And I have never locked my bike only by the frame and/or front wheel. In any case, I never let it out of my sight for more than 5-10 minutes.

In the past, I used to take my bike into the office with me (4th floor in UK!). Now, with the ebike that is much heavier, I have an office on the ground floor, so I can do the same, but I would never dare to regularly leave it locked outside.

I never got a bike stolen, although living in many countries and places where it was extremely common.
The best way to prevent theft is indeed to keep the bike out of your sight. But in case there are some special circumstances that prevent me from noticing my bike, I'm still looking for some solid anti-theft advice. But there doesn't seem to be any bike that comes with an anti-theft system.

Someone posted a supersafe (... and superexpensive) locker that apparently is incredibly good at preventing thief. I will try to find it later...

Moreover, I suggest you to hide an airtag (if you own an Iphone) or equivalent device on the bike (under the seat for example). Maybe two of them so they find the first and don't look for the second.

And insure it, of course...

Here nobody steal bikes AFAIK. I saw carbon-fiber, super-expensive bicycle left unattended out of a coffee bar. But I became paranoid in other places and cannot change my mind about that.

Someone posted a supersafe (... and superexpensive) locker that apparently is incredibly good at preventing thief. I will try to find it later...

Moreover, I suggest you to hide an airtag (if you own an Iphone) or equivalent device on the bike (under the seat for example). Maybe two of them so they find the first and don't look for the second.

And insure it, of course...

Here nobody steal bikes AFAIK. I saw carbon-fiber, super-expensive bicycle left unattended out of a coffee bar. But I became paranoid in other places and cannot change my mind about that.
There may be places that are safe where you can store your bike without fear. But there are places where you will be very afraid of theft.
Carbon-fiber are really, really cool, and at one time I wanted one!

Because I want an ebike that I can travel with my kids. The feeling is definitely different from driving a car with a child. In terms of power, I hope the ebike can get me through the uphills without my help and go at a good speed. If I have to offer a little help, hopefully it won't make me tired. As for the standard light on the front of the bike, it needs to be bright enough for cars to see me, otherwise it would be dangerous if I was in a very dark area.
Of course my next concern is its safety. Do I need to buy a lock big enough to fit through both the rear wheel and the bike rack?
I have a Keteles k800 ebike. This ebike is 2000 watts. 2 Motors. It has a 20ah battery. I live in the mountains and I can go up mountains no problem.
The bike cost $1400 on ebay. Came From California.

Hope this helps! :)

Of course my next concern is its safety. Do I need to buy a lock big enough to fit through both the rear wheel and the bike

Your best is a mid drive if you've got a lot of hills to contend with. A cargo bike would be your best bet, as there's plenty of room for your kids & space for extra batteries. Depending on your budget, I'd suggest a minium of 48v, 52v will give you more torque & range. Hub motors are easier to maintain, often covering 10,000 miles or more without any issues, a hub drive is also easier on the drive chain components. A mid drive is harder on the drive chain as it delivers power to the back wheel through the chainset. A GPS tracker is isn't expensive & will fit any bike, a decent lock/s is a must. A D lock through the frame, secured to a lamppost etc & a heavy duty cable through both wheels. I personally use an alarmed oxford disc lock with my 150cm kyptonite chain & an Abus D lock to secure my fat bike. Gold standard security is a must when taking out insurance on your ebike as I've seen articles in the local press where an elderly gentleman bought a £5,000 ebike & locked it up with a cheapo lock, had it stolen & was only paid out £1,000. You can either wire in lights to the battery, rechargeable ones, light sets that come with separate lithium batteries (£400-500) & god aren't they bright, you'd think a ufo had landed

That may depends on your choice of bike, but e-bikes are can be wonderful, healthy outdoor activity. There is a need
to ride safely & vigilant of danger. My current bike cost less than 1/2 my 1st one & is a much better bike still getting
better at 7000+ miles.(Maybe it's just the weight I've lost) Having the skills & tools to properly maintain your bike
is a big plus. For that there are loads of tutorials on Utube. Research bikes & specs carefully before buying one that
best serves your needs. A 1st bike need not be an expensive, high-end bike. You're gonna make mistakes learning
the ropes. My current bike is a solid, durable 80s mtn bike 1st that just happens to have a very good motor. It has
common place, inexpensive parts easy to come by instead of model specific parts you can wait a month or more to get

Back