Bike locks X1 or NYC Lock

If the threat was lock picking, the puzzle lock would be better than the grinder resistant U locks. But it ain't.

I'm envisioning something with dummy keyholes with guts that don't do anything but waste time. Rods that you can't tell if they'll need to be cut twice, or if they hold some other part that may or may not need to come off. . Intermediate rods or cables that you can't tell what they do exactly. IOW, a big confusing mess. Compactness will be a big issue.

My advice, for what it’s worth, is to use the minimum lock your insurance stipulates….. and don’t fret over things… if the worst happens you’re hopefully covered… my issue would be if you locked your bike’to the hilt’ the damage caused to, say a carbon fibre ‘love child’ would be horrendous if they failed and ‘ragged the living daylights’ out of your pride and joy in a failed theft….just putting it out there…. Hey I’m nobody……

My advice, for what it’s worth, is to use the minimum lock your insurance stipulates….. and don’t fret over things… if the worst happens you’re hopefully covered… my issue would be if you locked your bike’to the hilt’ the damage caused to, say a carbon fibre ‘love child’ would be horrendous if they failed and ‘ragged the living daylights’ out of your pride and joy in a failed theft….just putting it out there…. Hey I’m nobody……
My thinking is that is why you use a visually imposing lock setup. Its clear from just looking at it that an attack is going to be a giant time sink, so the thief moves on to easier game.

A fail in this regard would be using a highly effective but not particularly impressive-looking lock. So the thief decides to give it a go. They fail to get thru the lock, but the damage done by the attempt is still done.

@md4 your idea is an interesting thought experiment but I think its a solution that doesn't address the problem. Thieves aren't thinking about locks. They just cut through them. There is no thought process involved other than an assessment of time needed to tear thru something and viability of success get away. The concept of a puzzling, confusing lock is only useful as a toy to play with, not to actually accomplish something.

I fully understand and agree with all the above. The professional’ thief will always (mostly) get what they want , and there will be some who will trash what they want to steal if things go’pear’ shaped in their attempt… I’m riding a 12kg carbon pedal assist road bike for the love of cycling in the UK. I can just about cope with a 1kg ‘Masterlock’ diamond secure U lock to carry for if/when I cafe stop on a ride. If I don’t pedal, I don’t get anywhere and I’m restricted to assist up to 16 mph! If I was in some of you guys country/situation with massively powerful bikes with the ability to carry a motorcycle 20 mm chain and uncuttable lock, then I probably would, because the weight would unlikely be an issue and would undoubtedly be a visual and real deterrent. I guess my real point was that if I didn’t comply with my insurance stipulation of locked ( minimum gold standard) when left unattended, and worst happens, I would feel stupid if I didn’t leave it correctly locked and couldn’t claim a replacement…. I have no control over what thieves, opportunists or otherwise do and even if I could confront a thief in progress, it’s a bit dodgy these days… high on drugs or ‘carrying’a knife….
Steve

I use 2 locks, one Kryptonite link and one Abus link type and one disc brake lock that is also a 110 decibel siren when I go anywhere with one of my 2 wheelers. When I go with one of my delta homemade trikes it's just usually the disc brake lock. The trikes are never out of my sight plus on the electrical side the Bafang display needs a passcode to be activated.

As far as insurance personally I feel it's a waste of my money, basically it seems like I'm betting some jerk is going to steal my bike. Which of course is exactly what said jerk would like to do. When years ago 2 motorcycles were stolen from my garage the home insurance would have covered me except for the deductible and then the premiums would rise the next year. So my feeling is insurance is a rigged game and I would prefer to put my money on locks and alarms. Having said that home and fire and of course auto and life insurance are good considering the cost of replacing a home, etc.

They aren't even gold rated are they ?,
They are Bicycle Diamond and Motorcycle Diamond. For those who aren't familiar with Sold Secure ratings (thats a UK thing), Bicycle Diamond is the top tier, and Motorcycle is a whole other rating scale more stringent than Bicycle.

With the success of what is really a new class of lock, If I was Kryptonite or Abus with their marketing budgets I'd want a piece of that action. I think we're going to see more products in this vein introduced by the bigger players.
I don’t get anywhere and I’m restricted to assist up to 16 mph! If I was in some of you guys country/situation with massively powerful bikes with the ability to carry
I am SO glad I don't live in the UK, where they make the EU restrictions look lax. Even a rider who decides to 'pedal furiously' is technically violating the law. Totally different world than here. That speed limit sign is in mph not km/h. The bike lane on the side of the road is multi-use. Speed restricted to 20 mph. The bike lane marked by the white line is unrestricted. I can pedal to any speed without concern from law enforcement, because our laws regulate assistance level, not speed, so a bike can go up to the legal auto speed on any road so long as it can be justified as "safe for conditions" (and the bike only peaks to 450w total at cruise, so the whole "massively powerful' thing is not really a factor).

willow[1].png

The fast 450w bike is this one. Big chainring and chain line biased to work with the small cogs.

pxl_20210411_005402600-1-e1618183462113[1].jpg

Nice bike! You could do some serious touring with that amount of carrying capacity!
Just avoid ‘Honster’ and ‘Hardknot’ passes if you ever get to the Lake District (26 and 30%)!!
in UK!! Not to mention the mere 25% here in North Wales!……we all have different needs, requirements and what we get pleasure out of… for me, at the moment and I hope I can continue into my 70’s, is just enjoying riding my bike with as much physical effort I can, as long as I am able to……
Be lucky!
Steve

Nice bike! You could do some serious touring with that amount of carrying capacity!
You could, but its a grocery getter and a daily driver. When I park my car from an out of town trip (My office is in a town 150 miles away and Itravel there once weekly... which is where the green bike is) I keep the car parked for the week and only use the bike for local transportation and errands (I'm 61 so I hear you on the need to stay active - and breathing - for as long as possible).

Just today I took my one I keep at home - config'd as a hill climber as it lives in an entirely different town - to the grocery store for a curbside pickup. That hill climber has a top speed of only around 24-25 mph (pedaling furiously) and an average speed of around 15-18... It is geared for hills with a 42T in front rather than a 52T, and chainline biased further in to the bigger cogs. It can crawl up an extremely steep grade with two 50 lb bags of gravel in the cargo bay at 5-8 mph - a hill so steep most normal bikes can't get up it at all never mind with 100 lbs of gravel.

That gravel only takes up a fraction of that cargo box. For groceries, that box alone is not a lot compared to the volume of a shopping cart. This was a run to the same grocery store a few weeks ago. With the net on top of the bin I can hold down more stuff on top, even.
20231105_065646.jpg

Jesus Matt!! Can you please move next door to me so we can ride together...PUHLEEEESEEEEEEE!!!@!@@

""Coughs""

Tomorrow Tomorrow ...Heh lol....Rememeber Remember ;)

Back