How weatherproof are E-bikes

Train Dan

Local time
8:11 AM
Another poster here referred to their E-bike being a help in rainy weather....
Which makes me wonder; how well do E-bikes tolerate getting wet?
My particular E-bike is a Trek with the Bosch powertrain, and I've avoided it getting a drenching. This applies to when I'm riding it, or hauling it. Unhappily, it won't fit inside the Wrangler.
How much concern is a good soaking to an E-bike.
Thanks,
Dan

Well with all things, it depends on the bike. All brands and models differ on how well the company attempted to waterproof (or not) their electronics. My bike does not have a particular waterproof rating, however I have been caught in sudden rainstorms and not had time or place to take shelter. In these cases i hit maximum peddle assist and go for nearest shelter of any type. After the ride I wipe down my bike with a microfibre cloth and apply a bit of oil and an oil rag over areas that may rust or corrode. Also if your bike has an external battery make sure to dry it best you can before attempting a charge just in case of water ingress. I work on the following principles where possible:
1. Avoid large puddles where possible
2. check power and signal wires on bike every now and then (unless internally routed obviously) just in case of loss of shielding.
3. Check seals around battery and battery charging port. If you have one use the port cover. If you don't then consider a piece of tape over the port if wet weather is expected.
4. If you have a pannier a carrier bag kept inside can be used to cover the battery or the assist controls. (a simple clear sandwich bag with an elastic band will keep your cycle computer / electric assist controller dry in the rain)
5. Mud guards can be a pain, but in the wet they do really show their worth.
6. If in doubt take shelter when you can and wait for it to ease.
7. After rain don't wait to dry your bike as rust can form very quickly. And no matter how expensive the bike there is always something that will rust or oxidise. Just dont get oil on your pads or brake disks.

So basic rule of thumb is they will ride on wet ground, they can in most respects tolerate light rain for a short time. But in the end better safe than sorry. Occasion spit splat of rain isnt going to hurt either so if your feeling the occasional drop hit full power and get where your going quick.

Liquid electrical tape and ACF-50 spray works wonders when used correctly, just sayin....

Human, Lexx, could you be a little more specific about 'liquid electrical tape'; specific brand, and where you would apply it?
Lexx, your advice sounds logical, in general terms.
Thanks.
venriley, I'll have a look at your link; hoping it has something specific about the Bosch system.
Anyone else?
Best,
Dan

I apply the liquid electrical tape to the bottom of my BBSHD where the wires come out of the motor.
It all seems to be potted at that point, i just apply to sooth my own worrysome mind :ROFLMAO:

I also have a brake connection that a piece of the (waterproof?) connection housing broke so i use that on there as well.

It can be obtained from many places, https://duckduckgo.com/?q=liquid+electrical+tape&t=ffab&ia=web

It's pretty good stuff but a bit messy at first.

Ride Safe!! :cool:

HP

Specific brand i use is the star bright brand. Not sure how the others stand up but the star bright has been on the bottom of my motor for going on a year now.
I just went and looked at it and it looks unscathed.
I ride in rain and snow and have not had a problem (knock on wood)
I just took the liberty to butter things up that i thoiught needed it. The ACF-50 i've used on the internals (circuit board and some connections)
on the BBSHD motor when i took it apart to change the grease on the gears.

I might go a bit overboard at times i suppose :ROFLMAO:

Yinz boys are far more into the nuts and bolts (and electronic magic) of your bikes than I am. Mechanical stuff I tend to understand, the electrical not so much.
The notion of simply covering the electronic controller sounds like a great place to start, in terms of practical considerations.
Dan

Here I go about to sound like a shill again. CORROSION X IS WONDERFUL!
It's dielectric so you can spray it straight on stuff
It has excellent anti-corrosion and lubrication properties
It is really hard to rinse off.

However... do NOT get it on your brake rotors or pads, you will freakin' NEVER get it off!

