Chain replacement and shifting question

Battery Powered

Local time
2:24 AM
How many miles should you put on a chain? We are just over 6000 miles on the bikes
Shifter issue
Shimano Alivio 8 speed derailleur
On my bike when you shift from high to low it will go up one gear, and then the next shift it will jump 3 gears.
We replaced the cable and have adjusted the derailleur and it still does this.
The shifter will also indicate the gear jumping.
We replaced the cable and adjusted my wife's derailleur and it is working properly.
Hope I explained this correctly.

Thanks

There is a simple gage available that measures chain wear. You can find it on amazon or prob at your local bike shop. It is easy to use.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
This what I ordered, I have thier tools and they work fine for me. I got the kit for a few bucks more, I'm guessing the chains will need to be replaced.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Make sure the pulley to cassette spacing is correct. In low gear you want about 5-6mm between the pulley teeth and the cog teeth. Use the derailleur B-screw to adjust this. If the gap is too big you can get multigear jumping.

We were able to get the gears to work correctly, it was nice the other day to be able to change gears, not that there are too many hills in Florida. LOL

We were able to get the gears to work correctly, it was nice the other day to be able to change gears, not that there are too many hills in Florida. LOL
Chain replacement is often the fix to shifting issues. Good for you to get it all figured out and working smoothly. Your 6000 miles was very good life for a chain. Old chains lead to other issues like sprocket wear down.

Speaking of which its usually a good idea to change the rear cassette (or freewheel) after a long stint with a now-worn-out chain. The tooth profile on the cogs wears into a new profile dictated by the worn chain, so if you change one without changing the other, the cogs in the cluster cause the chain to wear much more quickly.

Make sure the pulley to cassette spacing is correct. In low gear you want about 5-6mm between the pulley teeth and the cog teeth. Use the derailleur B-screw to adjust this. If the gap is too big you can get multigear jumping.
I like to make sure my derailleurs shift perfectly before mounting the chain, it's just easier that way. Then a little tweaking
to the index if needed.

So we replaced the chains a few days ago and it was slipping off the cassette when we pedaled the bike, shifted fine in the bike stand.
Today we replaced the cassette on both bikes and all is working right.
Thank you for all the help. I attached a pic of bike stand, I cut down a a 6x6 so I could bolt it to the bike rack, it will hold the bike up, I like to have the front wheel on the ground as it is more stable.

Attachments

• IMG_20240316_111229734.jpg
    IMG_20240316_111229734.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240316_111211064.jpg
    IMG_20240316_111211064.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 14
Back