Bike locks X1 or NYC Lock

ZachParker

Local time
12:54 PM
So i watched a ton of videos. I don't plan on leaving my bike anywhere. if i go inside the store. it's coming with me.
but as per insurance requirements i must buy a lock gold or diamond level.

with the litelok x1 i know it's angle grinder proof somewhat. But what about CUTTING from bolt cutters. No videos talk about that.

I know the forgetaboutit lock can be angled grinded but not cut.

Which one should i get?
i have noticed with the forgetaboutitlock it has a lifetime warranty vs the litelok with one year too.

Litelok X2 or X3 for sure. No bolt cutters shorter than 9' feet long can cut through any good U lock. That's why they don't talk about it. Angle grinders are the only real threat and grinding through the new version of Litelok takes longer than any Kryptonite lock because of special additives in the shackle that Kryptonite doesn't use.

There is only one lock in the world that's nearly impervious to Angle grinders. It's comically large and heavy, looking literally like a cartoon, and it's crazy expensive too. It's not a lock you travel with unless you want to tow it around on a trailer.

A good strategy is to use multiple locks. Two decent locks are better than one so-called impenetrable lock. A gold Onguard, along with a foldylock forever and a chain, cable, or even a cafe lock is better than any single diamond lock out there save perhaps that crazy 20 pound grinder proof U lock I mentioned before. But that lock's 3" diameter shackles wouldn't fit around a 2" wheel.

Read the fine print and forget about gimmicky guarantees or theft insurance. The conditions under which you must file a theft claim with these lock companies are absurd and almost no one ever successfully does it. That's why it's now free. It's not worth the $3.00 extra they used to charge.

As for the warranty on the lock itself, over a year is meaningless. If it doesn't break within a year, it won't break in 5 years. If it does, it will be your fault for improper maintenance and not covered under warranty.

Litelok X3 is heads and tails better than any of Kryptonite's models. It's just a matter of cost. I would rather use one Litelok X3 and one lighter lock than two Fuggetaboudit locks.

Get a diamond rated lock. Just be sure to use a second and even a third device because ratings don't mean much to a thief with a grinder. Time does.

Well, 249 pounds, so yeah. Pretty pricey.
I use an Onguard Brute LS (long shank) along with a Foldylock Forever. The Brute is/was on sale for $65 and the Foldylock was $105 so it totalled up to about 10% of the bike's price. which I think is a reasonable level of security.

Just for yuks, checK out the Alton SA. That one takes at least 4 grinding wheel and a couple batteries to chew through.

The Hiplock D1000 is the only lock that can prevent someone with a portable cut-off saw from cutting through the lock and walking off with your bike. Expensive at $300 but it will last a lifetime and can be used on any bike you own now or own in the future.

With a tiny 6" x 3.6" locking area, that Hiplok is fairly wothless for most ebikes I've seen, particularly anything with fat tires. You'd need a cable or chain in most cases, rendering it worthless, just like that $300 Alton SA lock that scares away angle grinders by its looks alone.

Now, if you have a skinny tire road bike with a 1" frame, and you lock to a 2" post, it might be fine. But it still isn't grinder proof. No lock is. Some just take a minute longer than others.

Also, any thief with a grinder won't hesitate to cut a slot out of a bike rack, or to fell a street sign. Fact is, there's no good physical defense to angle grinders. The best you can hope for is to make them draw attention to themselves by spending an extra 30 seconds showering sparks all over the place.

If you parked intelligently in the first place, that extra 30 seconds would make little difference. If you parked somewhere stupid, it wouldn't make any difference either.

I looked at both the Hiplok D1000 and the upcoming DX1000 that is much bigger. Thing is, the DX1000 is so big its now too big. A lock like this should not be used to secure a bike to something. Its best used to disable the bike so it cannot be portable.

Use a second lock to attach the bike to something, and let the angle-grinder-proof lock make it impossible to do anything but carry the bike away from there once the stationary-object lock is defeated. Most motorcycle thefts for instance are roll-aways. If you can't roll it away, you need a crew and a truck to actually steal it. Nothing is impregnable forever, but you are creating a locking scheme that makes it impossible to succeed against unless you are doing something like leaving the bike in an alley for a full day, and there is a working power plug next to the bike.

My 2-meter boron steel noose chain (Pragmasis 11mm) and 18mm stainless steel U lock (Xena XSU310) will hold the bike in one spot. My Litelok wraps around the frame and rear wheel to make sure there's nothing you can do with the bike if you manage to get thru them.

The Hiplock D1000 is the only lock that can prevent someone with a portable cut-off saw from cutting through the lock and walking off with your bike.
No thats not true. The Litelok X1 is a direct competitor to the Hiplok and does roughly the same thing. The Litelok X3 is considerably up-armored. Reviews from professionals say its more resistant to angle-grinders than the Hiplok. The X3 and the Hiplok D1000 are both priced at about $300.

I looked at both the Hiplok D1000 and the upcoming DX1000 that is much bigger. Thing is, the DX1000 is so big its now too big. A lock like this should not be used to secure a bike to something. Its best used to disable the bike so it cannot be portable.

Use a second lock to attach the bike to something, and let the angle-grinder-proof lock make it impossible to do anything but carry the bike away from there once the stationary-object lock is defeated. Most motorcycle thefts for instance are roll-aways. If you can't roll it away, you need a crew and a truck to actually steal it. Nothing is impregnable forever, but you are creating a locking scheme that makes it impossible to succeed against unless you are doing something like leaving the bike in an alley for a full day, and there is a working power plug next to the bike.

