How important is disk brakes vs v-brakes/caliper brakes

AdrianKe

Local time
12:26 PM
I am busy shopping for a used bike for a mid-drive build. It will be used by my wife and will pull a trailer for our 2 kids, 3rd on the way. We have one steep hill where we live and fairly flat terrain mostly (Netherlands) with bike paths.

I am struggling to find a bike that ticks all the boxes (BB, bottle mounts, step-through, rack mounts, relaxed posture and disk brakes) within our budget.

Currently I have candidates that has the correct BB, bottle mounts, relaxed posture and step-through but not disk brakes, it the disk brakes considered a non-negotiable in wet weather with a loaded trailer?

I am busy shopping for a used bike for a mid-drive build. It will be used by my wife and will pull a trailer for our 2 kids, 3rd on the way. We have one steep hill where we live and fairly flat terrain mostly (Netherlands) with bike paths.

I am struggling to find a bike that ticks all the boxes (BB, bottle mounts, step-through, rack mounts, relaxed posture and disk brakes) within our budget.

Currently I have candidates that has the correct BB, bottle mounts, relaxed posture and step-through but not disk brakes, it the disk brakes considered a non-negotiable in wet weather with a loaded trailer?
I myself would want disc brakes if I was toting a trailer around. The stopping power is superior with the disc brakes over other setups.

if you like certain bike, upgrade to hydraulic disc..cost ain't that much..upgrade to tubeless if possible..
talk actual kits ::: assume your demands are high..
buy cyc pro gen 3 period..
top of the line everyone knows it..
zero disappointments..

if you like certain bike, upgrade to hydraulic disc..cost ain't that much..upgrade to tubeless if possible..
talk actual kits ::: assume your demands are high..
buy cyc pro gen 3 period..
top of the line everyone knows it..
zero disappointments..
I have to disagree, if you start with rim brakes to convert to disc brakes is a major expense. You would need to change wheels to those that have mounts for disc rotors, use adapters to allow mounting the brake calipers at the very least. Also when deciding what brakes to use you need to know the total weight, including all riders or passengers plus trailer and bike weights.

I have to disagree, if you start with rim brakes to convert to disc brakes is a major expense. You would need to change wheels to those that have mounts for disc rotors, use adapters to allow mounting the brake calipers at the very least. Also when deciding what brakes to use you need to know the total weight, including all riders or passengers plus trailer and bike weights.
whatrr, it's not a big deal to me if I like the bike, plus still cheaper than new bike..
as far as those other scarey things, you don't need math..this ain't nasa..lol
get the best you can, don't sweat the rest..
or don't

Rather depends on several factors. Disc brakes definitely have greater stopping power. Rim brakes or OK too (after all, that's all we had before discs) especially in flatter country, lower speeds, etc. Disc brakes are still better though from the point of view of longevity and spares availability. One way to handle this is to retain the rim brake on the back wheel and get a new fork with disc brake mounting points on the front. You can still retain the cable-operated controls as well, by using a cable-operated, hydraulic front disc setup -
see:- https://www.bikeforceclarkson.com.au/trp-cable-actuated-hydraulic-flat-mount-disc-calip.html
I have these and they work well - the stopping power of discs and the better feel of cable-operation.

Back