I also ride with some ziploc baggies and zip ties and if it starts really raining I enclose the electronic screen

Another point: Your controller processes a lot of amps, it needs to shed heat. Be careful not to overdo making your controller weatherproof. A perfectly sealed controller is a perfect meltdown.

Hi, Had both trek powerflys and rails over last 6 years. All doing over 5000 miles. They are off road bikes and we live in the uk. We have ridden through streams, deep puddles and lots of thick mud. We completely douse the bikes with a hose pipe when cleaning and never had any issues. Never had any water ingress to battery etc. We do dry off and lube before putting away. I hope that helps.
Kes

I've pressure washed mine at a carwash several times with no problem. I wouldn't want to immerse it in water though.

kesd, what powertrain is in your Trek? That's a glowing endorsement of all the time use. Realize you Brits use bikes more as transportation than just entertainment.
Plastic baggies for the controller sounds like a solid idea.
Dan

I'd be more concerned about water getting into the hub motor. I don't think these are sealed in any way other than just having the screws tight. Seems water could easily seep in.

SDGuitar, may well be, tho' at least in my case, it's not the issue.
Got a ride planned for tomorrow in the Indian Summer sunshine.
Dan

I'd be more concerned about water getting into the hub motor. I don't think these are sealed in any way other than just having the screws tight. Seems water could easily seep in.
If my Rattan worked at all I'd be afraid to ride it near a sprinkler. The motor, controller, battery... everything but the tires, pedals, and handlebars would have to be shrink wrapped before I'd trust it to make it through a puddle

I rode my ebike in Rain, Snow, Heat for two years. The best thing that you can do is store the battery indoors when the bike is not in use. Other than that the bike is pretty robust. I did switch to a belt driven internal gear hub bike though.

If my Rattan worked at all I'd be afraid to ride it near a sprinkler. The motor, controller, battery... everything but the tires, pedals, and handlebars would have to be shrink wrapped before I'd trust it to make it through a puddle
I agree about the shrink wrap! Lectric says their bikes are somewhat water resistant and can be ridden in light rain but all it takes is one drop to land in the wrong place and you will have a problem. Where I live it never rains unexpectedly and I have no desire or need to ride in the rain anyway so I'm not really worried but the display, battery and controller compartment, and hub motor don't look the least bit water resistant to me. Like I mentioned, the motor is what worries me the most. It looks like water would easily seep in since there are no seals or gaskets or anything like that. going through a puddle any deeper than 4 or 5 inches would probably drown it. That's not much deeper than the height of a curb.

One thing that does disappoint me is that it doesn't look like it would be good to ride it along the beach. I live near the beach and see a lot of people riding bikes by the water when the tide is low and there's a lot of hard packed sand. I'd love to do that but I'm worried that the sand would get everywhere and just the salt in the air would destroy the electronics pretty quickly.

I agree about the shrink wrap! Lectric says their bikes are somewhat water resistant and can be ridden in light rain but all it takes is one drop to land in the wrong place and you will have a problem. Where I live it never rains unexpectedly and I have no desire or need to ride in the rain anyway so I'm not really worried but the display, battery and controller compartment, and hub motor don't look the least bit water resistant to me. Like I mentioned, the motor is what worries me the most. It looks like water would easily seep in since there are no seals or gaskets or anything like that. going through a puddle any deeper than 4 or 5 inches would probably drown it. That's not much deeper than the height of a curb.

One thing that does disappoint me is that it doesn't look like it would be good to ride it along the beach. I live near the beach and see a lot of people riding bikes by the water when the tide is low and there's a lot of hard packed sand. I'd love to do that but I'm worried that the sand would get everywhere and just the salt in the air would destroy the electronics pretty quickly.
I get it. My Rattan is advertised as being good in snow but the instructions, once it arrived, say do not use in wet conditions lol. I hadn't thought about sand but that stuff gets everywhere and would be next to impossible to get it all out

Back