My 2-meter boron steel noose chain (Pragmasis 11mm) and 18mm stainless steel U lock (Xena XSU310) will hold the bike in one spot. My Litelok wraps around the frame and rear wheel to make sure there's nothing you can do with the bike if you manage to get thru them.
After much consideration, I finally decided screwit. I'm not hauling around an extra 20 lbs and $500 worth of locks for a $2k bike, of which $6-1000 worth is in the 2 batteries. I can insure the whole thing, including accessories, for $250.

So, I got a good quality disc lock with a motion alarm for quick stops, a cable for appearances and a decent "Guardian" or "Bulldog" ? (brain fart. forgot the name) for longer stops. I live in a rural area with ammosexuals neighbors firing off guns 25/8, so I'm not too worried about thieves in my yard or garage. I'm more worried about me in my yard. Or, I'll bring it inside if I'm feeling paranoid or that it's in danger of catching a stray bullet.

I've found that, if you ask nicely, your bike is clean, and there's no good anchor available, most places will let you bring it inside if they have somewhere out of the way to stash it. Otherwise, it doesn't leave my sight or range of hearing for more than a couple minutes, locked of course.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
After much consideration, I finally decided screwit. I'm not hauling around an extra 20 lbs and $500 worth of locks for a $2k bike, of which $6-1000 worth is in the 2 batteries. I can insure the whole thing, including accessories, for $250.

So, I got a good quality disc lock with a motion alarm for quick stops, a cable for appearances and a decent "Guardian" or "Bulldog" ? (brain fart. forgot the name) for longer stops. I live in a rural area with ammosexuals neighbors firing off guns 25/8, so I'm not too worried about thieves in my yard or garage. I'm more worried about me in my yard. Or, I'll bring it inside if I'm feeling paranoid or that it's in danger of catching a stray bullet.

I've found that, if you ask nicely, your bike is clean, and there's no good anchor available, most places will let you bring it inside if they have somewhere out of the way to stash it. Otherwise, it doesn't leave my sight or range of hearing for more than a couple minutes, locked of course.
CAN you insure the bike for that, I bet the insurance states MINIMUM GOLD sold assured or whatever it is in your country.

Many companies will soon insist e abikes are diamond assured

CAN you insure the bike for that, I bet the insurance states MINIMUM GOLD sold assured or whatever it is in your country.

Ahead of the game.
Litelok X1 and Cryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit1410 Chain, both Diamond.

Attachments

• IMG_20231211_161104.jpg
    IMG_20231211_161104.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 56

The U-lock is an OnGuard Brute. Its been some months since I scrutinized the policy I was considering and it was adequate. Security rating of 97 if that's any help.

It's all moot anyway for me. I was in the insurance business. No matter what happens, It would be a lot harder to successfully file a claim and get properly reimbursed than it would to prevent the theft with rubber bands and kite string in the first place.

It looks tough. In reality that's all that really matters at the end of the day. Rookies will be deterred and you're not going to stop a pro at any rate.

I'm going with the strategy of deterrence. I forgot, I got a Foldylock too. So that's 3 locks and a cable to bust through. Probably take as long, all told, as a Hiplok would, but more flexible. Where I live, kids get power tools when they turn 4, so everyone has an angle grinder, but it's not too practical to steal the only e-bike within 50 miles. It's better to steal all the copper wiring from an irrigation pivot, something you know about.

People in these parts don't care much for EVs anyway. Something about America hatin' radical commie extremist liberals somethin', somethin' somethin'..

I use one of these!
Looks like a high deterrence/dollar value, especially at $49 "used, like new". And it's versatile. But I'm not buying the "10 minutes not damage" under an angle grinder, claim. Maybe if the thief tried to attack the least rigid area of the chain with no tension against the cutting disc. Otherwise, I'd give it 4 minutes tops. Two for a pro.
I use one of these!

I'd give it 4 minutes tops. Two for a pro.
I had to dig a little to see the claim its just on one of the illustrations but its typical fly-by-night Far East marketing BS. No reason to posit some sort of weird scenario to make the claim truthful.... It ain't. I mean... 10 minutes without damage is ridiculous. 10 minutes of just bare survival while being cut thru at least once is just as ridiculous, never mind saying 'no damage'.

Its description is "zinc-coated" and "3T manganese steel". Thats tough stuff but its also not hardened. Oops.

At least its a good visual deterrent. But at $85 for a 2M/12mm chain and lock, for not-hardened steel, its no bargain.

Well for me it's a deterrent lock and chain. I will only be locking it up when I go to a store or whatever. It will have 2 locks, a motion alarm, and pedals removed (they are quick release) oh and possibly a tracker on it!

That was basically my point. Unless you're willing to undergo extraordinary expense and trouble, deterrence is the name of the game. A minute spent with a thief scratching his head and wondering if it's worth the trouble is just as good as the minute it takes to cut through an extra 10mm of steel.

Maybe I should design a lock that isn't so much tough or cut resistant, but rather so confusing in use that the thief has no idea of how to go about defeating it. So, he just stands there scratching his head, wondering what the hell that thing is.

Maybe I should design a lock that isn't so much tough or cut resistant, but rather so confusing in use that the thief has no idea of how to go about defeating it. So, he just stands there scratching his head, wondering what the hell that thing is.
Haha!! If you do figure it out let me know! I would totally be in on that. You would make millions!! LOL!!

Google 'puzzle lock' :). The Lockpicking Lawyer has a neat video on how he cracked one in about 20 minutes.

Not exactly what you are talking about but still interesting that such things exist.

Back