Newbie ebike Question

wcmgto

Local time
6:41 AM
I'm totally new to ebikes and debating on purchasing one or going with the DIY Bafang mid-drive 750w kit and I'm hoping for some opinions from those with more experience.

About me:
My family (me, wife, small child) purchased new Trek Verve 2 regular bicycles a couple years ago without really having much bike riding experience. We've found that we really enjoy it, but we live in a hilly area (western NYS) and 90+ percent of the riding is on anything from flat gravel paths to double track rocky dirt paths that could be considered light trails. In addition to this, we now pull a child trailer for our kid. While we really like the Verve 2, they clearly aren't the best choice the type of terrain we're riding most of the time. Although they do get the job done. This, in addition to the amount of hills we encounter and the need to pull a trailer has us considering ebikes.

I've been eyeing the Aventon Adventure.2 as I think it has enough power to work on our hills and the fat tires should be beneficial on the terrain we're riding giving us better comfort than the Verve. However, our Verves are only a couple of years old and we do like them a lot so I'm also considering the option of using the Bafang mid-drive conversion kit on them.

Does anyone have experience with either of these options? Is the Aventon a good bike? Is it as comfortable as the Verve? Good range and hill climbing power? What are the benefits drawbacks to converting our existing bikes?

I would sell (or keep) the Treks and go for the Aventon or similar I don't have direct experience with Aveton but I've heard nothing but good about them.

I also don't know the Verve, but if it has more than 9 speeds or a front deraileur or any number of other complications, your conversion costs will stack up fast.
IOW, not every bike is suitable for conversion, especially to a mid drive.

If you're new to ebiking, I'd think it would be best to go with a turnkey bike, esp if you're wanting a mid drive that puts unknown forces to a drivetrain not designed for it. Don't expect the same Verve you love now after a conversion.

Depending on your budget, you might want to look at a mid drive bike that's run off a Gates belt system instead of a chain. They're stronger, quieter, cleaner, more reliable and take way less maintenance than a chain/sprocket.

As for comfort, you're going to want to change the seat right off cuz no ebike mfg uses a comfy seat as standard.. If it has no rear suspension, you're going to want a good suspension seatpost as well.

By the time you buy a battery or two, you'll have well over a grand or two in a conversion. Might as weĺl test ride other ebikes, rent some perhaps. Better to go with a proven design than to spend a grand mucking up a perfectly good Verve.

Back